Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Jun 2015, 23:37 (Ref:3554165)   #51
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
This hassle is why I limit my gang to 3 cars, so 3 to 5 people in general. Nice and easy, and I don't have to play kindergarten teacher for 30+ people. Not even speaking of organising 30+ tickets, and getting the money for 30+ tickets, which is a small fortune!
Can't conceive trying to organise a big group - I figure if I'd been meant to be a tour guide I'd have done so professionally... and there's a reason I'm not.

I can help out a friend and add someone to my booking without too much bother but much more than that? Sounds like a commitment that stretches the definition of holiday that Le Mans should be.
Old 27 Jun 2015, 00:28 (Ref:3554170)   #52
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Can't conceive trying to organise a big group - I figure if I'd been meant to be a tour guide I'd have done so professionally... and there's a reason I'm not.

I can help out a friend and add someone to my booking without too much bother but much more than that? Sounds like a commitment that stretches the definition of holiday that Le Mans should be.
On the other hand, providing the service for these quite large groups does pay itself back in a very well utillised camp. The others bring a huge van, carrying our big gazebo, generators, satelite TV with flatscreen, party lights, bikes, quad, fridges and so on(we charge every 'camper' €15,- for the luxuries). So yes, it's allways a hassle to organize for everyone to pay their tickets but it surely benefits my stay there hugely.
Old 27 Jun 2015, 00:50 (Ref:3554173)   #53
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
On the other hand, providing the service for these quite large groups does pay itself back in a very well utillised camp. The others bring a huge van, carrying our big gazebo, generators, satelite TV with flatscreen, party lights, bikes, quad, fridges and so on(we charge every 'camper' €15,- for the luxuries). So yes, it's allways a hassle to organize for everyone to pay their tickets but it surely benefits my stay there hugely.
To each their own - which I think we've just neatly illustrated.

For me having a bit of time to organise that's just for "us", plotting how the whole extended weekend hangs together, finding the right places on the way down and back, and critically in between finding somewhere to pitch tent for the race is great. It's one of the few times I don't have to factor in some bullshit corporate dependencies, commercial realities, and opinions of countless stakeholders, so works fow me.

Delighted however that the more altruistic amongst us are fundamentally better about sharing!
Old 28 Jun 2015, 21:14 (Ref:3554586)   #54
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My party ended up being 6 people this year. This was the first time we were more than a single car load, but luckily two were on bikes so they had no trouble keeping in a little convoy with us down to the far end of the circuit in the middle of the night.

Having said that, herding 6 people around rather than 3 or 4 makes quite a difference. It looks like I may have this many again next year, including my mum who will be making her first trip to LM at the age of 72!

The thought of being in any way responsible for 30 people gives me the shivers...
Old 29 Jun 2015, 07:45 (Ref:3554658)   #55
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Organising a larger group is always a problem, but at the same time having a newbie there for the first time is just so much fun, the excitement and surprise they show at just how good le mans is, is always a great feeling for me. But i do find that the larger the group is the more problems you have with getting everyone ready eat/move and you usually end up running late.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3554742)   #56
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure about my plans in 2016. I was the in 2014, this year my trip to Canada clashed with LM. Next year it would be nice to meet other Finns there, and I'm trying to set up a car pool at Finnish-speaking motorsports forum to reduce fuel and toll costs but it seems to be like shouting to an empty stadium. Finns just expect that it's "the other" who pays the ticket, travel expenses and food.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 29 Jun 2015 at 17:20.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 21:38 (Ref:3554791)   #57
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

It helps that my wife owns an ATOL licenced travel business and her manager does most of the work for me. The upside is that the deal is that once I get everyone to camp my time is my own and the rest do all the cooking and cleaning etc. It works for me most of the time, but this year I made the mistake of inviting one of my business customers to join us and it was him that was late so I had no choice but to wait it out. Next year I won't be as silly!
Old 30 Jun 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3555051)   #58
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Sat down with my wife the other night to talk about us returning to Le Mans next year. She's due to finish school and after all her hard work she deserves to pick where she wants to go as a reward for finishing. As much as she loved Le Mans she says that she would rather get pampered on a cruise. I guess that's what we'll likely be doing. My only hope is to maybe get over there for a very short trip this time by myself. Right now I'd say my chances of being there next year are less than 50%.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3555125)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
'Pampered on a cruise....'!!!!!
Old 1 Jul 2015, 09:16 (Ref:3555144)   #60
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
With just a small chance of sinking much saver at le mans
Old 1 Jul 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3555273)   #61
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Two birds one stone;
http://www.gobarging.com/cruises-in-loire
Old 1 Jul 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3555275)   #62
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Even closer...

http://www.canalous-mayenne.com/us/

...although precisely how much pampering is made available might be open to question.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3555289)   #63
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
You guys are awesome. Thanks for looking out for me. I'll throw these suggestions out and hopefully she'll bite.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 07:30 (Ref:3555339)   #64
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Of course it would also be easy to nip back over the channel from Le Mans on the ferry from Caen to Portsmouth and take a proper cruise from Southampton - there are many Cruise lines operating from Southampton - Cunard, P & O, Royal Carribean etc - you even cruise back to New York!
Old 2 Jul 2015, 23:02 (Ref:3555504)   #65
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
You guys are awesome. Thanks for looking out for me. I'll throw these suggestions out and hopefully she'll bite.
Happy to do my bit - suspect at some stage I might ask for some reciprocal pointers about good US races to go to, so there's a bit of enlightened self interest involved here too...

