Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: What do you think of the reverse grid?
It's a joke, get rid of it 14 73.68%
I reckon it's great. 3 15.79%
I don't know 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Jun 2001, 20:39 (Ref:103529)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you like the reverse grid?

Do you like the idea of the reverse grid, as seen at Canberra? I certainly don't and i think John Bowe summed things up by saying it is a joke. Good to see Neil Crompton air his views on it.

As Barry Sheene said, a reverse grid at Canberra is basically like setting up an accident.

It's silly. Why should the fastest cars start last?
Old 10 Jun 2001, 22:44 (Ref:103593)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know...

If you look back a few years, if cars didn't go home with a bit of panel damage, then there was probably something wrong.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 22:51 (Ref:103597)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just don't blame the WASCC. They devised the Reverse Grid race in modern times, but only for State level racing as a variation, a way of making the day more interesting.

It does this well, but for Championship races it is a farce. And anyone that goes panel bending to get to the front at a State level meeting has rocks in his head. Actually, that applies to all panel bending that's done deliberately.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 01:44 (Ref:103655)   #4
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think reverse grid is a stooopid idea for top level racing.
It should be kept in its place which, in my opinion, is clublevel and classics meets when there is a huge difference between the fastest and slowest cars.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 03:13 (Ref:103693)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think it's a mistake on a track like canberra - with all the concrete walls. It's far more interesting to watch but I'm not the one paying the bills.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 04:19 (Ref:103706)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont mind the reverse grid races ..but they shouldnt have it at canberra ..they need room to move like Phillip island or eastern creek or something ..drivers need the room to pass the slow guys.

I think the Canberra track is a complete joke its useless..its not entertaining and looks like a complete mess..I hate the place and think they should scrap the race alltogether.

but thats another story.

I like reverse grid races there a bit of fun and it was great to see Steve reed on pole after all those years but in no way they should have it at Canberra.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 04:54 (Ref:103714)   #7
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the Canberra track is a complete joke its useless..its not entertaining and looks like a complete mess..I hate the place and think they should scrap the race alltogether.
I agree with you completely Marcus. The place is very boring, and as is becoming the norm these days in V8's there was not a great deal of action. My wife was watching with me and it has to be good for her to watch and she got up and said this is a stupid track, no one can overtake anyone and she left.

Marcos ambrose came from the rear of the grid, but he said he only passed 1 car on the track, he passed the rest of them while they were in the pits.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 05:21 (Ref:103720)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it is that bad an idea....just because I have been many a reverse grid race at places like QR and Lakeside turn into absolute disaster. I think if you give people a bit more breathing space on a wide open track, they are more likely to take a risk...and wind up paying for it.

Because Canberra is so restricted, people are more likely to hold back because they know a move is more likely to wind up in carnage. Also because the track is so slow, if there is contact, it most likely won wind up in a 'big one'.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:11 (Ref:103758)   #9
MadMick
Rookie

MadMick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day All

Firstly Hi to everyone, Im new here and this is my first post, looks like a top little forum you got here and I hope to get to know you as time goes by. I am a Holden nut and a HRT member, but still talk to you Ford people <g>.

I was at Canberra last year and again this year and think the reverse grid is a complete failure. It does nothing for the sport except cost the teams a hep of money in damage.

Most people I spoke to down there were of the same opinion including ALL the drivers I spoke to (and there were a few :-) ).

As for the track and facilities in general I think it was 110% improvement on last year and if they can make the track a bit wider it should be a good exciting venue.

It was good to see a Ford win at last hehe, and hopefully it will now be a more equal, exciting season.

cya l8r

MadMick :-)
Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:24 (Ref:103763)   #10
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gday Madmick and welcome to the fun house

Quote:
I am a Holden nut and a HRT member, but still talk to you Ford people
Us Ford fans in here will still let you in, but dont expect a free ride
Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:31 (Ref:103768)   #11
MadMick
Rookie

G'day mtpanorama

Thanx for the welcome, but bein a Holden man I dont need a ride ! hehe <g>

cya l8r

Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:32 (Ref:103770)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MadMick
As for the track and facilities in general I think it was 110% improvement on last year
Yeah - they managed to sweep 60% of the leaves off the track this year.

Still didn't help Skaife win by a 'nose' though
Old 11 Jun 2001, 07:41 (Ref:103775)   #13
MadMick
Rookie

G'day Racey

Yeah leaves are a prob, but I cant see em letting someone like me loose with a chainsaw hehe , and since when does Skaify need help to win ?? <g>

cya l8r

Old 11 Jun 2001, 09:05 (Ref:103813)   #14
Ray Bell
Veteran

No way with the chainsaw in those environs... and the leaves are a carefully planned product of the City Fathers. Actually, Autumn in Canberra is quite pretty, though it's early Winter now.

