Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 May 2012, 05:51 (Ref:3070115)   #151
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Some excellent pis , thanks Andrew! I saw you braving the cold trackside, it was one of those days I was pleased to be in a hot racing car.

Shame about the Aston & Alfa. When we left last night Rikki's Guys were working on his car but the Giulia was gone.

The GP2 car was an interesting addition at lunchtime (wow, the noise!!) but this year the Lancaster was a day early- it flew over over friday afternoon. Maybe it will be back today!

Great to see tenthers Zef, Gordon S and Peter M all going well, and Graham T's Porsche looked absolutely gorgeous on track.

Our day went exactly to plan, Tango running in a rebuilt engine for the (split) session at max 4K rpm. All working well with none of the oil pressure problems that blighted last year's engine and (touch wood) fuel pump! Afterwards wheels and tyres were whipped into Attleborough for new race Toyos to be fitted. This morning will be putting them through a couple of heat cycles rather than setting a time, so not expecting to be anywhere except back of grid. What's a couple of hundred metres in a 6hr race.....
Old 6 May 2012, 08:48 (Ref:3070144)   #152
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Alfa's out!

It will mend but not quickly.

Paul in one piece and obviously engine was at wrong end of car for his driving style!

Michael Birch tells me that the aim is ready to have it ready for Silverstone Festival.

Sure the aim must be to catch those Cortina's ,No problem 750 KGS and 200BHP!

Just like they raced in period.
Old 6 May 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3070235)   #153
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think it was close to 200 BHP when the Kremers had it, I couldn't get anywhere near it. 2 corners looked very 2nd hand, but I'm sure the Pace boys will sort it out.

We've just got back, great weekend, not too shabby a result either
Old 6 May 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3070244)   #154
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I think it was close to 200 BHP when the Kremers had it, I couldn't get anywhere near it. 2 corners looked very 2nd hand, but I'm sure the Pace boys will sort it out.

WELL DONE JOE !! A stonking result

Mark
Old 6 May 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3070249)   #155
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Mark, it was quite a suprise to qualify on pole, I said to Gordon and Sue, what do you do, Sue's response was 'rag the hell out of it' So I did!
Old 6 May 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3070260)   #156
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Zef, excellent result.
Old 6 May 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3070262)   #157
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Excellent job Joe - well done keeping those Jags honest.
Wish I could have hung on to you 3 at the front but just couldn't keep up and ended up a bit lonely in 4th all race...- the bloody rain just never quite made its' appearance!
Good to hang out with you and the Family.
Old 6 May 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3070263)   #158
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The Alfa's out!

Paul in one piece and obviously engine was at wrong end of car for his driving style!

Michael Birch tells me that the aim is ready to have it ready for Silverstone Festival.

Old 6 May 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3070318)   #159
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos and sounds a good event. Where can we find the results for the HRDC races?
Thanks
G
Old 6 May 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3070324)   #160
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Great photos and sounds a good event. Where can we find the results for the HRDC races?
Thanks
G
Hi, details here :

http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&...eventid=121891
Old 6 May 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3070351)   #161
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Ben, great to meet you at last as well. A great atmosphere all round and incredibly friendly everywhere . . . even met an old sailing mate of my step fathers holed up in the Streeter Gin Palace!

I said last year, to Julius, that the Jag to regular tin top results should be circuit dependant . . .its bloody hard work, but I think its working, we're loosing 2-1 at the moment, and its anyones for the taking, but it certainly looks good from where I'm sitting.

I must add, that it was dissaponting, for all of us, not to have Ian/Celia out in the Warwick, I only got a good qually lap because I was following him, on his home patch . . . . the crank pulley broke and they couldn't find one in time. I'm sure it would have been a 3-4 way dice up front if they'd been in the mix as well.
Old 6 May 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3070366)   #162
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Woohoo, well we only ******* finished with my £160 eBay car. Ruddy slow, but hey, we finished. Next year can't come soon enough this is such s great weekend.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
Old 6 May 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3070369)   #163
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To everyone,

thanks for a great weekend.

To the Gods and the cold weather ....... much room for improvement ... must try harder !!
Old 6 May 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3070375)   #164
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Quote:
Ben, great to meet you at last as well. A great atmosphere all round and incredibly friendly everywhere . . . even met an old sailing mate of my step fathers holed up in the Streeter Gin Palace!

