Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Oct 2006, 15:12 (Ref:1741266)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pick Your Top 10 UK Drivers Of 2006

Ok, so its the end of another season's single seater racing (bar the Festival) so who are the ten drivers that have impressed you the most over the course of the season in the main UK single seater categories?

Mine are -

1 - Sam Bird - For me Sam is the driver that has stood out head and shoulders above everyone else this year across all the formulae. Yes he had a good package at Fortec but he drove with superb maturity throughout the year, taking on and beating much more established guys and without that crash mid-season at Donington could have played a bigger part in the title race (although some would say he did anyway ;-) )

2. Nathan Freke - Superb job by Nathan in UK Formula Ford. I certainly didn't expect him to perform the way he did, particularly after the opening rounds at Oulton Park where Peter Dempsey seemed to be a class above. Found his feet and rattled Dempsey as the season went along and took the title with relative ease. Shame that he's considering skipping these shores for 07 though.

3. Niall Breen - Just incase anybody tried to point out I had something against Irish drivers ;-) Niall did a great job over the season and was another to win the title with relative ease in the end. Had the ability to destroy the field over early laps of the race and proved a class above the rest of the field. Look forward to seeing how he progresses into 2007.

4. Bruno Senna - The start to the season he made was simply awesome but you always felt that he wouldn't be able to sustain it due to his inexperience. When he was on it he was devastatingly quick and proved along with Yelmer Buurman to be a real star in the wet. When events conspired against him his head went down though but with experience I'm sure he'll learn to deal better with this.

5. Mike Conway - Dominated the F3 season after a shaky start. Clearly has the pace to be a star but seems to struggle when he hasn't the perfect package. In saying that, that hasn't stopped Jenson Button getting to where he has! Did most of the work on the Saturday's across the year putting him in a position to get the job done on a Sunday but his race craft still has question marks against it as does his ability to look like he's actually enjoying himself!

6. Oliver Turvey - If he'd done the full UK BMW season I think we might have had more of a competition for the title. Clearly in the mould of talented but underfunded but could carve himself out to be a real star if he can get himself into the right package in 2007. Showed speed and racecraft combined but was never really under pressure across the season so will be interesting to see him involved in a real title battle.

7. Richard Singleton - BARC Renault has come on a great deal in 2006 and Singleton appears to be an exciting prospect. Dominated the season and showed an ability to win from the front whilst also impressing with his dabbles into BMW and Formula Renault UK. If he steps up to Formula Renault UK in 2007 in the right package he could be a potential title winner.

8. Sebastian Hohenthal - A good job from Seb over the course of the year. Had a difficult first half of the season but kept his head down when others would have given up and eventually came through to reap the rewards of that policy. Had a good package underneath him that he used to his advantage but was outclassed on several occasions by a rookie in the form of Sam Bird. Still question marks hang over his ability to be something special for me.

9. Oliver Oakes - Came into BMW UK and set the category alight in the early rounds with his pace against far more experienced drivers in car terms. As the season wore on he seemed to begin to struggle but I'm sure with experience he will turn out to be a real star. Will be interesting to see what he does in 2007 although it looks like it will be Formula Renault where he'll be expected to start to win races regularly.

10. Oliver Jarvis - A fantastic rookie year for Jarvis. Honda seemed to start the season a bit behind Mercedes but as the season went on they seemed to get back on par and when they did Jarvis came into his own. Drove with maturity and an added pressure this year as the reigning BRDC Award winner. Another year in F3 would surely yield the title so will be interesting to see what he decides for 2007 but clearly he is a talent.

I knew I should have made it 20 to save me having to go back to uni work!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1744029)   #2
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
You've obviously put a lot of work into that list, Gaz, but it leaves me slightly confused. Possibly other people, too, which may be why there have been no replies until now. I think the question is, have you listed the drivers in the order in which they have impressed you most within their own particular Series or Championship, or are you saying that Sam Bird is the best driver of them all and so on down the list?

In the meantime, the comics have been listing their top ten BF3 drivers. Motorsport News did it first, so here's their list. I have added where each driver finished in the Series in brackets after the name, just for information.

1. Oliver Jarvis [2nd].
2. Bruno Senna [3rd].
3. Mike Conway [1st].
4. Maro Engel [5th].
5. Yelmer Buurman [4th].
6. Christian Bakkerud [6th].
7. Stephen Jelley [7th]
8. Rodolfo Gonzalez [1st National Class].
9. James Jakes [8th].
10. Alberto Valerio [11th].

The order of the first 3 is mildly controversial, but let's see what Autosport says!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1744201)   #3
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, sorry for the confusion strider - I picked my top 10 drivers from across the board (so the 10 drivers that have impressed me most in UK single seater racing this year) i.e, British F3, Formula Renault UK, BARC Formula Renault, UK Formula Ford, UK Formula BMW.

They aren't in any particular order, just happens to be coincedental that Sam Bird's names mentioned first although if I was asked to put them in order he would be my number 1.

Wow, hope that clears it up!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1744284)   #4
miniman
Rookie

miniman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gaz, of your list, Senna will obviously make it all the way to F1, of the rest, Bird and Jarvis stand out, but Bird ticks all the boxes for me.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1763434)   #5
elementsports
Rookie

elementsports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
re drivers

1/ Jarvis
2/ Conway
3/ Foster (would be no1 if not broken everything in his body this season)
4/ Freke
5/ Turvey
6/ Rudolfo
7/ Bruno
8/ Bird
no other of interest...