Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Aug 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3758434)   #276
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If they stick to the current ideals then yeah, for sure. But they have run WEC at Sebring before. Ok the race was a mess and had about 9-10 classes, but it does show they can make it work.

They can adjust if they want. It's more a case if they want to adapt to fit an American style circuit, or if it's worth it. WEC really hasn't taken off in America, so should they keep going at it? Or just move elsewhere?
Ah, I was there, if you just ignored the sub-classes it was fine.

That was early WEC and there were not as many entrants as there are now.
The logistics of renting the haulers/garages and pit equipment to all of the teams in the WEC seems extremely daunting if not impossible.

Edit - my opinions aside, I think they give up on the US. It would be better for the European fans anyway, especially if that date went to a "classic" venue.
Old 9 Aug 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3758452)   #277
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
WEC does not need to be in the USA, IMSA has that market covered. The one thing WEC had that IMSA did not was hybrid LMP1's. Well we all know where they are headed in the future, that is no future. So yeah, say good bye to COTA.

Mexico is still a market for them I suppose. Canada maybe so as well since IMSA only goes to CTMP. Not sure if Circuit Gilles Villeneuve could host WEC though.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3762732)   #278
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SUPER GT boss, Masaaki Bandoh, said to Endurance-info in an interview in Suzuka:
"A few years ago, I hypothesized to see a GT500 in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, even within the frame of Garage 56, but that could not be done.
We ask that a GT500 can participate in FIA WEC in Fuji and in return we can help the development of the Asian Le Mans Series.
We did it by bringing the GT300 into a race and my dream is now to be able to see a GT500 in Fuji. I believe that attitudes are beginning to evolve on the part of the ACO".

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/ent...n-du-super-gt/
Old 29 Aug 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3762734)   #279
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe a hybrid GT300 would be deemed more acceptable by the ACO. I think the ACO are a bit scared of a GT500 winning overall. A GT300 would be a hybrid GT car, which would meet the G56 philosophy.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3762883)   #280
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Ah, I was there, if you just ignored the sub-classes it was fine.

That was early WEC and there were not as many entrants as there are now.
The logistics of renting the haulers/garages and pit equipment to all of the teams in the WEC seems extremely daunting if not impossible.

Edit - my opinions aside, I think they give up on the US. It would be better for the European fans anyway, especially if that date went to a "classic" venue.
I believe there were 28 WEC entries at the 2012 12 Hours of Sebring. Aren't they expecting <27 for the rest of this season.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3762884)   #281
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
WEC does not need to be in the USA, IMSA has that market covered. The one thing WEC had that IMSA did not was hybrid LMP1's. Well we all know where they are headed in the future, that is no future. So yeah, say good bye to COTA.

Mexico is still a market for them I suppose. Canada maybe so as well since IMSA only goes to CTMP. Not sure if Circuit Gilles Villeneuve could host WEC though.
Isn't the US the largest market for every manufacturer on the WEC grid apart from maybe Aston Martin?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3762886)   #282
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClarrpz View Post
Barber, Lime Rock, Long Beach, St Pete, Mosport-Too Short
Nola-Too expensive for track
VIR, Road America-Too poor facilities
Watkins, Road Atlanta, Sebring-Already major sportscar races, probably don't want another

So Indy, Montreal, CotA or no NA
I pretty sure that Watkins, Road Atlanta, and Sebring would be fine with a 2nd major sports car race. The one that is not on the list above, that would be a perfect combo weekend with IMSA is Laguna Seca.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3762890)   #283
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I never understood why we hate rain at Silverstone but love it at Spa.
And why people have this idea that it always rains non-stop throughout a WEC weekend at Silverstone.......
Old 30 Aug 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3762895)   #284
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Because Brits tend to complain whatever the weather is. It's either too hot, too cold or too wet
Old 30 Aug 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3762903)   #285
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, we are indeed world class when it comes to complaining, you only have to read Facebook for 2-3 minutes to see just how we stand out in that endeavour!
Old 30 Aug 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3762913)   #286
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The question of the day is - will the WEC be at Silverstone in 2018?

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...e-fia-wec.html
Old 30 Aug 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3762924)   #287
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
ELMS at Brands Hatch then?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3762947)   #288
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By 10 days after the end of Le Mans in 2016, I'd ordered my Silverstone WEC tickets for 2017 and had booked my accommodation...... I'm getting impatient.....
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3762975)   #289
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
ELMS at Brands Hatch then?
Does a standalone ELMS at Silverstone on or around the Easter Weekend still make sense? Is there a logical partner series for it to run with in the UK?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3762979)   #290
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
The question of the day is - will the WEC be at Silverstone in 2018?

