Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Dec 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2361396)   #1
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nissan back to GT1 or GT2?

Interesting piece on SpeedHunters

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008...o-le-mans.aspx

Any thoughts?

John Brooks
Old 27 Dec 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2361398)   #2
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans no, FIA GT yes.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2361404)   #3
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the cars for sale then I would have thought its up to the team that buys it to as to where it races.

Nissan may not want it to run at Le mans but team pressure to do so would mean they changed thier minds and with works teams outlawed from GT2, if thats what it is, then the buyer is king.

given the costs involved in the Japaness GT's and the losses coming from the car makers there, maybe its time they took up GT1/2. It would spead the costs worldwide and allow the cars to race far and wide.

Maybe this is the first step?

Last edited by Nordic; 27 Dec 2008 at 09:04.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2361452)   #4
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
and with works teams outlawed from GT2
How long that can continue if soon GT1 is no more?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2361453)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is currently being discussed at length in the 2009 FIA GT thread.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2361458)   #6
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT2 with these specs

"/ Le Mans specifications /
592 hp ~ 503 rwhp
2976 lbs - still a bit heavy but not too bad.
506 ft/lb ~ 430 rwtq
Le Mans Race teams only
costs: 65,000,000 yen"

wonder what the engine specs are?

Never the less, it will be great to see a Japanese car again in real GT racing.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2361470)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
According to Nissan themselves, it is a GT1 (for the new FIA GT1), with a V8 engine based on their 4.5 V8 unit they had used in Super GT. This has been in the planning for almost three years now. At the current time, I doubt that the ACO will use the same rules as FIA. NNA argued for a GT2 machine, but Nissan did not wish to build a new engine for that category.

Although I am a big fan of the Nissan marque, I can't say I am all that excited to see a car that doesn't have the engine etc... of it's road going counterpart.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2361482)   #8
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
NNA argued for a GT2 machine, but Nissan did not wish to build a new engine for that category.
They could take Corvettes place in GT1 though
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2361522)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm a bit confused since isn't the new GT1 for cars with engines of greater than 5.5 litres (and cars with engines under 5.0 litres being relegated to GT2)?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2361525)   #10
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
According to Nissan themselves, it is a GT1 (for the new FIA GT1), with a V8 engine based on their 4.5 V8 unit they had used in Super GT. This has been in the planning for almost three years now. At the current time, I doubt that the ACO will use the same rules as FIA. NNA argued for a GT2 machine, but Nissan did not wish to build a new engine for that category.

Although I am a big fan of the Nissan marque, I can't say I am all that excited to see a car that doesn't have the engine etc... of it's road going counterpart.
It's the M3 GTR all over again...
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2361526)   #11
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
I'm a bit confused since isn't the new GT1 for cars with engines of greater than 5.5 litres (and cars with engines under 5.0 litres being relegated to GT2)?
I don't think the regulations have been announced yet, but that was one of the ideas Ratel threw around.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2361560)   #12
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it makes sense for nissan to do this, since they are not that interested in racing, and if everyone else doesn't want FIA GT rules, for them to adopt them, and then have the class to themselves makes complete sense.

i don't like it, as i'd rather they actually joined everyone else in ACO GT and showed what they were made of, but marketing imperatives trump competitive spirit at renault-nissan...
Old 27 Dec 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2361561)   #13
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
it makes sense for nissan to do this, since they are not that interested in racing, and if everyone else doesn't want FIA GT rules, for them to adopt them, and then have the class to themselves makes complete sense.

i don't like it, as i'd rather they actually joined everyone else in ACO GT and showed what they were made of, but marketing imperatives trump competitive spirit at renault-nissan...
Nissan may be learning that FIA/ACO GT in Europe and North America would help sell more GT-r and 350z cars. The Super 500 or what ever it is called works marketing wonders for Pan-Asia.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 18:22 (Ref:2361566)   #14
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the car had actually built its reputation across asia before super GT emerged.

and FIA GT doesn't really make sense for north america, since we don't have a series that runs those rules.

it just seems to me that they want to run away from the competition (since they using an engine completely unrelated to the production car, and running in a class no one else cares for)...
Old 27 Dec 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2361600)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist

... and engines between 5.0 and 5.5 can choose their class. This will likely be a 5.0 V8, choosing to go in GT1.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2361623)   #16
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
and FIA GT doesn't really make sense for north america, since we don't have a series that runs those rules.
ACO regs are not that different...

