Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Feb 2016, 06:19 (Ref:3615038)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VOLVO OUT AT END OF 2016 (NOW CONFIRMED)

Volvo Australia has announced that its Polestar range will be immediately dropped.

Volvo will now be exclusively a four cylinder maker, some turboed or supercharged

The Volvo Cars World wide CEO said at Detroit Motor Show they will use high performance developed on electrification, we will use electrification as a booster, we will not start diluting our brand with big engines and extra cylinders, V8's" he said.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/ne...fYrD&ocid=iehp

Thinking back this ties in with press releases in December 2014 by the new Marketing Boss Alain Visser of Volvo Cars Swedish HO, that he wants to take the company out of motorsport.

"Motorsport does not conform with our brand where we stand for smaller engines and safety"

He implied they will honour the current agreement with Garry Rogers Motorsport until the end of 2016.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 07:20 (Ref:3615041)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm... crap
Old 16 Feb 2016, 07:32 (Ref:3615042)   #3
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they don't want to race cars they dont want to race cars, not much anyone can do. #plznocommos4gazza
Old 16 Feb 2016, 07:39 (Ref:3615043)   #4
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Downward spiral detected.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 08:15 (Ref:3615045)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They say no motorsport, yet they're making a comeback to WTCC?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 08:21 (Ref:3615047)   #6
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not surprising, think the statement from 12 months ago was fairly to the point. And Volvo have always had a history of only having short stays witness its Group A and Super Touring efforts.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 08:29 (Ref:3615049)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
They say no motorsport, yet they're making a comeback to WTCC?
I can only assume the WTCC fits with their 4-cylinder model

Quote:
And Volvo have always had a history of only having short stays witness its Group A and Super Touring efforts
Their Group A stay was short, but Volvo's Super Touring program ran in the BTCC for 6 seasons and in Australia for 5 years, so hardly a short stay there.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3615306)   #8
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they have a factory presence in the STCC? Or just private built cars ala Erebus?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3615317)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing that is interesting here is that Volvo Cars recently purchased the Polestar operation, or at least the road car development arm of that group.

The racing arm is known as Cyan.. and it is this brand that appears on the GRM Volvos (and their pilots) this year... the racing arm is still owned by the people who formerly owned Polestar.

Unless we have missed something, Volvo AU is apparently contracted to Cyan (nee Polestar) for the supply of engines to GRM.

There is no reason for this not to continue into the future, funded locally by the importer where there is ongoing commercial benefit to do so.

Besides which, if the V8 isn't something Volvo wants to demonstrate, they do have access to turbo engines that may be adaptable for Gen2.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Feb 2016, 00:13 (Ref:3615319)   #10
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Their Group A stay was short
I have recollection that there was turmoil worldwide for their motorsports division (could have been cheating in the ETCC?), not just locally (Shepherd vs Francevic).
Old 17 Feb 2016, 00:55 (Ref:3615328)   #11
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
read: we want the I4 Turbo Supercar ASAP
Old 17 Feb 2016, 02:30 (Ref:3615337)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
I have recollection that there was turmoil worldwide for their motorsports division (could have been cheating in the ETCC?), not just locally (Shepherd vs Francevic).
Homologation issues.

Built 500 homologation cars, then took off all the homologation parts and sold them as normal 240 coupes.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 03:02 (Ref:3615340)   #13
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The thing that is interesting here is that Volvo Cars recently purchased the Polestar operation, or at least the road car development arm of that group.

The racing arm is known as Cyan.. and it is this brand that appears on the GRM Volvos (and their pilots) this year... the racing arm is still owned by the people who formerly owned Polestar.

Unless we have missed something, Volvo AU is apparently contracted to Cyan (nee Polestar) for the supply of engines to GRM.

There is no reason for this not to continue into the future, funded locally by the importer where there is ongoing commercial benefit to do so.

Besides which, if the V8 isn't something Volvo wants to demonstrate, they do have access to turbo engines that may be adaptable for Gen2.
Is VCAu's enthusiasm for the program enough for the mother ship to ultimately allow it to continue?

While they (GRM, Cyan, VCAu) may be able to join all of the other dots, Sweden will have the final say over it.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 04:09 (Ref:3615345)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The boys in polestar blue have been active inside their dealer network of late.
A longstanding Sydney dealer closed their franchise before Christmas, while another was allegedly reviewed for performance and seems set to change hands shortly.