I said last year, to Julius, that the Jag to regular tin top results should be circuit dependant . . .its bloody hard work, but I think its working, we're loosing 2-1 at the moment, and its anyones for the taking, but it certainly looks good from where I'm sitting.

I must add, that it was dissaponting, for all of us, not to have Ian/Celia out in the Warwick, I only got a good qually lap because I was following him, on his home patch . . . . the crank pulley broke and they couldn't find one in time. I'm sure it would have been a 3-4 way dice up front if they'd been in the mix as well.
I thought it might have been something like that that broke on their car... I only got a fleeting glimpse of the large round object bouncing past my ear into
Agostini
Old 6 May 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3070376)   #165
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Help.....why doesn't TSL website show the final classification? It shows up to 5 hours, but not the final result!

So sorry for the Clan crew who seem to have a disastrous race again....
Old 6 May 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3070393)   #166
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Final straw was no. 1 rod letting go!

Qualified all 4 drivers OK.

Successfully took the start this year, but the flywheel sheared its bolts on the first lap. Engine out, welded nuts onto the remains to get them out of the crank, rebuilt and got going OK until the gear stick broke.

Fixed that OK and then the engine blew.

It wasn't meant to be...
Old 6 May 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3070414)   #167
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent result Zef.

Fantastic efforts by all for the 6 hrs too. Loved the RLM commentary and suspect that a lot of eBay 924s will sell but not if the owners want more than £160.

I've not read though all the results sheets so there are bound to be others who should be named and congratulated.

It does occur to me that there might be an opportunity to expand on the concept - maybe into Spain for a start to make racing affordable for them and create a model for a future austere Europe!

Plus the Caterhams - perhaps a budget endurance series for them?

And of course well done Claire and John for getting the concept operational and proving it can grow enjoyably from the competitors POV. Watch out for ringers next year though - I heard Alex Brundle being interviewed at one point ...

So, back with the same car and looking for a podium finish next year Max? You might have to spend another £50 or so though .... an beat off a local challenger.
Old 6 May 2012, 23:52 (Ref:3070460)   #168
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post
Final straw was no. 1 rod letting go!

Qualified all 4 drivers OK.

Successfully took the start this year, but the flywheel sheared its bolts on the first lap. Engine out, welded nuts onto the remains to get them out of the crank, rebuilt and got going OK until the gear stick broke.

Fixed that OK and then the engine blew.

It wasn't meant to be...
What a tale of woe, Simon - desperately sorry for all of you.....maybe its time for a 924.......
Old 7 May 2012, 05:52 (Ref:3070490)   #169
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent effort by all who took part yesterday,some fantastic results that showed the resolve of the drivers and teams. Congratulations to you all.We were unable to see much from just below RC,but were kept upto date by Hindies usual first class commentary.Great to have met up with so many Tenthers during my mid race break,thanks to Peter Wright who kindly stood in for me.
Great that you didn't need my services during the first/last two hours,well done all,great racing!
Old 7 May 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3070497)   #170
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
YES!

Just got up and the events of the w/end have begun to sunk in. At 3rd attempt have not only built a car to run for the whole 6hrs reliably, but managed to finish on the podium as well. Another racing box ticked!

First, bigest thank-you to all the Marshals, rescue and other teams who turned out in typical British bank holiday weather to look after us all. You are all heros!

While waiting for TSL update their results (hopefully) the top 3 at end were Climax Motorsport BMW 325, Rusty Nail Golf GTI and Team Tango 924. Now, if you think back to all the talk about this race over last 3 years, there on the podium are 3 different cars (frequently mentioned) that are relatively cheap to buy, prepare and run, and all bloody good fun as well!!!! So GET OUT THERE AND GET PREPARING for next year, people!

Cliff and I were bemused on arrival at the circuit Friday afternoon to find another team next to us had erected a big awning behind the garages that took up most of our space as well as theirs, and with at least 25 bods there were several other private cars as well. Cliff suggested I should go home and get my truck and request them to move the awning but no, beating them on track would give more satisfaction...... Our team, btw, consisted of just Cliff and me on saturday, with Mrs Ryan and Daniel joining us for sunday. I had just fitted Tango with a newly rebuilt and un-run engine, so first day qualifying consisted of bedding in engine and making sure all worked. Then we took last year's rubber into Attleborough and had new race 888s fitted. Sunday qualifying Cliff did 4 laps to put new tyres thorugh a heat cycle, then came in. Plan was for me to wait until end, then do 4 more laps and put them through another cycle. Unfortunately as I went out the session was red flagged so I only got one lap- not quite to plan!

