Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3027517)   #26
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I would have thought *power steering* in a F1 car works, or it does not?

It does teach a lesson and that is do not broadcast your dislikes about team or car to the media..
Its a double edged sword, i think. If you "go public" it makes you look a whinger, if you don't, your being smashed by your team mate!!
Old 18 Feb 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3027544)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's also slightly ironic that having produced a power steering system that is now to Trulli's liking, they, Caterham, then ask him to leave....
i think that's quite neat, even if it's just a coincidence. it's effectively saying "so you breached contract for most of last year by moaning about the team, now let's return all that goodwill and show you the door". because every contract has a clause about not whining about the team in, and the team not whining about the driver.

i mean, common sense says that someone with their head on a downer and who can't be as in contact with the track as their driving style demands shouldn't be driving the car until they can. particularly when you've got someone like chandhok sat on the sidelines getting itchy feet (and doing some fantastic pr for the team). as it happens the second car was wasted for most if not all of last year as a result.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3027559)   #28
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not going to miss Trulli much but wasn't going to miss Petrov at all either. Would prefer someone with the vague prospect of a decent (non-ride-buying) career.

As a fan this does nothing for me. But in fairness I get why Caterham have done it. Ho hum.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3027575)   #29
Lewjen
Rookie

Lewjen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mystery - If you ask me, I think Petrov has quite a good chance at a good career. I find all this talk of him buying his seat quite unfair; I think he's done more than enough to warrant his seat there. Up against Kubica in his rookie season (which would have been an aweful lot of pressure, especially seeing as he was driving to keep his seat), and then up against Nick Heidfeld, who he often matched and out-raced.
Good luck to Petrov this year!
Old 18 Feb 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3027591)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I concur. Petrov may not be in the mould of Hamilton, Webber, Button, Alonso or Vettel, but he certainly is as good as Massa in his early career. I hope he goes on to better things. Besides, if you discount him you also discount Senna who was pretty much equal with him last year.

As far as Trulli is concerned I've never rated him.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3027594)   #31
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
me too, though there's quite a few big question marks that petrov still has to dismiss. consistency, not throwing it off, and maybe the public relations aspect. he needs to demonstrate he's learnt from last year. but when he's on it... he's really very good. definitely better than maldonado. and smarter too, but that's not saying much.

if you're an autosport subscriber, this is a good sum-up of the pros and cons of petrov, and the things he needs to sort out:
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...sian-roulette/
Old 18 Feb 2012, 14:30 (Ref:3027605)   #32
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Trulli was always a stylish driver, quick over a single lap, but he seemed to lack a bit of drive compared to his contemporaries. Still, he carved out a long career and chalked up a win, which is more than most manage.

Petrov is reasonably good, and money talks.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3027607)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seriously, there's nothing exciting with the line-ups this season, even Kimi, who I used to praise... well, now we have a new german fellow dominating, yawn.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3027632)   #34
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Besides, if you discount him you also discount Senna who was pretty much equal with him last year.
Indeed and I do.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3027636)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would have agreed with you two years ago, but I think Senna has some talent, which is why I also think Petrov is better than many may give him credit for.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3027639)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Seriously, there's nothing exciting with the line-ups this season, even Kimi, who I used to praise... well, now we have a new german fellow dominating, yawn.
I'm excited to see how Vergne gets on. It's been a while since we've had a Frenchman at the forefront - he might just be it.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3027640)   #37
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
I would have agreed with you two years ago, but I think Senna has some talent, which is why I also think Petrov is better than many may give him credit for.
Senna does have some talent, as does Petrov. I just feel neither are exciting choices. Mind you the alternatives aren't too thrilling either. Hence you have a rump of good drivers all milling about in GP2 and FR3.5 none of whom are doing well enough to leap up to F1.

I do worry where the next generation of world class F1 drivers are coming from actually but that's one for a whole other thread!
Old 18 Feb 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3027642)   #38
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Senna does have some talent, as does Petrov. I just feel neither are exciting choices. Mind you the alternatives aren't too thrilling either. Hence you have a rump of good drivers all milling about in GP2 and FR3.5 none of whom are doing well enough to leap up to F1.

I do worry where the next generation of world class F1 drivers are coming from actually but that's one for a whole other thread!
They're probably right under our nose, waiting for their chance. I can't remember being particularly excited about Vettel or Kubica before F1, but once they got to the top they shone.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3027644)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Senna does have some talent, as does Petrov. I just feel neither are exciting choices.
Yes, I see your point now. And I also wonder where the next talent is coming from, but without testing and the other things we were used to seeing, I think we are moving the basic level to F3.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3027645)   #40
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'm excited to see how Vergne gets on. It's been a while since we've had a Frenchman at the forefront - he might just be it.
I have to say I'm glad he got the drive and I'm positive he will never whinge about anything to the public as he himself lost his drive at Renault. I rated him above Senna on speed alone but he just needs to make less mistakes. I also would like to see a Frenchman (Vergne) do a Vettel. I don't know when Ialy will have another great driver but I myself will miss an Italian in F1. I'm glad to see Perez do well last year. I think this year Sauber will struggle but I hope I'm hoping I'm wrong. Just my thoughts. Oh yes unlike many of you hear on this board, I quite like the cars. The look aggresively beautiful.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3027655)   #41
Lewjen
Rookie

Lewjen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Oh yes unlike many of you hear on this board, I quite like the cars. The look aggresively beautiful.
I agree. Some of the steps are incredibly ugly (Ferrari, Caterham), but some of them I think really look very good (Force India).
Now, if only we could go back to low (not too low, sort've inbetween what they are now and what they used to be like) and wider rear wings, and front wings that don't look like they've consumed 10 bags of steroids.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3027683)   #42
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
B. Senna is a driver that no one would have ever heard of, had not he had the last name he had. I could be wrong but I think Bruno will only end up being a journeyman F1 driver and probably will never win a race.

