Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Sep 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2763559)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Bernie still wants medals

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86878

It's a terrible scoring system for a 20-race season. It would be easier to give winners 30 points and leave the rest of the scale intact.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2763579)   #2
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He just wouldn't let it lie.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2763582)   #3
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport article
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone plans to make a fresh push to introduce his gold medal system into the sport, after suggesting that the new system introduced this year has not improved matters.
On the contrary, in my opinion and the opinion of the people I have talked to, they like the new points system. Why try and "fix" what isn't broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Ecclestone
"If you look at the points system, it has made absolutely no difference. If we had the old system it would be exactly the same position as now. Which is strange. Maybe they will wake up and think about my gold medal system now. Because Mark would have four gold medals now and two other guys with three, so the championship could go all the way to the wire."
Once again, on the contrary Mr Ecclestone. The driver points scenario is more tighter than ever, with more drivers in contention for the #1 plate. If the FIA and FOTA introduce the medal system, it will mean that less drivers would be in a position to make a championship fight compared to the current points scheme and will do more harm to the sport than good.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2763584)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I would like the medals system but I don't think it would be healthy for the sport in terms of viewing figures.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2763592)   #5
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Bernie wants a medal, give it to him. And leave the points system alone.
JMO,
keke
Old 23 Sep 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2763599)   #6
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
If Bernie wants a medal, give it to him. And leave the points system alone.
JMO,
keke
Agreed. Give Bernie a medal, but leave the current points system well alone. We have the closest F1 season this year since 1986! With five drivers still in the hunt for the title.

Just give Tilke a medal as well for rubbish track design as well!!
Old 23 Sep 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2763600)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasn't he noticed that the guy with most wins is currently leading the championship, followed by the two who have won the next most?

It was a stupid idea when it was worryingly close to being implemented, and it's a stupid idea now. F1 isn't and never should be only about how many times you win over a season.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2763603)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if i understand it correctly, Bernie just wants the driver who has the most wins to win the championship.

someone is going to say consistency is what matters and that this year is close. the counter argument is it should be the most consistent 'race winner' and the championship would be still be close regardless of whether they were using points or medals.

its really just a matter of preference, but i for one would welcome an all or nothing approach. teams are constantly hedging their bets trying to bring home the maximum available points (exciting!). thats great and a valid approach given the current system. but change the system and they will start fighting tooth and nail for outright wins. it up to you to decide whats more exciting...wins or point totals.

oh and if you want to get rid of team orders...this is not a bad way to start.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2763625)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Joe Saward reckons it might have something to do with the Olympics: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...olympic-games/
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2763626)   #10
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Joe is as daft as Bernie...
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2763629)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It has some merit as described by chillibowl.

Still, lets just argue black and white.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2763632)   #12
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
change the system and they will start fighting tooth and nail for outright wins
And you don't think the drivers do that at the moment?

I think you under estimate the prime motivator of F1 drivers.....
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2763651)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
And you don't think the drivers do that at the moment?

I think you under estimate the prime motivator of F1 drivers.....
i think they want to. its the cool thing to say, but when it comes down to it, the smart/experienced drivers race however is necessary in order to accumulate the most points and win the championship under the system as it is.

Alonso has two titles doing just that where as Hamilton barley got one by laying it on the line in the pursuit of the top step. that approach is considered immature because he doesn't focus on accumulating points. its ironic but points makes us appreciate 'guts' (for lack of a better term) a lot less then we should.

so i think if everyone is so into winning lets make it about winning. really though increasing the points gap between first and second is an attempt to place an emphasis on wins so we are not too far away from medals as it is right now.

in fairness though, if there is an argument against medals that would change my mind it is that at some point some person might say it is unfair as long as everyone is in different cars so the logical thing to do is put everyone in the same cars. as i am against spec racing in F1 i would be wary of that possibility, but on the merits of the idea alone, i kind of like the all or nothing approach.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2763708)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Jenson doesn't think much of the idea.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2763722)   #15
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, for your Alonso evidence, he would still have won both titles as he had the same number of wins, but at least two more 2nd positions than his nearest rival.

Why should inconsistency and lack of ability win you a title? The best drivers perform all the time, not just when they fancy it.

I must agree though, I like seeing drivers crashing left, right and centre, and still winning the title. The F evidently stands for Touring Cars.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2763731)   #16
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you drop it to medals and only wins count, then if someone is in the fight for the championship and has a mare of a start - they are not going to fight for them few points for 10th or above. They will park it and save their engine/gearbox for the next race.

Terrible idea.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2763741)   #17
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My short answer to this idea would be "no.". My long answer would be "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old 23 Sep 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2763755)   #18
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter if we use the points system or a medal system, one fact stays the same: its impossible to overtake in F1
Old 24 Sep 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2764062)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, but if drivers like Vettel are more desperate to win we will see more spectacular crashes.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 25 Sep 2010, 05:05 (Ref:2764265)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Joe Saward reckons it might have something to do with the Olympics: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...olympic-games/
F1 will never be an Olympic discipline. Ideas involved sports with engines were long discarded by the COI, mostly when they prefer sports where the power comes from the athlete self.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2764297)   #21
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
F1 will never be an Olympic discipline. Ideas involved sports with engines were long discarded by the COI, mostly when they prefer sports where the power comes from the athlete self.
Well, they have sports like sailing or bobsleigh where the power comes from wind and gravity. I think its more about motorsport being too expensive for anyone who really wants to have a shot at trying it.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2764336)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
No, but if drivers like Vettel are more desperate to win we will see more spectacular crashes.
Mark seems to be the form man on spectacular crashes at RBR.... Valencia being the one on the highlights reel so far, with Seb perhaps getting the award for the silly ones.

But back to the point of the topic, re medals, I think Jamesy-18 has summarised my feelings pretty well with his long and short of it statement.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2764348)   #23
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Bernie still wants medals'
Bernie is pretty old now, maybe dementia is taking hold more than ever.

For me its fine the way it is. Just leave it will ya!