Whilst in Melbourne more than one dealer has been rebranded too...

Not much use spending money on promotions on the product if the distribution network is not able to deliver on the promise...

Maybe
Old 17 Feb 2016, 04:19 (Ref:3615347)   #15
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is VCAu's enthusiasm for the program enough for the mother ship to ultimately allow it to continue?

While they (GRM, Cyan, VCAu) may be able to join all of the other dots, Sweden will have the final say over it.
Agree completely. GTRMagic's comments in post #9 are seemingly irrelevant.

If Swedish HO says no motorsport, then to me that's it.

Also as Gen 2 looks like being postponed to at least 2018 (if ever) what would Volvo do in 2017?
They can't race a turbo in 2017 the way it looks at the moment
Old 17 Feb 2016, 04:28 (Ref:3615349)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Agree completely. GTRMagic's comments in post #9 are seemingly irrelevant.

Also as Gen 2 looks like being postponed to at least 2018 (if ever) what would Volvo do in 2017?
They can't race a turbo in 2017 the way it looks at the moment
Is there any quotes from a Volvoite locally to confirm what is going on?
Or from GRM?

Or are these kinds of things irrelevant too?

Old 17 Feb 2016, 05:33 (Ref:3615360)   #17
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Is there any quotes from a Volvoite locally to confirm what is going on?
Or from GRM?

Or are these kinds of things irrelevant too?

The first thing GRM will put out officially is when they have their deal to go back to Holden in place.Volvo Australia would not want to undermine their 2016 spend by announcing anything until they actually have to.
The 2017 grid will be 20+ Commodores and a few Ford products that are no longer on the market in 2017.
Man the life boats!
Old 17 Feb 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3615380)   #18
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Did they have a factory presence in the STCC? Or just private built cars ala Erebus?
Was always a Volvo Australia backed effort with the cars prepared by George Shepherd. Ex TWR BTCC cars were sourced, Tony Scott raced a 850 wagon in 95, Brock an 850 sedan in 96, and Jim Richards an 850 in 97 and S40 in 98 and 99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
Recall that it was a global withdrawal as a result of FISA changing the turbo equaliation formula which would have increased its weight.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 08:12 (Ref:3615383)   #19
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this and Nissan's Indecisiveness the real reason behind Gen 2 being delayed?
Old 17 Feb 2016, 08:46 (Ref:3615391)   #20
scuderus
Racer

scuderus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
If GRM own the Cars and Cyan does engine prep than I see no reason why they couldnt continue with the Volvo's, Its a competitive package.
There not going to get any support from Holden if they go that way either.

Last edited by scuderus; 17 Feb 2016 at 08:52.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3615402)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

What we don't know are a couple of key things here;

1) How much control does Sweden have over VCAu's marketing budget?

and 2) Who has the permission to sign off on the IP to race the bodyshape in V8SC? Won't be GRM or Cyan, that's for sure.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3615406)   #22
scuderus
Racer

scuderus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do they really need permission from Volvo?
Did Erebus have "official" permission from Mercedes?

I would imagine it would be cheaper for GRM to continue on with the Volvo than to switch makes, unless of course that new make comes with some healthy manufactures support.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3615407)   #23
Stram_man
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Stram_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Volvo Australia marketing manager was saying quite recently that every time the Volvo did well in a V8SC race the internet inquiries on the Volvo website increased significantly. There is no doubt the last few years in V8SC has done the brand well.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 10:33 (Ref:3615411)   #24
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
What we don't know are a couple of key things here;

1) How much control does Sweden have over VCAu's marketing budget?

and 2) Who has the permission to sign off on the IP to race the bodyshape in V8SC? Won't be GRM or Cyan, that's for sure.
Even though it has been raised before I have never seen it adequately explained.

Why does it require permission from Volvo to use their body shape. Is this a V8 Supercar requirement?

There are a lot of sports sedans and speedway cars running around and not for one moment did the builders of those cars ask Munich, Tokyo, Ingolstadt, Detroit for permission.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 11:05 (Ref:3615419)   #25
Umai Naa
Veteran

Erebus required permission from MBAu, just like the other manufacturers, as per V8SC rules.

I'm not certain why this is the case, but I suspect that it is simply not much more than good business ethics.