Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:40 (Ref:348405)   #1
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Threat to "Le Mans Classic"

Ouest France reports today that the “Le Mans Classic” event in September is still in doubt as the businesses that occupy space on the Mulsanne straight (known in French as “la ligne droite des Hunaudières”) are still objecting to the road being closed.

The paper reports that the businesses who act through a society called the “SAVH” are saying “its OK for the 24 hours proper, but not for the Classic event”. As a result Michel Cosson, president of the ACO has threatened to cancel the event.

The paper quotes Frédéric Courtin, president of the SAVH:

I am disappointed, as I think that the ACO has chosen the most extreme solution. But to close the road is a dramatic step for us. It’s the period when schools and businesses are getting back from the summer holidays and the week following the “Four days of Le Mans” when a lot of contracts are confirmed.

The local government (La prefecture) say “We have absolutely no knowledge about the cancellation of the ‘Le Mans Classic’ event.

The following article in the paper is about how the cancellation would hit the hoteliers hard!

Reading between the lines it sounds as though the ACO are putting pressure on the SAVH to agree financial terms. It’s getting a bit close so a bit of drama and brinkmanship are being used.

But I daresay that this row puts the pressure back on for a dedicated road for the race!

FG
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:12 (Ref:348427)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely the businesses on the Mulsanne will only be denied access on the Saturday and Sunday, and they'd be shut on the Sunday anyway. It's obviously a ploy by the SAVH to get a few extras Euros from the ACO for the inconvenience.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:35 (Ref:348745)   #3
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm quite sure you are right, Guy.
The local hoteliers and restauateurs are threatening to sue the SAVH who are quite clearly hanging out for an extra buck. This is already being pointed out by the owner of the Hotel Arbor on the Mulsanne - he is not included in the SAVH and claims he'll lose £8,000 in bookings if the Classic is cancelled. All the stuff about schools going back (that's the first week of September!) and new contracts being signed is a load of b@ll@cks? ACO say they'll issue a statement shortly.
I'll be amazed if the thing's cancelled, but there's no way it could be held on the Bugatti.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:06 (Ref:348796)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the info Francis - obviously muscles are being flexed here. We'll need to watch this space. The more the local businesses moan, the more likely we'll end up with a new Mulsanne "straight", I guess.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 01:18 (Ref:349138)   #5
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Ayesi there are only 21 members of SAVH; are they really going to get a new straight built?
Old 3 Aug 2002, 08:33 (Ref:349204)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kpy
Ayesi there are only 21 members of SAVH; are they really going to get a new straight built?
I'd like to think not, Kpy, but they were obviously looking at it very seriously back in the mid-70's and while they're in the mood for change (after the Esses this year), they might just get on and do it on a "sod you" basis. I really don't know - the ACO are very much a law unto themselves, something which I have always supported them for, particularly in their contretemps with the FISA in the 80's/90's, but about this - who can tell.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 10:07 (Ref:349235)   #7
Kpy
Veteran

I wouldn't worry Aysei. there's a bit more than "sod you" involved in building a new straight to replace the one we call Mulsanne. ACO don't own the land and couldn't afford the engineering. Any such project would have to be forced on them and paid for by someone with the available cash i.e. the state. No chance of the ACO doing it on a whim. And the state won't be digging deep into its pockets for the convenience of 21 businesses which have to close once or even twice a year.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:40 (Ref:349340)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well if you put it that way.......

Is all of that land privately owned? I'd assumed that the ACO owned most of it already?
Old 3 Aug 2002, 15:50 (Ref:349390)   #9
FG1
Veteran

Today’s Ouest France (Saturday 3rd August) has two pieces of interest to me. The first on page 10, is a picture of my bald pate; you can see more of the old bat.

The second is “A reader writes” comment on the potential cancellation of the Le Mans Classic. According to my best French translation (apologies to all who could do better) it starts

It would be futile to say how scandalized I am by the attitude of those businessmen who risk damaging an event eagerly awaited by every country for many years. What shame would fall on Le Mans were the event to be cancelled.

The writer goes on to say that the majority of facilities inside the circuit are to do with the leisure industry, but those on the straight are factories which shouldn’t have been put there in the first place and pose a greater and greater threat to the 24 hour race itself.

The final paragraph reads:

If the event were to be cancelled it would have catastrophic consequences for the local economy, for my part I would have no doubt were the blame lay and I would never again set foot in any of the businesses on the straight. And I believe that I would not be the only one.

I hope that I’ve got most of that right, some of the French is a bit complex for my ever diminishing brain.

I still think that this matter is mostly smoke, mirrors and brinkmanship, but obviously some are getting pretty worked up about it.

FG
Old 7 Aug 2002, 18:06 (Ref:352437)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Don't be modest, FG, you're french is perfect !

Any other news, while you're still around ? I didn't read the papers those last days...
Old 8 Aug 2002, 09:16 (Ref:352875)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Having just semi-committed myself (again) to being there in September, I think we should keep an eye on this. As Fab is not a newspaper buff ( ), perhaps we could nominate FG to keep us up to date with the news on this - if he doesn't mind?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:46 (Ref:353385)   #12
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
perhaps we could nominate FG to keep us up to date with the news on this - if he doesn't mind?
I'll do my best, but I'm not in France all the time. When I'm here I'll check the papers whenever I can. Nothing to report for a few days now.

