Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Jul 2015, 08:07 (Ref:3559665)   #1
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling the Texas GP, tips and advice.

I am thinking of applying to marshal at the Texas GP, if time and money will allow, I've applied for the marshalling abroad letter from the MSA.
Anyone got any contacts, tips, advice, what accommodation did you get, and have you done it, what was your experience like did you enjoy it.
Thanks.
Mick
Old 20 Jul 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3559691)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Done it the last two years.
It's very good but always short of marshals.
They accept volunteers with little and no experience right up until the day before the event!
Support races - one , maybe two!
Hotel is subsidised with transport provided to/from track.
PM for more details if you wish
Old 20 Jul 2015, 10:41 (Ref:3559694)   #3
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
icorper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still on my bucket list, maybe next year
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3559707)   #4
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Fubar Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is interesting as I'm looking at attending this next year.

Are there many marshals from the UK that attend the Texas event?
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:45 (Ref:3559708)   #5
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like all the information is on hand, Apple.

However, I have some questions for you! What led you to select Texas F1? If it's a love of F1 and a desire to marshal in US, have a great time, good choice!

If you just want to marshal in North America, there are unique tracks and series that you should consider. They'll have much more racing over a weekend, have a good level of experienced marshals in each team and you'll see more of the American way of going racing. Indycar, Pirelli World Challenge, Tudor Sports Cars, NASCAR (you can see the Trucks and Busch cars on courses such as CTMP near Toronto, or Mid Ohio. There's iconic tracks all over the country, so you'll have to be picky!

It's normally possible to take in races that are back to back weekends, so you maximise track time
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3559714)   #6
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Looks like all the information is on hand, Apple.

However, I have some questions for you! What led you to select Texas F1? If it's a love of F1 and a desire to marshal in US, have a great time, good choice!

If you just want to marshal in North America, there are unique tracks and series that you should consider. They'll have much more racing over a weekend, have a good level of experienced marshals in each team and you'll see more of the American way of going racing. Indycar, Pirelli World Challenge, Tudor Sports Cars, NASCAR (you can see the Trucks and Busch cars on courses such as CTMP near Toronto, or Mid Ohio. There's iconic tracks all over the country, so you'll have to be picky!

It's normally possible to take in races that are back to back weekends, so you maximise track time
Hello well just that sprang to mind as I could probably get that time off work, I only have a week off left out of this years quota.
I went to Las Vegas NASCAR this year as a specy, I would be more interested in doing a proper race track rather than NASCAR, I may try and sort something for next year, as you say maybe two weekends.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:58 (Ref:3559715)   #7
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
They accept volunteers with little and no experience right up until the day before the event!

Thanks Mark
Old 1 Aug 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3563111)   #8
bmw88rider
Rookie

United States
Austin, Tx
bmw88rider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a good time. I've worked it the last 2 years as COTA is my home track. I live in Austin. If you have any questions just let me know, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Overall, the Texas flagging community is pretty small and we always need more people especially for the big events.

I know it's probably really short notice to get over from Britain but the Lone Star LeMans weekend is a real blast. Over 9 hours of racing on Saturday with WEC and the Tudor series taking the main billing.

Nascar is much harder to work as there are training requirements that are mandatory and it's not run by the same organization as the road racing series but there are a lot of great events like the Tudor series, MotoGP if you like bikes, The Amateur series like SCCA and NASA.
Old 2 Aug 2015, 05:39 (Ref:3563175)   #9
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw88rider View Post
It's a good time. I've worked it the last 2 years as COTA is my home track. I live in Austin. If you have any questions just let me know, I'd be more than happy to answer them. Overall, the Texas flagging community is pretty small and we always need more people especially for the big events.

I know it's probably really short notice to get over from Britain but the Lone Star LeMans weekend is a real blast. Over 9 hours of racing on Saturday with WEC and the Tudor series taking the main billing.

Nascar is much harder to work as there are training requirements that are mandatory and it's not run by the same organization as the road racing series but there are a lot of great events like the Tudor series, MotoGP if you like bikes, The Amateur series like SCCA and NASA.
Thanks for that
Old 11 Aug 2015, 15:07 (Ref:3565340)   #10
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
On the sportscar subforum rumors are flying around CotA is in financial trouble and racing activities might be seized after the 2016 season. I've had no info whatsoever confirming (or denying for that matter) these rumors but the track has generated a few headlines before when it came to 'financial matters'.

So if you have strong interest in marshaling the US GP (or other events at CotA) it might be a good idea not to postpone your plans too long.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3565376)   #11
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Thanks for the heads up, I am going this year.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 19:41 (Ref:3565393)   #12
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
On the sportscar subforum rumors are flying around CotA is in financial trouble and racing activities might be seized after the 2016 season...
wouldn't worry about it too much, there's always NASCAR / ISC to the rescue
Old 15 Aug 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3566124)   #13
bmw88rider
Rookie

United States
Austin, Tx
bmw88rider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't worry about the track getting seized/closed any time soon. There have already been offers to buy it floating out there.

If you are interested, here is the link to apply http://msreg.com/F1USGP15-new
Old 22 Aug 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3567662)   #14
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:

Thanks for the help and info Mark, its all booked up, so I'm going this year.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 19:24 (Ref:3568367)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice one, I'm sure you'll enjoy - even if it's only for the Elton John concert!
They're very short of manpower at the moment so you'll be very welcome.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 20:17 (Ref:3568690)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nice one, I'm sure you'll enjoy - even if it's only for the Elton John concert!
They're very short of manpower at the moment so you'll be very welcome.
Elton John's short of manpower?

*insert your own joke*
Old 26 Aug 2015, 06:22 (Ref:3568823)   #17
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Sorry but I'm not a fan of Elton John
Old 26 Aug 2015, 08:46 (Ref:3568853)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
That could be a problem! She's your post chief!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3575807)   #19
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
From Flag chief Bill Armitage on facebook:

Quote:
am still in need of good, quality flag marshals for the upcoming Formula One United States Grand Prix October 23-25 at COTA. We are getting really close to matching last years numbers but would like to improve upon it. We are working hard to make improvements from last years event. If you can come help us I go to http://msreg.com/F1USGP15-new and apply today. Feel free to share with someone that may be interested.
Apparently the experience requirements are well below what is usual for the BGP.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3575850)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
From Flag chief Bill Armitage on facebook:

Apparently the experience requirements are well below what is usual for the BGP.
Hmm . . . we'll be in the US that weekend . . .

. . . watching NASCAR at Talledega!
Old 21 Sep 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3575871)   #21
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't make this,bu with Bill and Sydney as chiefs, you'll be well looked after and your corner will be fought. Not sure Bill can cook enough burgers for you,, like he did for us at Mid Ohio. And probably no Jambalya that Sydney laid on in New Orleans

Old 22 Sep 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3576202)   #22
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time booked off work - now planning flights!

Other than the MSA marshalling abroad letter, any paperwork required?
Old 22 Sep 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3576204)   #23
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dang! I just used up this year's remaining discretionary days on a 2 day meeting at Rockingham (Northants, not NC). Oh well!
Old 22 Sep 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3576206)   #24
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHodge View Post
Time booked off work - now planning flights!

Other than the MSA marshalling abroad letter, any paperwork required?
Just been in touch with them. They are only looking for Flag marshals. All other "trades" are full!

Sad face!
Old 23 Sep 2015, 06:19 (Ref:3576249)   #25
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Dang! I just used up this year's remaining discretionary days on a 2 day meeting at Rockingham (Northants, not NC). Oh well!

Rockingham or Texas???? hmmm difficult one that