For the race, we planned driver changes at 90, 180 & 270 minutes, with 30 litres of fuel to be added at each. The tank had 45 litres in at start, and at end of race 15 litres, so used 120 litres in 6hrs...... (160 in total with two practices.) Cliff did first stint, and car behaved perfectly. First stop OK, and my stint started a bit slow (very rusty!) but was on pace we aimed for fairly soon. Reckoned that car would do 2-30s for ever using 5k max rpm and that would be enough for a shout of top five finish. Near end of my stint SC was deployed, so I pitted during the period for swap and more fuel. Car still perfect. Cliff was soon bettering our predicted pace by a couple of seconds without trying hard and as others pitted with various maladies we moved up the order. Last stop again went smoothly but the drizzle that had been apparant on several occasions came and in interests of finish kept within limits of grip available, which varied from lap to lap! Also found if I took esses too aggresively that oil light would blink, so maybe sump level had dropped a bit. Found smoothest line I could and near end of race set my fastest lap so as usual smoothest is best! Eventually the last lap board came with Tango lapping faster than at start of race and feeling ready for another 6hrs!

Brilliant race, co-driver, pit crew (thanks Daniel!) and provider of lunch (Mrs R!). Can't tell you how much it means personally to get a car to run that hard for that long without having to put a spanner on it all weekend. Although we tended to change up at sensible rpm, Cliff and I made full use of the cars superb handling on the twisty bits. To coin a phrase- we 'drove the wheels off it'! And maybe now the front pads have done two years 360, I may have to fit new ones for next year.....

Thank you to Claire, John and all others involved in 360MRC for again making this race happen. And of course Terri and Grant for giving official Ten-Tenths support, plus John H and Radio LM for keeping us entertained while not in the car! I will continue to support the race and enthuse about it and try to pursuade others to join us. It is unique.

Oh, and the team mentioned earlier next to us in garage? They retired after 4 laps....... (Did feel sorry for the car owner, though!)

Old 7 May 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3070506)   #171
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great summary, really captures the spirit of the event, and a fantastic job to get Team Tango on the podium!
Old 7 May 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3070519)   #172
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The Alfa's out!

Saw the car on Saturday (were you there John, in which case very sorry not to catch up!) and hugely disappointed not to see it there yesterday and to find out why.
Old 7 May 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3070527)   #173
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great summary and result, Mike, and I'm sorry did not get to say 'hello' this year.
I see Andy has put some great pics up, but I'll add a few with the health warning (my usual excuse, these days) that I took them with my old camera.

Great to catch up with everyone again. The event is worth it just for the socialising but as Mike has said it does have a special atmosphere and we need to encourage more to enter. Hugely disappointing to lose both of Rikki's Astons and that lovely Alfa before the event and then the Porsche 911SC after so few laps. I suppose at the risk of upsetting a few, but then you know I'm a fan of old BMWs, I suppose the star for me was probably Les Ely's 2000Ti, which after a fairly measured start really flew and moved up the order, at one point, leading. I left after 5 hours to get home to feed the dogs!
Old 7 May 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3070535)   #174
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
and I'm sorry did not get to say 'hello' this year.
Yes John. Likewise!

Have to agree about the BMW2000, sounded and was going great until what I guess was a manifold or exhaust problem. As have said before, the ex-Kremer family Alfa is a favourite of mine as well, so it was very sad to see the damage on Saturday. Definitely wouldn't T-cut out....... Also very disappointed for Rikki and his crew. After having worked into the night to get the Aston front end rebuilt, to have a mechanical failure next morning is just not fair. Loved the paper plate headlights though! A well deserved 'Spirit of the Meeting' award.

Old 7 May 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3070546)   #175
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit and Paddock

I'll put up 2 or 3 posts of pit and paddock shots. Some interesting cars there and a lot of ground to cover.
Attached Thumbnails
360MRC6May2012 011wb.jpg   360MRC6May2012 021wb.jpg   360MRC6May2012 025wb.jpg  

360MRC6May2012 036wb.jpg   360MRC6May2012 049wb.jpg   360MRC6May2012 069wb.jpg