FG
Old 9 Aug 2002, 08:54 (Ref:353663)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK. I'll officially throw my weight around and designate you and Fab as our newspapers buffs! (Even though the expression is not too familiar to my friend from Nantes!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 09:38 (Ref:353702)   #14
Kpy
Veteran

Anyone wants to follow daily Le Mans news in France Ouest will find it here:
http://www.lemans.maville.com/

Latest news - today's is that ACO say they will cancel the event unless agreement is reached today, and they don't want to discuss it further. The SAVH claim they are not being offered enough money. ACO have offered 100,000 euros, shade over £60,000.

Same issue reports the birth of the "24 heures du Mans" circuit supporters society, prominent founder members Henri Pescarolo and Yves Courage. Primary aim is to defend and preserve the current circuit - BRAVO !!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:07 (Ref:353742)   #15
FG1
Veteran

Ouest France today reports that the ACO will cancel the Le Mans Classic if they do not receive as response from the SAVH today.

The paper reports Fabrice Bourrigault, the communications officer for the ACO as saying:

We have made a firm proposition for a convention (to manage the closure of the road) to the enterprises. We have the impression that no discussion is possible (with them). The more that time passes the more we risk losing an enormous amount of money. If we don’t get a response today we will be obliged to cancel the event.

The president of the association of the enterprises is quoted as saying:

The methods of the convention have not been discussed. It’s a real dictat. We have made alternative proposals. We have heard nothing.

The paper reports that the ACO’s offer of some 100,000s of Euros has not been judged acceptable.

The article closes with a paragraph saying:

The prefecture (local authority) responsible for closing the road has not yet given its response. Today (9th August) will bring news, good or bad.

FG
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:17 (Ref:353750)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fingers crossed...
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:45 (Ref:353779)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

In the same paper, and to complete FG and Kpy reports, the circuit supporter association had its first meeting yesterday on the Hunaudières straight (sorry lads !), and propose to built some small bridges to go to the firms when the Hunaudières are closed...

If the race is canceled, the association will organise a demonstration...

New news tomorrow ! As Adam says, fingers are crossed !
Old 9 Aug 2002, 12:34 (Ref:353896)   #18
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick thought on the bridges over the straight, it would make a fantastic viewing point! I expect it would be clad (and sponsored)to stop viewing etc. maybe a warning sign on them in case any mercs revisit would be handy as well.

Last edited by Nordic; 9 Aug 2002 at 12:34.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 14:26 (Ref:354036)   #19
Kpy
Veteran

Thanks Fabrice
Yes the new association seems to have the right idea. Marc Laffeas said:

« Ne pourrait-on pas imaginer de réaliser des modifications permettant d'organiser des courses sans léser les entrepreneurs ? Par exemple, de réaliser un petit pont ou des voies d'accès au-dessus du circuit ! »

So they think it might be possible to hold races without disturbing the businesses by building a little bridge or access roads over the circuit. They don't say who should pay for it, but if the ACO put up it might eventually pay for itself by obviating the annual payments the ACO makes to the businesses on les Hunaudieres. Great spectating spot yes, but would no doubt be cordoned off by the gendamerie!

I think an ageement will be reached and we're just seeing some gallic posturing before an agreement . 60k sounds a lot, but it works out at less than 3k per business. Depends on whether a business will really lose money or not.

With only six weeks to go it's certainly fingers crossed.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 16:52 (Ref:354131)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
How do I join the circuit supporters society? I am sure we could muster some numbers to add weight to this.

Also why do we have to move the straight to accomodate a few businesses. Why cant they build a small access road to provide access to the businesses for the two or three people who might want it. This seems crazy to be it is like buying a house next to the M25 and then complaining about the noise. Surely the race was there first!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 18:09 (Ref:354181)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mightn't it be better, if vehicle access is required, to build tunnels rather than bridges? Then the catastrophic consequences of flying racecars would remain the same, rather than becoming a whole new beast.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Aug 2002, 18:32 (Ref:354197)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Some detective work please as to the contact for the supporters association. We all have a duty to join!!!

Old 9 Aug 2002, 21:26 (Ref:354312)   #23
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tunnels would definetly cheaper than building a new straight, and while their at it how about some decent viewing areas?
Old 10 Aug 2002, 06:21 (Ref:354445)   #24
FG1
Veteran

Ouest France today reports that the event had got the green light from the Prefecture (local authority).

But I doubt that this is the end of the story as Frédéric Courtin, president of the SAVH is quoted as being very disappointed.

I'll post again if (when I have got my head around the French) he has said anything of particular note.

The story is at the following URL.

http://www.lemans.maville.com/actu/D...16734&idCLA=24

FG
Old 10 Aug 2002, 08:21 (Ref:354468)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Nothing to add, Francis is always faster than me !

For the supporter association, I have the feeling that they are looking for local people economicaly counting... fans, as we all are, are represented by ACO (with 500 000 members...).

Reading the paper this morning, I feel that shop owners are depressed, and in the logic of leaving the place instead of fighting...

ACO is definitely stronger, with the support of local administration ("la Préfecture")and elected representants (the town of Le Mans, the "Département" of a Sarthe, the "Région" of Pays de la Loire), and strong support of hôtels owners and people living of tourism...

I'm optimistic for,the following events !