Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Feb 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3616331)   #1226
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
NSX GT3 is testing now in Hybrid and non-Hybrid form......both RWD.

It would use a system like in the SGT CRZ-GT300.(racing trans with Zytec KERS)
How good it looks?!?!?!
Old 21 Feb 2016, 00:33 (Ref:3616387)   #1227
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
NSX GT3 is testing now in Hybrid and non-Hybrid form......both RWD.

It would use a system like in the SGT CRZ-GT300.(racing trans with Zytec KERS)
I wonder where they're testing the NSX GT3 car? Is it in Sepang or Motegi? Also, glad that the experience Honda made with the CRZ GT300 car was carried over to the NSX.

Let's hope that once the hybrid drivetrain was approved and the NSX GT3 car was rolled-out with it, I wish that it'll be carried over to the GT500 car!
Old 21 Feb 2016, 01:15 (Ref:3616390)   #1228
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'd be shocked if they allow hybrid technology in GT3 yet. The added costs as well as finding BoP with speed and fuel economy. Just opens a whole new can of worms.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 01:20 (Ref:3616392)   #1229
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The other manufacturers wouldn't be happy either and that would be a constant headache for SRO in keeping them happy. Mind you that's a battle that's been going on for as long as time itself haha
Old 21 Feb 2016, 02:15 (Ref:3616403)   #1230
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Hybrid System for the NSX would be more for Torque Fill(solving turbo lag) than true performance.

It would make the 3.5L V6tt feel more like a big NA Engine down low and it would allow them use a bigger Turbo for better top-end without losing bottom-end(more down low torque than power).So standard BOP would still work.....weight,sonic restrictor and boost control.

Hybrid didn't work in SGT 500 NSX because it can't be used until over 7000 rpm(it's very low power 20kw didn't make up for the weight penalty....hurt performance very bad)
Old 21 Feb 2016, 05:14 (Ref:3616410)   #1231
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Yeah it was basically useless.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3616471)   #1232
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I sorta feel like the only person who has ZERO interest in seeing hybrid GT cars at this stage. Costs even more money and complicates the cars, and from the outside we will see no difference as it adds absolutely nothing to the on-track action as it will just be balanced like all the rest.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Honda shouldn't/can't do whatever they want with their money and GT3 car. Just that, from where I'm sitting, going down the hybrid road in GT3 doesn't seem like an improvement to the class at this point (and might even be harmful).

Last edited by Accident; 21 Feb 2016 at 12:10.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3616500)   #1233
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I sorta feel like the only person who has ZERO interest in seeing hybrid GT cars at this stage. Costs even more money and complicates the cars, and from the outside we will see no difference as it adds absolutely nothing to the on-track action as it will just be balanced like all the rest.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Honda shouldn't/can't do whatever they want with their money and GT3 car. Just that, from where I'm sitting, going down the hybrid road in GT3 doesn't seem like an improvement to the class at this point (and might even be harmful).
I can see your point but I always come back to the fact that the road car has a hybrid in and GT racing you should race with what the road car has. At least that is how I have always viewed it.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3616514)   #1234
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I can see your point but I always come back to the fact that the road car has a hybrid in and GT racing you should race with what the road car has. At least that is how I have always viewed it.
But the Audi and Nissan are AWD in the real world and RWD in racing. I agree with Accident. I don't care about hybrids in GT3. Not when it's a car made for the expressed purpose to sell to customers. If they wanted to allow hybrids in GTE that would be fine. Those are (mainly) factory efforts with much more money to spend. All hybridization will do it make costs go even higher than they already are. Since there aren't any models in GTE with hybrid capability now, introducing one from say, Honda is just going to make BoP a nightmare.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3616539)   #1235
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Could Aston Martin homologate the Vulcan?
Old 21 Feb 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3616546)   #1236
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Could Aston Martin homologate the Vulcan?
It would be nice, but that thing has 800hp and look more like GT1 or LMP car than GT car http://www.webcarstory.com/voiture.php?id=22806
Old 21 Feb 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3616605)   #1237
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's too expensive or too complicated, the idea of GT3 is that teams won't buy it. I'm far from a free-market fanboy, but when it comes to GT3: let the market decide if it should live or die. Of course what I'm REALLY trying to say is that this is a good opportunity for manufacturers to start developing building cheap and simple hybrid system.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3616610)   #1238
JoestEver
Rookie

JoestEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mind you, at the moment even there's quite a limited number of customer teams pruchasing turbo charged GT3 (aka, Mclaren and Nissan), not to mention the even more complicated hybrid.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 01:02 (Ref:3616627)   #1239
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if the privateers started building their own cars instead? It would be cheaper and look how it turned out for Reiter and Emil Frey.

