Hamilton 0 0%
Other 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Sep 2010, 07:04 (Ref:2765266)   #26
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I voted Alonso on the basis of his qualy lap and overall flawless mistake free performance.

I dont understand the Webber votes. He was the luckiest man on track and showed little of his abilities this weekend.

Klien and Kubica get a huge pat on the back for their performances.

Five Knuckle shuffle award to be shared between Hamilton and the McLaren pit wall.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2765304)   #27
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Alonso, and I am not a fan.

Kubica was good too.

Hamilton was unlucky I think to be ahead, and still end up the broken car - normally its the other way round. Racing incident though.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:39 (Ref:2765307)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Kubica gets the vote but honourable mentions for Alonso, Klien, Barrichello and Glock.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2765423)   #29
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kubica for all the reasons already posted
Old 27 Sep 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2765496)   #30
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Jarno for thinking "Bugger this-a I'll put-a my own fire out!"
Jarno????
Old 27 Sep 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2765500)   #31
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
That suggests the frankly outrageous scenario that Jarno Trulli had managed to go almost 60 laps without a hydraulic failure.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 Sep 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2765503)   #32
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
Other drivers that talked about the importance of getting a good finish, did not follow through on it.
If your refering to Hamilton, and i think you may , he was a triffle unfortunate you'd have to agree. Its not like he did a Kobayashi and threw it down the road. He was halfway through a brilliant move on the championship leader who decided he wasn't having any of Hamilton round the outside, and consiquently our breaked himself and hit him.

He would have follwed through had Webber not followed through

As much as it pains me, you cant take it away from Alonso can you. Under pressure all night from a superior car and showed his experiance and championship quality. Kubica was great at the end but it was to be expected, given his quality and his new rubber. Not taking anything away from him but it wasn't very difficult for him.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2765504)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
Jarno????
Was it not Heikki 'I Split Virgins' Kovalainen?

Jarno IIRC was out of the race fairly early.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2765506)   #34
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Yeah it was, thats why ive added 3-4 suprised question marks next to the name Jarno
Old 27 Sep 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2765511)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Was it not Heikki 'I Split Virgins' Kovalainen?
That's great !
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2765556)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I voted for Webber, mostly because he managed to convert what seemed to be a strange strategy call by RBR into a decent result. It wasn't quite as good as Hungary, but in that bracket.

Secondly I'm bored out of my mind by the way a fair number of people on here seem determined to build what was a racing incident pure and simple between two hard chargers into something much bigger.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2765564)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Kubica. Just looked really fast and commited in a car that's still off the pace.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2765600)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Webber obviously. Lets face it he destroyed his team mate today.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2765656)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso for winning with what was supposed to be a slower car and erasing one of the bigger ghost in his career. his restarts were perfect, his management of his tires at the end would have been great to watch (but im happy the race director focused instead on Kubica), and how that Ferrari engine didn't blow up will forever be a mystery to me.

for better or worse he has forever placed his stamp on this track.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2765667)   #40
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I don't like saying it Alonso gave the performance of of a 2 times world champion. From his start right through to the flag he didn't make a single driving error even with Vettel pushing so hard.

Kubica showed that he is the driver to watch for the future and in my opinion if he goes to one of the top 3 teams he'll be on the podium more often than not.

Worst drive of the day goes to Mr Schumacher, he really needs to get more from the car and his team mate is proving it is possible.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2765678)   #41
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not the result I wanted but alonso showed just how good he is
Old 27 Sep 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2765680)   #42
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
If your refering to Hamilton, and i think you may , he was a triffle unfortunate you'd have to agree. Its not like he did a Kobayashi and threw it down the road. He was halfway through a brilliant move on the championship leader who decided he wasn't having any of Hamilton round the outside, and consiquently our breaked himself and hit him.

He would have follwed through had Webber not followed through

As much as it pains me, you cant take it away from Alonso can you. Under pressure all night from a superior car and showed his experiance and championship quality. Kubica was great at the end but it was to be expected, given his quality and his new rubber. Not taking anything away from him but it wasn't very difficult for him.
Hamilton made it clear he couldn't afford another DNF and had to finish the remaining races. But when on the track he decided that this strategy was not for him, and risked another DNF because he wanted 3rd instead of fourth. He thought that fourth was worth nothing which is why he threw it away so cheaply, in order to get third. And even when he made the move, Webber was the cautious one, not him, yet it was Hamilton behind in the championship.

Hamilton could have driven home for fourth, and gone on to win the championship.

Or

He could challenge for third at the risk of losing the entire 2010 championship.

He chose the latter.

We have all watched champion drivers recognize when to pull their head in, and take what they've got. Fight the battles you can win.

And it is the third race in a row he has made such a choice, wrongly.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 21:55 (Ref:2765785)   #43
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kubica. Kudos to Alonso, Massa and Vettel, but Robert drove the wheels off that car.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2765933)   #44
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
Hamilton made it clear he couldn't afford another DNF and had to finish the remaining races. But when on the track he decided that this strategy was not for him, and risked another DNF because he wanted 3rd instead of fourth. He thought that fourth was worth nothing which is why he threw it away so cheaply, in order to get third. And even when he made the move, Webber was the cautious one, not him, yet it was Hamilton behind in the championship.

Hamilton could have driven home for fourth, and gone on to win the championship.

Or

He could challenge for third at the risk of losing the entire 2010 championship.

He chose the latter.

We have all watched champion drivers recognize when to pull their head in, and take what they've got. Fight the battles you can win.

And it is the third race in a row he has made such a choice, wrongly.
Odd you put it that way round. According to your theory, Webber should have been the one who pulled his head in as he was clearly behind coming in to the corner. Backing off would have been the sensible thing to do for him, because *usually* his would have been the car to take the damage in that situation. He didn't back off (I would have), and I think he was lucky and Hamilton wasn't.

Hamilton obviously thought he had won that battle and wasn't expecitng Webbers car to be there (for the reason I outlined above).

Webber I don't think had any option though - he cannot afford to let LH get ahead in points, and this is probably his only chance of winning a WDC. Hamilton on the other hand will have many more chances.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2765943)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Secondly I'm bored out of my mind by the way a fair number of people on here seem determined to build what was a racing incident pure and simple between two hard chargers into something much bigger.
Agree, totally.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2765945)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

Webber I don't think had any option though - he cannot afford to let LH get ahead in points, and this is probably his only chance of winning a WDC. Hamilton on the other hand will have many more chances.
I don't know about that. What about next year?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2767214)   #47
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my vote went to Mr True-grit-never-give-up Mark Webber
Old 3 Oct 2010, 05:36 (Ref:2768534)   #48
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Odd you put it that way round. According to your theory, Webber should have been the one who pulled his head in as he was clearly behind coming in to the corner. Backing off would have been the sensible thing to do for him, because *usually* his would have been the car to take the damage in that situation. He didn't back off (I would have), and I think he was lucky and Hamilton wasn't.

Hamilton obviously thought he had won that battle and wasn't expecitng Webbers car to be there (for the reason I outlined above).

I agree with all of your points here.

Webber was very lucky to get away with no damage, and his championship challenge would have been safer if he pulled out of defending against Hamilton.

But I guess since he was a few points in front in the WDC, he felt a bit more comfortable sticking his nose in the corner.