Last edited by deggis; 27 Dec 2008 at 21:16.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2361629)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
An FIA GT only Nissan GT-R is about as relevant as the Gillette Virtigo.

On the other hand, if Nissan were taking on the GT2 regulars and the new M3 GTR, there'd be much excitement.

I'll give the FIA GT organisors some props by admitting they've done a great job with GT3, so much so it could slot into the ACO class structure with ease, but come on, who needs, wants or can afford a GT1 World Championship.

Are the people who decide the likes of Jaguar should enter F1, or this Nissan decision, based on what we know so far, ever made accountable?

If I was running Nissan I'd have the GT-R in GT2, the 350Z/370Z in GT3, I'd then look at using the GT-R engine in 2011 P2.

Or is that too logical/stupid for these highly paid exec's?

Last edited by JAG; 27 Dec 2008 at 21:36.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2361637)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
ACO regs are not that different...

currently.....
Old 28 Dec 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2361672)   #19
crazy
Rookie

crazy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
GT2 with these specs

"/ Le Mans specifications /
592 hp ~ 503 rwhp
2976 lbs - still a bit heavy but not too bad.
506 ft/lb ~ 430 rwtq
Le Mans Race teams only
costs: 65,000,000 yen"

wonder what the engine specs are?

Never the less, it will be great to see a Japanese car again in real GT racing.
Those were speculation by a Japanese mag until an official statement I'll take those numbers with a grain of salt.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2361688)   #20
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
592 bhp in a GT2?

Hardly..
Old 28 Dec 2008, 02:42 (Ref:2361692)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can speak first hand there are a lot of Nissan USA execs that hate racing and are opposed to such programs.

Personally I think it's stupid not to race, especially with the GTR and 370Z happening. They need to inject some sporting pedigree into the brand, instead of the bizarre blandness and weirdness they have now. I know the dealers want it. Especially in this tight economy.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 04:04 (Ref:2361706)   #22
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
It reprints from FIA-GT thread.

The interview of the president of NISMO(Nissan motorsports international) was published in the Car Graphic magazine in Japan. The summary is as follows.

Nissan want to participate in the FIA-GT championship(GT1 class) with GT-R.
However, even if it is early, the participation time becomes after middle 2009.
They want to sell GT-R to customers by 100 million yen, too.
However, if the car that they can win cannot be manufactured, Carlos Ghosn will not say yes to this project.
And they want to be selling the GT4 machine of 370Z by 20,000,000-30,000,000 yen.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 04:08 (Ref:2361707)   #23
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let's hope they recognize the improved marketing opportunities in GT2 and switch over to that, offering customer cars as soon as it's finished.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 06:17 (Ref:2361719)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If the racing GTR has the larger engine (5.0-litre or whatever), GT1 may make more sense. The Matech Ford GTR will be there.

More importantly though, how many cars are CONSISTENTLY competitive in GT2 with an engine larger than what the Ferraris are running? NONE! The problem with effectively having a single GT class is that you either choke the big engines with restrictors, or obliterate the cars with smaller engines, because they likely can't make the power and definitely can't make the torque.

I honestly think the GT2 Corvettes are going to be starved for air, and if the rulemakers don't do that, their low-end grunt could well render the Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, etc uncompetitive.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 07:00 (Ref:2361724)   #25
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
you know, I just dont get why Nissan would be interested in just the FiA GT series?

Surely ALMS and Le Mans would make more sense?