Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2761992)   #1
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
The Future of F1 perhaps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11354875

I like it!!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2762003)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its probably the only kind of racing that will be allowed at Castle Combe and probably Oulton Park soon.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2762004)   #3
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good idea in theory, needs some work though (25 mins before a charge, would make intresting pit stops ) I think I could get used to it but I would certainly miss the roar of a engine.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2762008)   #4
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I do see it as the saviour of some of the tracks badly affected by nimby's. And of course, it should be a good technology driver if taken up by the top racing series. Should also be cheaper once storage is sorted out - electric motors are more robust, so no £20k engine rebuilds every five minutes. And with so few moving parts, much less to go wrong.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2762011)   #5
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
I understand what your saying regarding the cost-cutting but surely petrolheads like me will miss the roars of the engines too much?
Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2762021)   #6
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's funny, I read the thread title and was hoping it was about Gutierrez.

Electric race cars still need a better battery or more development of supercapacitor technology, but the day is coming.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2762022)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaTheGreat View Post
I understand what your saying regarding the cost-cutting but surely petrolheads like me will miss the roars of the engines too much?
These car will be faster accelerating, with a high top speed, perhaps faster round corners if they can keep the battery weight down. Just quieter. But I do see what you are getting at - you do need noise, and perhaps smell as well!

In the end it will come down to the noise nimby's stopping anything over 95db(ish) anyway. Sad but true. Even the 2CV races at Snet have complaints.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2762037)   #8
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
2cv races have complaints! Mind i do understand where they are coming from, they do sound like a lawnmower only alot slower lol
Old 20 Sep 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2762044)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Foxy.

The car/bike is fine too, I guess.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2762122)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I don't need the small. But you can put some speakers on the cars to keep the roar.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2762146)   #11
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of the noise is from the tyres.. so until we have hovercars..
Old 21 Sep 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2762299)   #12
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No noise, no soul.

A handful of diesels or electrics at Le Mans is ok because they are balanced out by all the Corvettes, Ferraris and Porsches etc.

But a whole field of electric cars? Thats not going to appeal to people.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 21 Sep 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2762341)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It'd just seem like the fans were going absolutely crazy at somewhere like Monza, wouldn't it?

Selby
Old 21 Sep 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2762344)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I don't need the small. But you can put some speakers on the cars to keep the roar.
The only thing worse than no engine noise would be artificial engine noise.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2762347)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
The only thing worse than no engine noise would be artificial engine noise.
What about dubbed on engine noise, like in the movies?

There are many things that race that don't make a noise, why should F1 be any different? *waits for inevitable tide of opposing views*

Imagine wind tunnels being turned into wind farms so that the cars are charged up only by the effects of mother nature. I feel a tree hug coming on!
Old 21 Sep 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2762430)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Adverts promoting racing products or other motorsport related showreels still use Ferrari F1 V12 sounds from 15 years ago...
Old 22 Sep 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2762820)   #17
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK we go electric to satisfy the NIMBYs, however I propose that all the teams insist on charging their cars with power from 250ft wind turbines to be installed around the perimeter of the circuit. If you want green we can do green.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2762869)   #18
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Screw it lets just install sails on all the cars. Now that'd take some skill (not to say any form of motorsport already doesnt).
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2763407)   #19
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Screw it lets just install sails on all the cars. Now that'd take some skill (not to say any form of motorsport already doesnt).
Already have sand yachts. And very fast they are too.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2763449)   #20
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But this will be sail powered F1 Grands Prix.

:/
Old 23 Sep 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2763453)   #21
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
But this will be sail powered F1 Grands Prix.

:/
Isn't there already F1 Yacht racing? I know there is F1 Powerboats.

edit: and for the record they are VERY loud
Old 23 Sep 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2763583)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just thinking of an alternative soultion, hydrogen fueled F1?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2763595)   #23
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It probably wouldn't make a huge difference to the TV audience, but it would kill the atmosphere of attending an F1 race in person. F1 should only go this route if they want Turkey and China attendance all year round.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2763780)   #24
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I could go for dubbed on engine sounds if they were from that Aston Martin (car 12) that ran in the International GT races at Brands last weekend - fabulous, even if it physically hurt at trackside.

From a driver's point of view our engine noise is pretty suppressed by the helmet - engine noise barely registers until I hear it bouncing off the limiter ;-)
Old 24 Sep 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2763951)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't think Formula 1 will soon go full electronic. However, things would become very interesting if the rules would dictate that the propulsion should be accomplished exclusively by (a) electronic motor(s). Teams could still use a internal combustion engine, but only as a generator.