Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 13 Mar 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2651250)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which wheel?

Hi guys

I'm in the process of adding rFactor (at last) and RBR to my stable, which also includes the likes of GPL, GTR2, Race 07 et all, so it's about time I got round to getting a wheel

I'm not looking to break the bank here, I just want something decent that works properly and reasonably realistically - definitely not willing to stretch to a G25/27 yet (you guys must be bonkers to pay that much ), probably nothing beyond about £60/70

I've had a look through Amazon - the Thrustmaster Ferrari GT caught my eye as it's pretty cheap but looking back to a similar thread from last year, you guys recommend anything Logitech > anything Thrustmaster, which is fair enough

I've been recommended the Momo and the DFP (of which there are none on Amazon - don't want to go digging too much elsewhere in places like eBay). The DFGT looks good but it's a bit more expensive than the Momo, although I'm thinking of getting a PS3 soon so it could come in handy. List of requests for that would include flappy paddle and a gearstick as well if possible, of which both have both

I've not had a proper PC wheel before so as I said, I'm not looking to go overboard. I don't want to spend too much because I don't know how much I'll actually use it yet

Any recommendations in particular?
Old 13 Mar 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2651351)   #2
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd say for your price range the DFP is really the only choice worth going for......mine was £54 3 years ago so I would guess it's around the same or less these days. Great wheel still working now, although I've moved on to a Fanatec these days my son uses the DFP.

Perry McCarthy
Old 13 Mar 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2651363)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is the DFP seems to have been discontinued, so it's difficult to get. Otherwise it would be ideal because it would be less than the DFGT but pretty much just as good
Old 14 Mar 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2651537)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DFGT is basically the new DFP ..
don't buy the momo .. stretch to the dfgt if you have too

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Mar 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2651567)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've had a DFP for years and i love it. The feedback through the wheel is absolutely excellent, it feels so real. The pedals have no feel though.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2651593)   #6
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The problem is the DFP seems to have been discontinued, so it's difficult to get. Otherwise it would be ideal because it would be less than the DFGT but pretty much just as good
The wheel (but not the pedals) of the DFGT is much better than the DFP.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2652102)   #7
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DFP every time. I did have issues with my pedals (pots kept coming loose from mountings) but the wheel was bullet proof and fantastic value. Personally tho i'd still look at the G25 & save up for a while, its a peach
Old 14 Mar 2010, 23:14 (Ref:2652232)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed, G25 is a proper bit of kit.

Sturdy, well made and very well finished. It has metal all over the place wheich wears well.

And if you use real feel in Rfactor, the feedback is excellent.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 03:22 (Ref:2652344)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rFactor is a serious racing simulator, moreso than (dare I say it) any other on the market today. I've used a Logitech WingmanGP, Logitech Momo before finally getting my hands on a G25 last year, and from even the momo the G25 is in another league. In all honesty it is the best in the business at the moment (well, the G27 is now), something which makes the entire simulation process in rFactor more complete.

Like Hep, said, if you can, save your pennies and buy a G25 or better yet a G27, I'm looking at upgrading to the G27 because you can move the pedals closer to each other- Should make heel and toeing a lot easier then with the G25
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2652538)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I don't want to buy a G25 because I know I won't use it enough to justify splashing out £x00 for it. It would be a waste of money, even if it is very good. Plus I'm a poor, tight student
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2653365)   #11
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steer well clear of Thrustmaster, they are awful wheels with shoddy build quality. Logitech all the way in my opinion.

If you can't stretch to a G25 (which is a shame, it's a fantastic wheel), I'd go with a Driving Force GT, which you can pick up for under £100. The pedals aren't great and the shifters are weird (buttons on the reverse of the wheel as opposed to proper flappy paddles), but the wheel does 900 degrees of rotation and has excellent force feedback.

If that's still too much, go for the Formula Force EX, although from what I can tell it has no flappy paddles OR buttons for sequential shifting, 240 degrees rotation, a weak force feedback and gash pedals. Still, if you're only going to use it occasionally it will probably do the job and can be yours for about £50ish.

