Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2929750)   #26
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Lola and Drayson Racing are collaberating on an electric powered car:

http://www.draysonracingtechnologies...ollaboration-7
Good for them.

I'm of the opinion that an electric vehicle (with a gas turbine or IC engine as electricity source rather than batteries) could actually be faster than an equivalently but conventionally engined F1 car with the same fuel load.

If only the FIA would allow it....
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2929800)   #27
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Good for them.

I'm of the opinion that an electric vehicle (with a gas turbine or IC engine as electricity source rather than batteries) could actually be faster than an equivalently but conventionally engined F1 car with the same fuel load.

If only the FIA would allow it....
They should be faster as they have such a huge power band and you could run much more efficient energy recovery systems.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2936119)   #28
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Don't worry about it, it's only in the pits...

Selby
Don't worry about it, it's finished:

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/56218.html
Old 5 Aug 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2936125)   #29
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the idea of using electrical power (how long before someone gets run over in the pit lane because they can’t hear the cars anymore?). That would be a great way to make F1 more road relevant. I think the FIA should give the teams carte Blanche if they can power their cars with electricity or an alternate fuel source. Bernie would love Hydrogen fuel—water exhaust; saves money on sprinklers.

In seriousness, investing in alternatives to petroleum-based fuels would be a worthwhile investment. Recently there has been a mass exodus of manufacturers from formula-1. Audi have again refused to join F1, citing lack of road relevance. Cost-cutting measures are taking the life out of the sport. Taking the engine noise might actually be the way to put it back in. Producing green cars would: be great publicity, give manufacturers a reason (or an excuse, at least) to participate in F1 and be safer. Furthermore, it would be cheaper to run green cars and it would bring more money into the sport. You’d have car manufacturers fighting to get back into F1 and sponsors lining up.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2936164)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
Audi have again refused to join F1, citing lack of road relevance.
Wolfgang Ullrich (Audi boss):

“We believe formula one and Audi do not fit, so long as the technology has no relevance to the development of our production cars,”

He said of DTM and Sports cars:

“The technologies are closely related to those used by our clients, so they directly benefit from our motor racing. In F1 that is not currently the case,”

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
Cost-cutting measures are taking the life out of the sport.
He also said:

“So, the DTM continues to be the benchmark in cost-versus-benefit,”

DTM is also to have another cost reduction of 50% for the 2012 season. Will it be 50% less good?

Most F1 teams still spend in excess of $100,000,000 per season, just to put two racing cars on the grid! Crazy! I'm surprised that it's managed to stay off pay-per-view in the UK for as long as it has!

There have been concerns about the use of electric only power in the pit lane.

Eric Boullier (Renault):

"Personally I have some concerns about the electrical running in the pit lane," he said. "I understand the environmentally friendly push, but there is a safety issue. For me it is very dangerous to have silent cars in the pit lane."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93321

Some form of warning siren, perhaps?

BE says 'NO' to electric (in the pit lane).

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ic-pit-motors/

“We can’t blame Jean Todt because this was started by Max. It was Max’s original idea. His idea is what is being promoted now.”

It seems, like most do, that he's blaming the former government for all F1s current problems.

Last edited by Marbot; 5 Aug 2011 at 15:14.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2936296)   #31
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
“We can’t blame Jean Todt because this was started by Max. It was Max’s original idea. His idea is what is being promoted now.”
Oh we all know that so well.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2936330)   #32
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Worry

Mark my words for that; The future of motorsport isn't as bad as you think. Wait and see.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2936331)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Oh we all know that so well.
Problem is that the F1 commission has been newly set up by Todt, and it is they that have voted in the new regulations. Lots of people don't like them. Bernie is just diverting flack.

I've recently got very tired of Todt bleating on about 'green' issues (on the few occasions he's made his presence known), so I can't believe that this isn't any of his doing.

Can't wait to hear Max's reply.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 00:56 (Ref:2936340)   #34
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Problem is that the F1 commission has been newly set up by Todt, and it is they that have voted in the new regulations. Lots of people don't like them. Bernie is just diverting flack.

I've recently got very tired of Todt bleating on about 'green' issues (on the few occasions he's made his presence known), so I can't believe that this isn't any of his doing.

Can't wait to hear Max's reply.

You are correct here, trying to blame Max for the current rubbish is a bit steep!

Bernie's rubbish about the silence in pit lane being a problem is just plain retarded.
Every truck on the road has a warning beeper for reverse, put a beeper on the cars that has to be automatically activated upon entering pit lane - done.
Give them all horns - road relevance - puke!
Old 6 Aug 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2936341)   #35
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Things, ideas get tossed around and IMHO I think this one, is a rubbish idea...
Old 6 Aug 2011, 02:01 (Ref:2936349)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes it is !
Old 6 Aug 2011, 02:02 (Ref:2936351)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes it is !
I have never heard a more stupid idea...

The only electric motors I want to hear is on a "censored" of mine..
Old 6 Aug 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2936398)   #38
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Every truck on the road has a warning beeper for reverse, put a beeper on the cars that has to be automatically activated upon entering pit lane - done.
Give them all horns - road relevance - puke!
I agree, but they would have to be loud enough not to be drowned out by passing traffic on track, however. It's a legitimate concern, but not something that can't be solved easily.