Or, even past generation GT3 cars as long as teams can find ways to keep them competitive?
Old 22 Feb 2016, 01:13 (Ref:3616628)   #1240
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The nsx is a relative bargain hybrid supercar at $150-180k. The next one up is a Porsche 918 at $800-900k. It's even cheaper than some of the gt3 cars 'base' model (458/488, Huracan, Bentley). If they can make money on 488's and such, maybe Honda has a grand idea to undercut those guys with a technically superior package?
Old 22 Feb 2016, 01:45 (Ref:3616632)   #1241
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
What if the privateers started building their own cars instead? It would be cheaper and look how it turned out for Reiter and Emil Frey.

Or, even past generation GT3 cars as long as teams can find ways to keep them competitive?
GT3 is homologated through FIA and are subject to those guidlines.

L.P.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 04:27 (Ref:3616936)   #1242
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I sort of agree, I like the cars to stay pretty close to their street counterparts in terms of configuration.

I like to envision the GT racing models as the "pure" models of the road cars. Get rid of ABS/TCS (yeah I know they have that now, I still prefer them without), no magnetorheological dampers, no weird 8-speed gearboxes, no active aero, no AWD, and so on... I consider hybrid drive to be in that group.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 18:50 (Ref:3617090)   #1243
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
GT3 is homologated through FIA and are subject to those guidlines.
There are no guidelines. So long as it's a car model within 7 years of the current season, it can be run, and homologated.

Build whatever you want. If you wanted to dump an R26 into a 2009 RX-8 and homologate it for GT3, you can.. SRO/FIA work out the BoP.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3617122)   #1244
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
There are no guidelines. So long as it's a car model within 7 years of the current season, it can be run, and homologated.

Build whatever you want. If you wanted to dump an R26 into a 2009 RX-8 and homologate it for GT3, you can.. SRO/FIA work out the BoP.
Sorry to disappoint but that is incorrect. There are guidelines as to who has preference in homologating a car and that only a single homologation for a model may be held.

L.P.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:22 (Ref:3617129)   #1245
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint but that is incorrect. There are guidelines as to who has preference in homologating a car and that only a single homologation for a model may be held.
Uh. Duh. Everyone knows that.

But it still doesn't prevent "homebuilts" for cars that don't already have homologation, or have lapsed, so long as the car is still within 7 years of the current season.

I might not be able to build a GTR, but I can sure as heck build an Evora, or a new Jaguar, or a Mustang because the homolgations have expired, and have not been renewed.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 23 Feb 2016, 20:37 (Ref:3617135)   #1246
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Uh. Duh. Everyone knows that.

But it still doesn't prevent "homebuilts" for cars that don't already have homologation, or have lapsed, so long as the car is still within 7 years of the current season.

I might not be able to build a GTR, but I can sure as heck build an Evora, or a new Jaguar, or a Mustang because the homolgations have expired, and have not been renewed.
That is incorrect, only a manufacturer can homologate a car, or a 'tuner' if they have written approval from the manufacturer. Not many manufacturers will give approval even if you are spending all your own money.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3617164)   #1247
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, the homologation of the model is up to the manufacturer, the GT3 version I believe needs their permission too.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 23:28 (Ref:3617178)   #1248
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
That is incorrect, only a manufacturer can homologate a car, or a 'tuner' if they have written approval from the manufacturer. Not many manufacturers will give approval even if you are spending all your own money.
Do we actually need to speak in such absolutes? This is bordering on insane levels of fastidiousness.

If I approach Jaguar or whatnot, and say, "hey, this is a project I want to do" They will approve or deny.. should you be a semi professional outfit, there is little reason to suspect a denial would happen, but, naturally, it depends on marketing plans and such.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3617180)   #1249
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Do we actually need to speak in such absolutes? This is bordering on insane levels of fastidiousness.

If I approach Jaguar or whatnot, and say, "hey, this is a project I want to do" They will approve or deny.. should you be a semi professional outfit, there is little reason to suspect a denial would happen, but, naturally, it depends on marketing plans and such.
Uh. Duh. Everyone knows the answer to that. It's to prevent "homebuilts".

L.P.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3617187)   #1250
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Uh. Duh. Everyone knows the answer to that. It's to prevent "homebuilts".
No it isn't. SRO wants to force the manufacturing money in for their own benefit.

If Reiter, or RML, or whoever build a car, they won't be charged with marketing and manu fees like the OEM. They only pay the entry fees.