Poor student or not, I would go for the G25. It will make you race more than you thought you would...
Old 16 Mar 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2653607)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I don't really want to just dive straight in at that, though. This is my first wheel and I don't drive at the moment so I don't yet know what is good and what isn't anyway - if I had a G25 straight away, I don't think I'd totally appreciate it, because I'd have no knowledge of what a "poor" (or less good) wheel is. I'd be happy with a DFGT for now (and it indeed looks like that's the one I'll be aiming to get) and then maybe in the future upgrading if I know I'll make the most of it, by which time there may be even better wheels out there at a more reasonable price - surely the G27 successor will have come along by then, meaning that would be cheaper to get
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2653825)   #13
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned the G2x, but I cant justify the price tag myself so I have a DFP and recently purchased a DFGT (at half the price of the DFP was.) Both are great but the DFGT seems a little more nicer and smoother, plus works in 900deg mode natively instead of having to manually change it like I do with the DFP and logitech drivers (although I admit I haven't used the DFP with the latest logi driver.) Definately go a newish wheel, better driver support and software support in games.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 23:30 (Ref:2653838)   #14
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh yeah the logitech wheels all work no hassle on PS2 as well. Not sure about PS3 but i'm guessing they are fine on that too.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 03:15 (Ref:2653918)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
oh yeah the logitech wheels all work no hassle on PS2 as well. Not sure about PS3 but i'm guessing they are fine on that too.
I have a Logitech DFP, it works on PC, PS3 & PS2.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2654063)   #16
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't really want to just dive straight in at that, though. This is my first wheel and I don't drive at the moment so I don't yet know what is good and what isn't anyway - if I had a G25 straight away, I don't think I'd totally appreciate it, because I'd have no knowledge of what a "poor" (or less good) wheel is. I'd be happy with a DFGT for now (and it indeed looks like that's the one I'll be aiming to get) and then maybe in the future upgrading if I know I'll make the most of it, by which time there may be even better wheels out there at a more reasonable price - surely the G27 successor will have come along by then, meaning that would be cheaper to get
Quite a sensible way to look at it really. I think that having a G25 has ruined other steering wheels for me!l.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2654242)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
This is what you want!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2654420)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about this? Its a step down from the DFGT, the ''hatchback'' version if you will, got force feedback and everything.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2654851)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
It almost looks too over the top. This looks a bit more realistic...or is it just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
what about this? Its a step down from the DFGT, the ''hatchback'' version if you will, got force feedback and everything.
What about what?
Old 18 Mar 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2654950)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forgot to link...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ga...s/270&cl=gb,en
Old 18 Mar 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2655133)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Well, it doesn't have a gearstick or the 900 degree lock, I can get a DFGT for less than £20 more on Amazon, and most importantly, apparently it's not Windows compatible according to the site (although it does list it in the system requirements...weird)
Old 20 Mar 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2656330)   #22
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
thats where your decision is. personally i'd go with the DFGT over that but build quality will be pretty much the same on both.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2658413)   #23
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
I just picked the cheapest one there

The DFGT certainly does look very nice, its the one thing tempting me to get a PS3... So I could play GPL on my laptop properly too...
Old 26 Mar 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2660493)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
My DFGT has arrived and I've tried it in rFactor. Couple of issues:

- I don't seem to be getting any force feedback - it returns to centre OK but doesn't vibrate at all when I hit kerbs, walls and bumps. I have switched it on in the game settings but still nothing

- Doesn't seem to be recognising the gearstick at all

Have I missed something?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2660495)   #25
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My DFGT has arrived and I've tried it in rFactor. Couple of issues:

- I don't seem to be getting any force feedback - it returns to centre OK but doesn't vibrate at all when I hit kerbs, walls and bumps. I have switched it on in the game settings but still nothing

- Doesn't seem to be recognising the gearstick at all

Have I missed something?
What mod?