Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Nov 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3588237)   #1
vector-pat
Rookie

England
Newbury, Berks
vector-pat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stan Hunt

It's with a very heavy heart that I write this but sadly Stan passed away yesterday. I can speak on behalf of everyone that worked with, marshalled with and met Stan, that the world is a much better place for him being part of it. I first met him at Thruxton in 1986 on my first day at work there (his first day too) and have been friends ever since. A gentleman in the true sense of the word and I'm truly heartbroken that he's no longer with us but blessed to have known him. Neither Thruxton or his beloved Gurston Down will be quite the same without him but are again, much better places for everything he contributed to them.

As soon as arrangements are known then either Norbert or I will post details.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 07:43 (Ref:3588303)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God Bless, a true gentleman, one of the 'old school'
Old 5 Nov 2015, 07:54 (Ref:3588307)   #3
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very sad news. You could never want to meet a nicer man than Stan. I have learnt so much from Stan throughout my years of marshalling and always knew that I was in for a great day if I was on post with him.

You never heard him blow his own trumpet but then you never really heard others blow it for him. Why?.......Because with Stan everyone just knew that he was a good man and a great marshal and nothing else needed to be said.

His stories and anecdotes of his time on the bank, from his first days marshalling just after the war, through to attending Stirling Moss's major incident at Goodwood and beyond will always stick in my mind.

I am truly honoured to have known him.

RIP Stan.

Last edited by Norbert; 5 Nov 2015 at 07:55. Reason: Typo
Old 5 Nov 2015, 10:10 (Ref:3588322)   #4
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first time I met Stan was on the bank at Thruxton, when he was 'only' in his seventies. At first glance a quiet, unassuming man, his knowledge and passion for the sport was far more evident than in people half his age.

A sad day for motorsport.

RIP Stan
Old 5 Nov 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3588354)   #5
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stan really was a gentleman of the old school and someone I have had the pleasure of marshalling with and stewarding with. He was always a keen supporter of the marshals club and never hesitated to offer advice and guidance when I asked for it or he felt it constructive.

He will be sorely missed.

On behalf of the BMMC may I express our condolences on the sad loss of Stan to his family, friends and all who have had the pleasure of his company and wisdom.
Old 7 Nov 2015, 00:48 (Ref:3588686)   #6
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sorry to hear that Stan has passed away. I have known and marshalled with Stan since the 1960s and always enjoyed his company. I am pleased to have met Stan a few times in recent years at Thruxton when we reminisced, as you do! RIP Stan.
Old 8 Nov 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3589073)   #7
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stan Hunt

Stan Hunt was a true stalwart of our sport, and around the oldest active marshal, too, which in my time as BMMC Treasurer led to a special extension of our insurance policy to cover several of our "more senior members".

I did a couple of corporate days at Thruxton, when Stan was Chief Marshal. As soon as I was spotted, the message went round that, "George Copeland is in car number so-and-so". Instructors queried why I was getting so many blue flags when there were no other cars around us. I had to explain marshals' humour and point out that it was all light-hearted and well intentioned.

As many have already said, it was a great experience to spend a day on the bank with Stan Hunt, one of life's true gentleman and sadly missed. We send our condolences to wife Brenda and other family and friends.

George Copeland
Vice President BMMC
Old 9 Nov 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3589248)   #8
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Stan. A proper bloke and it was my privilege to have known him.
Old 9 Nov 2015, 16:34 (Ref:3589279)   #9
vector-pat
Rookie

England
Newbury, Berks
Stan Hunt Funeral Details

Stan Hunt's Funeral arrangements if you want to say goodbye are:
11:45 Friday 20th November @ The East Chapel, Southampton Crematorium. SO16 2QB.

There will be a wake at Lexby Hall, Lexby Road, Totton. SO40 9HD

His Wife Brenda has requested no flowers but any donations to Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance or Masonic Grand Charity.
Old 10 Nov 2015, 10:00 (Ref:3589450)   #10
vector-pat
Rookie

England
Newbury, Berks
With regards to Stan Hunts funeral, BARC are proposing to lay on a coach from Thruxton To Southampton Crematorium and back. This will be for the service only and on a first come basis. If you're interested and would like to take up this offer then please contact Mandy Curley mcurley@barc.net or 01264 882202.

You'll need to be at Thruxton by 10.15hrs on Friday 20th November.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 09:57 (Ref:3592627)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like the man, very dignified, especially his letter.
It was good to see so many people there, it's not that often you see a Crematorium packed.
Rest in Peace mate.