Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2002, 14:13 (Ref:196540)   #1
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone interested in starting a thread on Derek Warwick?

This is a thread that we can all reminisce about Derek Warwick - that is if anyone is interested...

Well, I am if anyone else!!!
Old 10 Jan 2002, 14:27 (Ref:196547)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
memories of derek warwick......monza's big accident (can't remember year) and hockenheim '93, another big accident and not alot else, sorry.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 14:42 (Ref:196559)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Monza 1990 was the Lotus shunt.

Warwick was pretty good but again was always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

what would have happened if lotus didnt dump him (On Senna's recommendation) for Johnny Dumfries in 1986 ????

he had some huge shunts in F1 didnt he ?

but I liked him but from what I have heard he wasnt that popular when he joined the BTTC
Old 10 Jan 2002, 15:02 (Ref:196568)   #4
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
yes those shunts (Monza 90 and Hockenheim 93) always spring to mind. Canada 88 is a good one too!!!

He was my favourite british F1 driver for a long time - since 1984 in the Renault. at that time he was seen as more likely to "make it" than Nigel Mansell...

Derek even turned down the Williams drive for 1985 which Mansell eventually took!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It still gets to me that he never won a GP. I remember 1989 Canadian GP in the rain which was his for the taking except that the Arrows engine blew. To this day I hate the Arrows team!!!

I found it harder to watch him in BTCC - really he was always on a hiding to nothing in that category.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:18 (Ref:196591)   #5
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Anyone interested in starting a thread on Derek Warwick?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Moon Monkey
that is if anyone is interested...
I dunno, did he ever drive for Minardi?
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:22 (Ref:196592)   #6
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
thankfully, Derek never drove for Minardi!!! But then again driving for Arrows for 4 seasons must have been just as soul destroying...
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:25 (Ref:196595)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Him and Cheever did ok in 88 didnt they...or am I completely wrong...?
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:32 (Ref:196605)   #8
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
yes they did - 4th in the constructors and delboy finished 7th in the WDC. 1988 stands as Arrows's best season in F1 so far. a reliable car allowing the drivers to score lots of (minor) points finishes.

Even so...
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:39 (Ref:196607)   #9
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derek was a gutsy driver.....its times like that at Hockenhiem in the morning Warm up that shows the men from the boys ...derek driving down to the 3rd chicane in zero visabilty and what must be 160moh in the rain...suddenly hits the Slow moving Minardi ( i think ) of Luca Badoer ...slices one complete side of the car off , and is a then just a passenger in the car until it hits the gravel trap...ends up upside down i think ....and gets taken straight to hospital , only to be back in time to line up on the grid at midday in the spare car....Considering his younger brother was killed in a F3 car at Donnington....you really have to admire this guy !
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:47 (Ref:196610)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very close Silver ..it was Luca Badoer but it was the Scuderia italia Lola ferrari to be techinical
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:50 (Ref:196614)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Not quite there yet though... it was an F3000 race at Oulton...
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:51 (Ref:196616)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whats he up to at the moment?
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:57 (Ref:196617)   #13
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
very close Silver ..it was Luca Badoer but it was the Scuderia italia Lola ferrari to be techinical
thats right...i remember now , did they merge with Minardi in 94 ????

Craig Antill....thanks Craig....i will get my facts right in a minute !!!
Old 10 Jan 2002, 18:23 (Ref:196667)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think we should blame MR V here for started a thread without checking the weather first !!!!...LOL...SILLY MR V !

hey there silvers...remember posting the above comment??SILVERS95 quote:
and this below:-

Craig Antill....thanks Craig....i will get my facts right in a minute

don't wanna start any arguements (again) but see....we all make mistakes!!! ha ha ha
Old 11 Jan 2002, 09:40 (Ref:196926)   #15
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
Derek was Mr Ironballs. Monza 90 his Lotus overturned on the exit of the parabolica at the end of lap 1. Derek, raced out of the car and sped straight down the pit lane for the spare. A number of drivers would have bottled it. Eventually Sid Watkins caught up with him and was amazed how calm he was before the restart!!!

Spain 1990 when Martin Donnelly, Derek's Lotus Teammate, was almost killed in qualifying (there is a famous pic of Donnelly still strapped into his seat lying on the track with bits of Lotus all over the track). Derek decided to race on and qualified 10th (which was excellent for Lotus that year) despite the team unsure why the accident to Donnelly occurred. That takes real guts!

It was a real shame that he lost out on a drive in F1 after 1990 and really his "comeback" in 1993 for Footwork Arrows turned out to be disappointing for both driver and team.

He is currently a Director of Triple Eight Engineering which runs the Vauxhall team in the BTCC.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:34 (Ref:196948)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember his sportscar exploits with Jaguar. He drove well in the Jag at Le Mans and in the sprint races.

He came second in the great XJR14 in the drivers championship in 1991 behind Teo Fabi, who was one of his team mates. I think he lost out because of a rule that said if you drove more than one car you didn't score points. Or you had to be nominated in one car. Or something like that. It was a bit of a mix up with TWR and the organisers. This gave Fabi the advantage which he held on to through the rest of the year.

He helped Jaguar to another constructors championship, which is the important thing in Sportscar.

The following year he won Le Mans for Peugeot (although I didn't see this - the only year I have missed since 1990).

Del Boy - top bloke.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:58 (Ref:196952)   #17
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza... Got to be Monza. Not just because the accident was so spectacular, but also because of his after race comment whilst being interviewed by a young Italian female reporter....

When asked 'Derek, what was going through your mind when this (the accident) happened' to which Derek gave this response...

'erm... oh Sh@t?!!'

Also met him at Silverstone a few years ago when he was a touring car peddler, and I have to say that he is an absolute gentleman and a scholar.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 13:27 (Ref:196998)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I remember his sportscar exploits with Jaguar. He drove well in the Jag at Le Mans and in the sprint races.
A gutsy guy and a strong racer. I did hear from a Jaguar insider some years ago though that he was considered to be a "primadonna" by TWR when he raced at Le Mans in 1986.

My memories are sportscar based (inevitably), but I do remember how uptight he got in the first hour or so at Le Mans in 1992 (which he won of course). Volker Weidler was driving like a man possessed in the rain in that first stint, fantastic stuff, taking both of the Peugeots and leading the race. Mr. Warwick thought he was pushing too hard, particularly when he overtook the Peugeots, and went down to the Mazda pit to complain! (Not that there was any basis at all to the complaint).

OK, it's a Warwick thread, but as an aside, does anyone know what happened to Volker Weidler? Do I remember rightly that he had to give up racing because of an eye problem?
Old 11 Jan 2002, 13:39 (Ref:197000)   #19
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
I am pleased to hear these sportscar stories - an area in which my knowledge of delboy is a bit sparse other than the main facts including him winning the sportscar title and Le Mans for Peugeot in 1992.

(no idea what happened to Wiedler...)

MoonMonkey
Old 11 Jan 2002, 19:42 (Ref:197149)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weidler retired because of tinnittus (ringing in the ears) when it looked like his career was taking off again in jap f3000 - shame...