Also if given enough chances and time, many drivers can develop so there is always a chance for Petrov and Senna, but I'll be surprised if they make it.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3027694)   #43
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think any driver who spends 2 years in F1 with a midfield team will stand out if they have talent.

The first part is to consistently beat your team mate and the second is to do more than the car is normally capable.

I know occasionally a driver will come through with a slow burn, but most of the very good drivers stand out pretty quickly.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3027695)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
happy by the move. there is no need to keep JT there particularly when you have Heikki who is more than capable and talented enough to lead that team through his experience and awesome attitude.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3027697)   #45
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I think any driver who spends 2 years in F1 with a midfield team will stand out if they have talent.
not sure if you are for or against pay drivers but i agree with that completely because even if you are a pay driver you are not going to find people to give you money forever. at some point you have to stand up and justify your spot on the grid because there will always be someone behind you with either more talent or more money.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3027712)   #46
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
B. Senna is a driver that no one would have ever heard of, had not he had the last name he had.
If the drivers on the 2012 F1 grid had poor parents who couldn't afford to put them in a go-kart, you'd never have heard of any of them. Motorsport is expensive, and F1 an exclusive club.

Natural talent isn't enough to get you to F1 - you need money, contacts, a famous surname or maybe just a bit of luck.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3027723)   #47
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If the drivers on the 2012 F1 grid had poor parents who couldn't afford to put them in a go-kart, you'd never have heard of any of them. Motorsport is expensive, and F1 an exclusive club.

Natural talent isn't enough to get you to F1 - you need money, contacts, a famous surname or maybe just a bit of luck.
This is where F1 (and motorsport in general) is coming unstuck.
Back in the 60's and 70's, (less so in the 80's but it was still possible) drivers could progress a career quite significantly on talent alone.

That isn't the case today. even lower and intermediate formulae require significant sums of cash to progress. Clark and Stewart, Hill snr, Brabham, Surtees, Hulme, Fittapaldi, Hunt, Jones, Rosberg while from well off families, were really picked up early by talented observers and patrons or earned their way through the ranks, paying as they went. That doesn't happen today and the sport is the poorer for it.

The other problem is that F1 grew in public perception and understanding in that era and the stories of people who made it on talent rather than cash encapsulated a part of its wider public appeal and support. F1 in particular grew from the plaything of rich people in the 50's to a serious sporting contest by the 70's and Bernie was able to capture television to catapault F1 into the living rooms and public consciousness.

But people, particularly young men, could identify with the men who were the heroes of the sport and their struggles through the lower ranks to the elite group. In this sense if a sport is to have great mass audience it has to be a sport people can identfy with. Tennis, golf, rugby, soccer, cricket, even athletics, are sports people can identify with in terms of being able to experience it themselves.

Now its ALL about money. And the sheer cost of technology and the way F1 (along with its support operations, GP2, GP3, and the classes that lead you there) operates, like a private members club. Its exclusive, its expensive to join. In that light it is not that relevant to millions of young men whereas 30 years ago it was far more relevant., and something they could identify with much more easily.

The demographic of the audience has also shifted. In 1982 the sport would have had its main audience in the 10-40yr old demographic groups.Those people are now 40-70 ears old.
To many in the present 10-40 yr old demographic the sport is too remote, distant, insular, and inward looking to be bothered with. All the tricks in the their present book are not going to draw the mass audience back in.

Don't forget that you, the reader of this, are one of those who has been drawn in. But how many of your generation do you know of who are really as interested as you are.
Unless some thing changes it will coninue to lose audience, television audience, and relevance as a genuine international sporting spectacle.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3027751)   #48
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trulli was a woeful tugger last year and should have quit F1 in tandem with Toyota.

Petrov would be instantly forgettable if it weren't for his mysterious manager.She lurks in the back of the garage looking like a cross between a Bond villain and the Ambassador's wife.

The latest generation of extraordinarily wealthy Russian's is something of a puzzle to me.................................
Old 18 Feb 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3027754)   #49
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Trulli was a woeful tugger last year and should have quit F1 in tandem with Toyota.
Easy to say, but if you're doing a job you love and someone is prepared to pay you well to do it, it must be tempting to stick around.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 23:16 (Ref:3027763)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Easy to say, but if you're doing a job you love and someone is prepared to pay you well to do it, it must be tempting to stick around.
Of course you are absolutely right, I would and so would 98% of drivers...