Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Nov 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3588535)   #1
bardy66
Rookie

England
Suffolk
bardy66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boots

I am looking to buy a new pair of boots for next season, can anyone suggest a good reasonably priced boot?
Old 6 Nov 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3588541)   #2
SteveR
Rookie

United Kingdom
SteveR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have an Arco branch nearby, I'd suggest you have a look in there (or, look on their website). They have work boots in all prices, from the very reasonable to HOW MUCH!!!

I've had a couple of pairs of safety boots from there, and found them reasonably hard-wearing. The ones I had were own-brand, looked like ordinary hiking boots, but had non-slip, oil-resistant soles, and toe-protection.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 12:02 (Ref:3588550)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After going through two pairs of boots in quick succession from a company who were very nice but ultimately produced really disappointing kit, I returned to Magnum and bought another pair from them. All leather, lightweight, great fit...

...but bloody expensive. However, having had to shell out twice in a year for the other manufacturer's boots (one at a 50% discount due to the first pair falling to bits in six months, which the second pair beat by falling apart after 4 months) I figured that the adage of "Buy cheap, buy twice" was pretty accurate.

Given that my last pair of Magnums lasted almost 3 years of trackside use and a lot of walking to/from work, I've developed a bit of brand loyalty.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 17:13 (Ref:3588603)   #4
Sam Collinson
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds
Sam Collinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got a pair of Dunlop safety boots for about 20 quid from Sports Direct. They squeak a little bit after a while, but they're really good for the price they are...

...plus I did get my foot a little bit run over by a Monoposto and they were fine because they have steel toe caps
Old 9 Nov 2015, 08:15 (Ref:3589195)   #5
radreps
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dilton Marsh Westbury Wilts
radreps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aldi work boots £17-99p
Old 10 Nov 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3589430)   #6
vw_nut
Veteran

England
hereford
vw_nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't get anything other than steel toe caps they are an important piece of kit.
Old 10 Nov 2015, 13:26 (Ref:3589485)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_nut View Post
don't get anything other than steel toe caps they are an important piece of kit.
So lots of people keep saying. Except I've never had steel toe caps and never needed them. I do wonder what everyone is doing with their feet that they're so important?

Just make sure whatever you have is waterproof and comfortable because you're going to be in them for a long time. Personally I go for hiking boots, because they're both of the above, and it means that if I do go for a walk, I've got some decent boots for doing so.
Old 10 Nov 2015, 14:55 (Ref:3589491)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've run over my foot with both a single seater and a caterham whilst pushing them around. neither time was i wearing steel toecaps (just standard trainers) and i now have fetchingly ridged big toenails. that's what you're protecting rather than your actual toes.

but perhaps if you are long of limb and taller than your average midget then keeping your feet away from roundy roundy thingies when pushing them around isn't so hard
Old 10 Nov 2015, 15:39 (Ref:3589501)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
"Reasonably priced" is very subjective. Cheap, or good value?

A long time ago I bought a pair of Alt-Berg boots, just plain, old-fashioned leather boots; they are not waterproof, but a version with a waterproof membrane is now available, not steel toe-capped, but the toe-caps will withstand being run over by a Formula Ford, as I've proved more than once. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever had & still look good after many years' service. They also give good ankle support, probably the most important function of a marshalling boot.

A similar pair of boots nowadays would cost around £150. By no means cheap, but they have done well over 500 meetings & are good for a few more; how many cheap pairs of boots would I have got through in that many meetings?

Don't just look at the initial outlay, look at how long the boots will last - that's the true measure of how reasonable the price is!
Old 11 Nov 2015, 10:55 (Ref:3589698)   #10
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HiTec Magnums, every time.

You get what you pay for. If the boots fail, they'll normally see you right for a replacement pair.

Hard/soft toe, its personal preference. I like a hard toe if I'm working trackside, soft if I'm flagging. I have had a F3 car placed on my boots in early career - hard toes at the time meant it was only embarrassing to ask for help to get it off

£20 a year, and mildly uncomfortable, or £60 every three-four years in comfort .
Old 12 Nov 2015, 10:56 (Ref:3589904)   #11
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
So lots of people keep saying. Except I've never had steel toe caps and never needed them. I do wonder what everyone is doing with their feet that they're so important?
Moving single-seaters mainly, whether on circuit, in assembly or in pits...

(Steel toe caps pretty useful - I know - from experience )
Old 12 Nov 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3589919)   #12
bardy66
Rookie

England
Suffolk
bardy66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the advice, I think it is going to be a pair of Magnums