Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 May 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2456401)   #1
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrappage Scheme

I have a 10 year old car which I bought for £2400 two and a half years ago. obviously I couldn't hope to get 2 grand for it now in a private sale or trade in so I was thinking about the scrappage scheme.

Thing is, do I have to buy a brand new car or will nearly new be ok? if so, is there a maximum age limit on the car which you buy?

Thanks for any help!!
Old 6 May 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2456406)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In Germany newly new was fine (up to 12m old IIRC), although that isn't the case here. Here is a Q&A on it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/8018363.stm
It also applies to vans too. So you could trade in, or purchase, a van instead.
Old 6 May 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2456418)   #3
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
In Germany newly new was fine (up to 12m old IIRC), although that isn't the case here. Here is a Q&A on it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/8018363.stm
It also applies to vans too. So you could trade in, or purchase, a van instead.

Thanks for that. It looks like you have to buy a new car then. Fat lot of good that does then! 2 grand off a 12 grand car doesn't suddenly make it affordable! I was hoping I could get rid of my T reg Focus and get a more modern version instead.

Poo
Old 6 May 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2456464)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Don't forget the Govt. don't give you £2K off, it's a mixture of £1K from the government and £1K from the dealer of a participating manufacturer. You also wont get any other deals on top so in actual fact you are getting very little and what the govt. pay only equates to the VAT they charge anyway.
You would probably be better selling it privately and looking around for a decent deal.
Old 6 May 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2456561)   #5
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Yeah, i doubt it's worth much , i got carried away with the idea of getting rid of it for only £400 less than I paid for it. oh well i dont suppose anyone here wants to give me 2 grand for a 1.4 focus?!!!
Old 6 May 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2456580)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I don't know how true it is but someone has just told me that the pot is dry so the scheme is shelved for the time being.
Old 6 May 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2456622)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I thought the whole thing was a load of b*****ks right from the start.
At the moment you can get amazing deals from some dealers anyway, and just flog your old banger for what you can get for it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 May 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2456817)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
I don't know how true it is but someone has just told me that the pot is dry so the scheme is shelved for the time being.
all the car adverts on the tv at the moment mention this scheme?
Old 7 May 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2457011)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been talk of this here in Australia. The government is a bit reluctant.
Old 9 May 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2458458)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Acording to new evidence from Parker's car buying guide, British motorists have been disappointed.

Its survey of 600 people found that 70% of respondents said the scheme was not generous enough, and overall 81% said they would not be taking advantage of it.

Kieren Puffet, editor of Parker's, said many motorists have managed to find much larger discounts under existing deals.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 May 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2458636)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they made a good point on telly this morning though. on the dinky little cars that you don't tend to get huge discounts on anyway it's going to make a good difference. i think they're advertising a hippy eco panda for £5k on telly... five grand!!
Old 9 May 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2458658)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
A hippy eco Panda is fine if you are an eco-hippy. For the average family with a 10-year old Mondeo a Panda/Matiz/eco-box is going to be useless

I'm not surprised 80% of people aren't interested. Most people who drive a car that old do so out of either choice or necessity. If you drive a 10-year old Mini because you enjoy it then you probably aren't interested in a new car, and if you drive one because that's all you can afford then chances are a new car is still out of your reach even with the discount.
Old 9 May 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2458671)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
well to be honest, i've had a panda on hire a could of times and if there's 2 of you (or two plus a couple of dinky kids) it's excellent. ridiculously fun, economic to run and good rear seat space for the shopping/handbag/kids. as a second car you can't get much better.

i do agree that the scheme is largely useless though. it's a nice idea but as usual with gordon brown, it's a half arsed version of someone elses policy.
Old 10 May 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2459469)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
The best way out of it is to have 2 cars, one small for the week and one larger for the weekend as you can't drive 2 at once. I use a Smart Car and a Peugeot estate , but I suppose that's part of the perks of the motor trade.
Old 10 May 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2459504)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I use a Smart Car and a Peugeot estate , but I suppose that's part of the perks of the motor trade.
Driving a Smart car is not a perk, it's just sad.
Old 10 May 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2459607)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
as you can't drive 2 at once.
ahh, that'll be where i've been going wrong then
Old 10 May 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2459618)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Driving a Smart car is not a perk, it's just sad.
Jealousy will get you no where !
Old 12 May 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2461182)   #18
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Gordon; No wonder youve a bad back sat bolt upright in a Smart, plus the seats dont recline enough......
Old 12 May 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2461311)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Gordon; No wonder youve a bad back sat bolt upright in a Smart, plus the seats dont recline enough......
I have thought about that, but Motocross and an Anglia on 700lb springs didn't help !
Old 5 Jun 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2476247)   #20
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

found this:
Classic mini scrapped

what a waste
Old 7 Jun 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2476964)   #21
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
found this:
Classic mini scrapped

what a waste
Remember though, the average motorist is completely stupid when it comes to cars. They see them simply as appliances, and nothing more. Such a shame.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2477051)   #22
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
It's not been scrapped, though, has it?
Old 7 Jun 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2477057)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It will be. I was reading the facebook group about it. Someone tried to buy it already, and the dealer said they couldn't because it has to be scrapped under law.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2477235)   #24
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It will be. I was reading the facebook group about it. Someone tried to buy it already, and the dealer said they couldn't because it has to be scrapped under law.
the various protests from owners of minis resulted in BMW making the dealers remove the minis with 'scrap me' written on the side
i don't think it did the relationship between mini owners and BMW any good though looking at several users posts on another forum
Old 9 Jun 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2478110)   #25
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add it to the list... along with Clarkson blowing up the old double-decker bus, etc. The high price of steel over the last couple of years (until recently!) has seen a heap of potentially-useful old stuff cleaned up from farms etc in this country. I have heard of a few cases where people have tried to save old cars in good condition but the almighty dollar overrules.