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...e-fia-wec.html
I really hope they don't stop bringing WEC/ELMS to the UK.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3762984)   #291
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Does a standalone ELMS at Silverstone on or around the Easter Weekend still make sense? Is there a logical partner series for it to run with in the UK?
Maybe. If the ACO is completely rejigging its schedule, there’s no reason to think that ELMS couldn’t do the same. I would still expect there to be an ELMS round in the UK though it need not be at Silverstone and it need not be in April. Unlike the WEC, ELMS will race on Grade 2 circuits (Portimao is Grade 2), so Brands Hatch, Donington Park, Rockingham, and Snetterton are all (at least in theory) possibilities.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 01:42 (Ref:3763082)   #292
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think that the ACO need to swallow their pride, bite the bullet and run on Grade 2 tracks. Especially if they want a presence in NA. If COTA and Mexico City get scrapped, only other Grade 1 tracks in NA are Indy GP and Montreal.

Besides, with no Audi Sport, Porsche, and likely TMG there beyond 2018 (Audi Sport have been gone nearly a year, Porsche are out at this season's end, and Toyota might do a partial season next year before maybe mothballing their program), the WEC has taken enough of a prestige hit that I don't think that VIPs will care where they race from now on as long as places like LM and Spa are on the schedule.

Of course, if Toyota are gone, where does that leave the WEC in Japan? Toyota own Fuji Speedway, and with no Toyota in the series, do the ACO ditch Japan? Or maybe look at Suzuka?
Old 31 Aug 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3763243)   #293
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Nothing suggests that they will give up grade 1 tracks just because cota is only popular for f1. They'll probably just drop the U.S. round and stick with the others. Bahrain is the other track that was talked about being dropped. I haven't heard anything about Mexico. Latin America is a huge market for every one of the manufacturers entered. Without a race there or COTA, that's leaving a huge void. No talk about Toyota leaving either. They said that endurance racing is a big part of their hybrid appeal and since they own Fuji I expect them to be there racing.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3763246)   #294
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love a race in America, but America hasn't warmed to WEC, so if it's not working then it's not working, and I really think COTA has a huge part to play in that.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3763247)   #295
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Proton is looking to buy 4 (or zero) 2017 Porsches. the holdup seems to be if Porsche can actually supply them.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...-2017-911-rsrs
Old 1 Sep 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3763434)   #296
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Nothing suggests that they will give up grade 1 tracks just because cota is only popular for f1. They'll probably just drop the U.S. round and stick with the others. Bahrain is the other track that was talked about being dropped. I haven't heard anything about Mexico. Latin America is a huge market for every one of the manufacturers entered. Without a race there or COTA, that's leaving a huge void. No talk about Toyota leaving either. They said that endurance racing is a big part of their hybrid appeal and since they own Fuji I expect them to be there racing.
->->->

Quote:
Events at Circuit of The Americas and Mexico City are understood to be among those also in question, with contracts at both circuits expiring this year.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/w...alendar-shift/
Old 1 Sep 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3763464)   #297
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think WEC absolutely CAN work in the US, but the track at Austin won't cut it. The facilities are top-notch, but the track layout, massive paved run-offs, and less-than-stellar setup for viewing outside of the grandstands leaves MUCH to be desired. This is especially true when we have tracks like Watkins Glen, Road America, Road Atlanta, etc. to choose from.

The WEC would NEED to go to one of those other tracks, and NOT demand that the track or its setting be totally butchered (to F1 levels). If they're not willing to do that, well then yeah, they don't really have a place here.

IMSA dropped Austin and added Mid Ohio for 2018, and I'm not sad in the least.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3763473)   #298
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
And I just saw that sc365 article, too! but I've learned to take things like that with a grain of salt from their site. Any site for that matter can be wrong, but lets see.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3763480)   #299
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
And I just saw that sc365 article, too! but I've learned to take things like that with a grain of salt from their site. Any site for that matter can be wrong, but lets see.
Graham Goodwin says much the same thing in the article above:

Quote:
Mexico and Austin are both seen as races that are underperforming for the WEC too. There will be no surprise here if the WEC does not visit the Americas in the next few years, or if there is a ‘middle way’ established involving a World Championship round for GTEs within an established IMSA blue riband event.
Old 1 Sep 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3763483)   #300
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Yeah, I trust DSC a bit more but I think TF110 is right to have a healthy dose of skepticism!

Announcement is about 2-3 hours away isn't it?