In all seriousness though, it's perfectly possible to find some very nice hotels in striking distance of Le Mans which surprisingly aren't always booked solid around race time and offer the sort of spa / pool / treatment things that do tend to make a Le Mans trip a touch more acceptable to other halves. PM me if you want some pointers.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3556039)   #66
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Happy to do my bit - suspect at some stage I might ask for some reciprocal pointers about good US races to go to, so there's a bit of enlightened self interest involved here too...

In all seriousness though, it's perfectly possible to find some very nice hotels in striking distance of Le Mans which surprisingly aren't always booked solid around race time and offer the sort of spa / pool / treatment things that do tend to make a Le Mans trip a touch more acceptable to other halves. PM me if you want some pointers.
Well I shouldn't give the impression that my wife is one of those women who needs a fancy hotel room, or even a bed. She was there for the race last year ('14), camped from Wednesday until Monday and didn't complain one bit, she actually had a fantastic time. She just can't understand wanting to do that every year (as I would if I had my way). At the same time she would feel left out if I went by myself (as I did this year, not my fault though with the whole school thing). We'll see what happens, I've been planting seeds already...

As for your motives, no worries. I've managed to get to many races here in the states and am more than happy to give advice. I'd be more than happy to help point you in the right direction for booking trips to any race over here, if I don't know where to stay or how to get there or what not to miss I'll know someone else who will know the answers. Without getting into the whole topic of how sad and disillusioned I am with the current state of sports car racing in the US, I can confirm the following:

If you're looking to visit the most beautiful race track in North America (if not the world), want a track where there are numerous excellent vantage points to view from, and have an amazing playground just outside the track, look no further than my absolute favorite track (besides La Sarthe), Laguna Seca.

If you're looking for history, a great break from the dreary English spring weather, an insane party, and an excuse to abuse your liver, Sebring is the circuit for you. Yes, it's flat as a pancake, consequently the views on the track are not that great (they're actually pretty awful), but there is no better paddock in racing, and yes the parties are insane!

Road Atlanta is one of my happy places, one of those places that when I am there, no matter the event I know for certain there is nowhere else I would rather be at that time. It's a shame that Petit Le Mans isn't what it used to be, but I did have an excellent time there in April for The Mitty. Was even able to sit in the Robertson Racing Ford GT during that weekend.

There are others I have been to as well that I can recommend, Mosport has that incredible Canadian hospitality, VIR is the kind of place that you'd want to camp at even if there wasn't a race going on.

So yeah, any of my European tenther friends, please feel free to message me if you ever need advice, help, or want to meet up at a track somewhere on this side of the pond.

And if you really want to go nuts, if you manage to get over for VIR or Road Atlanta you'll be close enough to warrant a sporty car rental and a drive to the border of North Carolina and Tennessee. http://tailofthedragon.com
318 turns in 11 miles???!!! Yes, it's true and it is epic!
Old 28 Aug 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3569452)   #67
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferry tickets now booked as I found I could book with Brittany Ferries for a very good price and be able to sail to and from Portsmouth (very useful when that is where you live :-) ). This means Allon is booked as well. I have even managed to make a few batches of chutney so will have to store some out of the way ready to the pre-race meeting.

Sean
Old 29 Aug 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3569643)   #68
Djcomix
Racer

European Union
Le mans
Djcomix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
be there

as a resident of le Mans i'll be there of course !
Cheers !
Old 4 Sep 2015, 21:36 (Ref:3571445)   #69
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Sat down with my wife the other night to talk about us returning to Le Mans next year. She's due to finish school and after all her hard work she deserves to pick where she wants to go as a reward for finishing. As much as she loved Le Mans she says that she would rather get pampered on a cruise. I guess that's what we'll likely be doing. My only hope is to maybe get over there for a very short trip this time by myself. Right now I'd say my chances of being there next year are less than 50%.

Hello,
If you want, you can go to LM for the race (2-3 days) , and Monday after the finish, go to Marseille (3 hours by train from Paris or 1 hour by plane ) and embark on a cruise ship for a nice cruise on the Méditerranée sea
I live in Le Mans, if you have any questions about your trip, you're welcome
Old 24 Sep 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3576611)   #70
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Deposit paid (slightly tardily due to own rubbishness) for 2016, so all things being equal I think we can mark me down as one of those going next year.

Quite exciting to get the 2016 WEC calendar and start getting things into the diary.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3576763)   #71
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must be going as I have arranged to meet a friend at 10:30 at St Saturnin on the Friday :-)
Old 26 Sep 2015, 09:43 (Ref:3577156)   #72
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if it is the good thread but next year some changes to come about buying food on the circuit. During the World series week end you have to take a special card you have to credit and then you buy the food with it no change needed. They will use this means of payment for the trucks 24 h and it could be definitively adopted.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 10:36 (Ref:3577159)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's ridiculous!!!

Looks likely that my lad Toby will be joining Team DoT next year.......
Old 26 Sep 2015, 13:14 (Ref:3577172)   #74
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=Aysedasi;3577159]That's ridiculous!!!

I agree because they don't give you any ticket. They just announce to you hiw much left on your card..........
Old 26 Sep 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3577182)   #75
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
[QUOTE=batmobile;3577172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That's ridiculous!!!

I agree because they don't give you any ticket. They just announce to you how much left on your card..........
Correction. After some explanations they had some problems with the till receipt printers. They would have to get them for the next time. Other amazing thing. . All the prices are something like 9,59 € but when you want to get your cash back they have no cents coins.............