Now, MadMick, is Skaifey as unpopular among the lesser ranks in the team as he is among those outside who know him?
Old 11 Jun 2001, 09:16 (Ref:103818)   #15
MadMick
Rookie

G'day Ray

The chainsaw comment was obviously a joke , it is very pretty down there and I really dont think it causes as much trouble as everyone makes out.

As for Skaifey being unpopular, you obvioulsy know something I dont ? , I think he is a top bloke and judging from the amount of fans chasing him I think they agree.

I have heard the odd person say that on a personal level he can be a bit off, but I have never seen it.

I cant think of too many drivers that don't have someone putting **** on em besides the Boy Wonder !! , he seems to be popular with everyone except TW
Old 11 Jun 2001, 09:30 (Ref:103823)   #16
Ray Bell
Veteran

True, Russell's spoiled kid projects a better public image today than he used to when he was under Freddy's umbrella. Those days he ran the F Holden too, and Mark Larkham was his big opponent. Mark told me that you couldn't count the people who said things to him like "run him off the track!" (the extreme) or "Blow the doors off him!" (the mildest) when he was racing against him.

I'm told that the universal hatred may be gone, but that his personality hasn't really changed. He was at his worst during the controversy over the Nissan GTR...
Old 11 Jun 2001, 09:55 (Ref:103831)   #17
MadMick
Rookie

G'day Ray

I don't know Mark on a personal level so I can't really comment on his off track behaviour or personality.

I really only started following him when he joined HRT, but I will admit that his public appearance has improved dramatically in the last couple of years.

As much as I would love to drive one of these machines, I honestly don't think I could handle the pressure of the puplic& media attention and would no doubt smack someone in the gob the first chance I got .

You seem to be in a much better position to comment on him than I am so I will take your word for his off track personality.

Back on the subject of the Boy Wonder, regardless of what type of car he drives, I think he is a very good ambassador for the sport, and I have yet to see him lose his cool or his constant smile.

I think his switch to Ford has done the sport a huge favour and even as a Holden Nut , wish him all the best for the future
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:00 (Ref:103833)   #18
Ray Bell
Veteran

Yes, that smile seems perpetual, doesn't it?

Nice to see someone with all that skill who makes it obvious he enjoys what he does as well. A real natural. Genuinely ADD, of course, that's why he has the abilities piled up one on top of the other.

His daddy drove Fords too, you know...
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:05 (Ref:103834)   #19
MadMick
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Yes, that smile seems perpetual, doesn't it?

His daddy drove Fords too, you know...
G'day Ray

Well I wont hold that against him
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:29 (Ref:103840)   #20
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all I am a Holden fan. Secondly Skaifes problems go back to when he was in the Laser series in the mid Eighties and he whingened and complained that every one was picking on him and running him off the track when in actual fact it was the other way around. He ended up saying he was going to quit half way through the series. So the chips on the should go back to then. Then yesterday was his little outburst to Trevor Ashby over Steve Reed in the second race.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:39 (Ref:103843)   #21
MadMick
Rookie

G'day Colin

His outburst yesterday was because Landsvale accused Skaife of causing the accident, when in actual fact it was Forbes who caused it when he ran into Reed. Skaife had nothing to do with that incident except that IMHO it cost him the round win.

Im surprised he didnt get more agro then he did.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:54 (Ref:103847)   #22
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How ya going Mick

The way it came across was that Skaife was having a go at Reed for causing it. The only problem I have is the only HRT driver I like won't drive until the Endro's GO THOMAS!!!!
Old 11 Jun 2001, 11:22 (Ref:103855)   #23
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
First of all I am a Holden fan.
Well some people never learn do they.

Here I am, good enough to give you a drive in a propper car in '77, and good enough to let you come second after making you look good with the old blue smoke from the front of the car trick to slow me down. And what do I get in return?

"First of all I am a Holden fan"

Some guys never learn. Unlike Lowndes.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 11:27 (Ref:103858)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime

Still didn't help Skaife win by a 'nose' though
- You mean by an arse? Last in one of the three races and unlucky to get the round win....I'd hate to see how he goes when he gets some bad luck
Old 11 Jun 2001, 11:49 (Ref:103863)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
I'd hate to see how he goes when he gets some bad luck
Probably get a guest drive in Rodney Forbes car at Indy