Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:51 (Ref:2764936)   #1
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teflonso's start - Was it dangerous?

Having watched the Singapore GP and the BBC Forum I was wondering how the rest of you felt about Teflonso's start and his dive across the track?

My initial feelings was that it was a dangerous an totally not needed move made by a driver who thought he had fluffed his start. Now don't get me wrong I would feel the same which ever driver had done this as he seriously risked causing a major crash with Vettel and it was clear from the in car shots and how Seb backed off that it unnerved him. It's not just Teflonso who has started doing this as many of the grid seem to think it's an acceptable move indeed Seb is the driver who seems to do it most often. The more I watched the start the more I feel that the FIA and Stewards need to put a stop to drivers trying to defend a bad start like this as it's only a matter of when not if one of them gets it wrong and hits their opponent.

Having spoken to other friends some of whom are racing drivers and others who are marshals we all felt that this was the only blot on Teflonso's copy book this race and indeed he drove superbly for the rest of it. But we had to agree with Martin Brundle when he said the more he watched it the more out of order the move looked.

Anyway thats my opinion and I'd love to hear yours, so discuss.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2764937)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2764939)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But they've been doing this for ages and seem to get away with it.

One day, someone's going to keep their foot planted and they'll crash. Perhaps a situation where the driver behind is ahead on points going into the final race.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2764942)   #4
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it was dangerous at all, if you watch he is just moving over to stop other drivers zipping down the inside. I think Vettel knew the move was coming to be honest hence his very swift manoeuvre.

I'm not a Ferrari or Alonso fan but I think the way in which they have turned the season around is remarkable.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2764946)   #5
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The "Schumacher chop" as it is sometimes referred to. Nowadays a lot of drivers seem to do it.

Vettel has also used it quite a bit. I remember so did Webber.

Alonso's one was not as bad. But I agree it is something that should be looked at, as it could be very dangerous.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2764951)   #6
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd much rather they weren't allowed to do it but I have learnt to accept that since Schumacher introduced this particular move to the sport it is accepted by the drivers and the stewards so as spectators we have little option but to accept it to.

There is no doubt in my mind that starts would be safer if it wasn't allowed but I don't think the increase in risk it brings is all that great, however should we be unlucky enough to see a big accident as a direct result I am sure the authorities will stamp on it after the damage is done.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2764960)   #7
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I'd much rather they weren't allowed to do it but I have learnt to accept that since Schumacher introduced this particular move to the sport it is accepted by the drivers and the stewards so as spectators we have little option but to accept it to.

There is no doubt in my mind that starts would be safer if it wasn't allowed but I don't think the increase in risk it brings is all that great, however should we be unlucky enough to see a big accident as a direct result I am sure the authorities will stamp on it after the damage is done.
Yeah thats how I felt but I have the feeling that as per usual the FIA will close the stable door after the horse has bolted. I think it will take a major incident for this stupid and dangerous practice for any action to be taken. My main concern would be that as it's the start if the 2 leaders collide after a move like that how many other cars would end up involved? The risk may seem low but can you imagine it happening at somewhere like Monaco? You could end up with everybody out by the first corner!
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2764975)   #8
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only dangerous in a 'Motorsport is dangerous' way. They are nowhere near as bad the chops or weaves that plagued the mid-late 90s.

Do we not want a race? Maybe we should introduce a rule which states the drivers arn't allowed to defend if there is a car 5 metres from them.
Or even better, ban defending altogether.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2764984)   #9
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was nothing wrong with Alonso moving over. Vettel was behind at the time and wasnt forcing him off the road.

Its only an issue if they are ploughing someone into a wall or other cars like some of Vettels such as Silvertsone etc. But that was ok as he realised when a car was alongside that he had to stop moving over. Webber on Rubens last year was a tough move, hitting Rubens side pod. Thats going to happen from time to time when cars on the start are charging towards turn 1 and trying to manage the cars behind them, their braking zone on cold tyres and their turn in for the first turn,

Alonso in my eyes is 100% ok for his start
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2764990)   #10
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Only dangerous in a 'Motorsport is dangerous' way. They are nowhere near as bad the chops or weaves that plagued the mid-late 90s.

Do we not want a race? Maybe we should introduce a rule which states the drivers arn't allowed to defend if there is a car 5 metres from them.
Or even better, ban defending altogether.
Personally I feel they are as bad as the chops in the 90's. Having been part of the Marshals team at the first corner of a GP I can tell you the cars are a damned sight closer than they look on TV the simple fact is if the one of the two drivers involved doesn't back off there could be a huge crash that takes out most of the grid at the very start of the race. We have come along way from the days of Senna, Prost, and Schumi taking their opponents out deliberately so that they can win the title but I have a feeling that if it was a title decider and either Seb or Teflonso were cut up by an opponent that has to beat them to take the title they won't back out and would force the crash saying afterwards "Hey it's not my fault he cut me up and I had nowhere to go"
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2764995)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Textbook 'Schumi chop'. It was dangerous, even more so if Vettel had kept his foot in. I really don't like seeing drivers do that at the start of the race, but sadly it's now accepted practice. As others have said, if it causes an accident the FIA will suddenly realise that it's dangerous and will do something about it, but not before.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 26 Sep 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2765001)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Schumacher Chop; Schumi's brought so much to the sport.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2765019)   #13
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Schumacher Chop; Schumi's brought so much to the sport.
It was happening during the 1980s as well. Schumacher didn't invent it.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2765037)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, but its easier to kick a man when he's down.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2765041)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dangerous definitely. He'd have got punished if an accident occurred.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2765042)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Yeah, but its easier to kick a man when he's down.
People were kicking him about the Schumi Chop about 8 years ago!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 26 Sep 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2765044)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
People were kicking him about the Schumi Chop about 8 years ago!
Lies and slander, they were all in awe.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2765050)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't remember it being used in the '80s but if it was, it was never used as aggressively in they way Schumi did.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2765058)   #19
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't remember it being used in the '80s but if it was, it was never used as aggressively in they way Schumi did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUAPE...eature=related

Watch Berger as he defends against the Mclaren and second Williams.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2765061)   #20
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport is dangerous.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2765067)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Trying to overtake or defend it seems is very dangerous.

Alonso's start was fine nothing wrong with some intimidation tactics at all. If he'd actually shoved Vettel into the pitwall and caused a multiple shunt, well then that would've been different.

Last edited by chunterer; 26 Sep 2010 at 20:35.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2765072)   #22
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange,
vettel has been doing it all season when he is on pole.
strange how come a thread started when Alonso done it
Old 26 Sep 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2765077)   #23
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He also tried to do it at Monza by shoving Button almost onto the grass

But its the normal so its fair does really
Old 26 Sep 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2765079)   #24
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and i guess it comes under the ruling...
you can move across once to defend your position, then back to the racin line
Old 26 Sep 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2765084)   #25
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And this is what happens when it goes wrong-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0NA...layer_embedded