I don't think this idea is rubbish. To me it sounds like a bunch of people resisting change. I mean; KERS is already on the car. KERS is a dangerous gimmic with little or no road (or race) value. Formula One is and always should be pinnacle of motorsport where everything is aimed at making the quickest possible racing cars. However, making it more road relevant can only help the sport. Are F1 fans really that attached to noise? What if in the next decade cars were quicker than they are now while running on something other than petrol? Would that be a disaster?

I think this is a good starting point for road relevance and alternative power. Getting the resources and minds in F1 involved in this endeavor is a great thing. Look at what the teams do with downforce every year. The engines rev at 19,000 RPMs and are very reliable. Why not get these guys working on moving away from fossil fuels?

Last edited by HughGJohnson; 6 Aug 2011 at 10:59.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2936406)   #39
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If F1 wants to improve it's environmental credentials they need to ban KERS and battery-powered cars. The only battery allowed should be the usual 12V lithium one that the dashboard and ECU run off.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2936417)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
If F1 wants to improve it's environmental credentials they need to ban KERS and battery-powered cars.
According to Bernie, F1 doesn't need to be green at all. Although I'm not sure how banning KERS and battery powered cars will make its environmental credentials better?
Old 6 Aug 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2936441)   #41
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
But having them does not make its environmental credentials better either...
Old 6 Aug 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2936446)   #42
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

The whole concept is wrong, it's a long way for F1 to become "green".
Old 6 Aug 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2936448)   #43
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
The FIA are to introduce a new 'Formula E' championship.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/Documents/fia-formula-e.pdf
Old 6 Aug 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2936473)   #44
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
The whole concept is wrong, it's a long way for F1 to become "green".

I completely agree, I really wonder why the need for F1 to become more green in the first place?

I just can't the point as race cars are just not road car relevant at all, and would making them so attract more of the public to car racing? I doubt it..
Old 6 Aug 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2936484)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

I just can't the point as race cars are just not road car relevant at all, and would making them so attract more of the public to car racing? I doubt it..
It's not the public they are trying to attract to the sport. It's car manufacturers and sponsors. 'Green' is very marketable these days.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2936488)   #46
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I am somewhat of a tree hugger myself up and to a point, but fishing causes more environmental damage than F1 racing ..

Bring back Tobacco advertising by the way..
Old 6 Aug 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2936504)   #47
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I am somewhat of a tree hugger myself up and to a point, but fishing causes more environmental damage than F1 racing ..
I always remember to take my litter home after a days fishing.

Obviously F1 can't do much about the silly way in which human beings take fish from the sea. But at least the UK has a law coming in that is going to prevent dead fish being thrown back into the sea because a trawler ship has gone over its quota. Each must put their own house in order, I guess.

Quote:
Reduce the world population by means of more dangerous pastimes. Good idea.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2936507)   #48
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
The points that I was making are as follows.

Tobacco advertising in car racing had zero influence on whether I smoked or not..

I am not talking about the leaving of litter at fishing sites, although there is no excuse for this behaviour.. I am talking about all the cars that people use to get themselves there in the first place..

I see staff at Hospitals all the time that smoke? Go figure that one..
Old 6 Aug 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2936519)   #49
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Tobacco advertising in car racing had zero influence on whether I smoked or not..
Me neither. So why is it that some people smoke? And why is it that tobacco companies spend (and still do in F1, albeit subliminally) many, many millions to advertise their goods? Remember that they are not really advertising to get people to smoke or even any particular brand of cigarettes. They are just advertising the condoned use of cigarettes. So which brand one chooses is neither here nor there as long as it's one of the brands that your particular company is selling. And there aren't that many companies, but there are a lot of brands. Chances are that someone's buying one of yours because they've been reminded to buy some cigarettes after seeing your competitors ad.

Quote:
I am not talking about the leaving of litter at fishing sites, although there is no excuse for this behaviour.. I am talking about all the cars that people use to get themselves there in the first place..
People use their cars to get to lots of places. I hardly think that most of a cars mileage is taken up by 'going fishing'. Should we ban 'shopping' or 'getting to work' etc? Perhaps it's that short journey to the airport that's most destructive to the planet?

Quote:
I see staff at Hospitals all the time that smoke? Go figure that one..
Because they are addicted to a drug?

Perhaps they were addicted to it long before they decide to enter the nursing profession?

People are weird, aren't they.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 03:26 (Ref:2936781)   #50
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
Quote:
It's not the public they are trying to attract to the sport. It's car manufacturers and sponsors. 'Green' is very marketable these days.
Agree 100%. Being green is nice, but it's all about the money.

Quote:
Again, I agree. The powers that be act like people are too stupid to know what they're doing. Nobody thinks their smoking to coat their lungs in a protective film. Tobacco isn't coming back, though. That's why being green is so important. Racing can ill afford the loss of sponsorship from car manufacturers considering there is no tobacco money.
Quote:
Reduce the world population by means of more dangerous pastimes. Good idea.

awful, I know... I was looking for the shrug smiley, but I saw this.