Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1513499)   #1
chewy pappas
Rookie

chewy pappas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
f1 tobacco advertising

Perhaps I've missed something obvious but can anyone explain the actual rules/law regarding tobacco advertising in F1.Why, if it is banned/being banned shortly,and I see that mild seven are to pull out,would Marlboro continue to sponsor Ferrari long term.Werent some French publications fined recently for publishing pictures of a tobacco livered car? If anyone could shed any light on the subject it would be appreciated.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1513505)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Marlboro will buy the 'space' on the car and then rent it to other companies.Simple innit.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1513531)   #3
chewy pappas
Rookie

What would be the logic in Marlboro buying the space and not being able to put their name on it.is it just to sell the space on, at a profit?
Old 1 Feb 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1513548)   #4
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They might use the Ferrari cars and team "image" on the cigarette packs and so on.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1513595)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, and Philip Morris (via the Marlboro brand) have owned the space on the cars fo sometime now.

The ban is a result of the EU ban on tobacco advertising. Thus, we will still see it in non-EU races.

There are some, like Indy, for example, where tobacco companies can only sponsor in one series at a time.

There may be others that do their own thing, but the Big One that you are refering to is the EU-wide one.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1513607)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aren't non-EU countries already applying themselves to the WHO's anti-tobacco law?
That must mean it's getting global now instead of just confined to the EU?
Old 1 Feb 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1513619)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well I know some were rumbling about it, I wasn't aware of anything being implemented yet.

Or, at least, they may have signed to the idea, but I haven't heard anything about it going to be the case this year.

Some countries are doing their own thing, for sure, but not like a big every-country-globally-have-this-year.

I don't think.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1513639)   #8
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Marlboro will buy the 'space' on the car and then rent it to other companies.Simple innit.
Yeah, i hope they do something like that instead of having big patchs of blank white all over the car
Old 1 Feb 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1513685)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well i don't think they'll do that will they? pointless...sell it on and make profit. best idea.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1513700)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not if they are going for putting Ferrari symbols on cigarette packets, then it is doin the process in reverse.

You buy your Marlboros, you see the Ferrari symbol. So, when you see the Ferrari you think of your Marlboros.

Non-smokers will still see the packets.

It is doing a reverse of having Marlboro on the Ferrari. Well, more accurately, it is achieving the same ends via a twist in a familiar theme.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1513903)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah course that'll work, but blank white spaces on the car? not convinced.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1514225)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing a Ferrari in any colour other than scarlet is an indirect reminder of tobacco sponsorship, so perhpas it does work. Maybe it is a loophole which needs closing. Advertising ultimately does increase smoking, if it didn't they wouldn't do it, because as an industry they would simply be spending money for no overall gain. The tobacco industry is what's known as an oligopoly - a few large companies competing more on branding than price, as an increase in price from one company would simply see someone undercut them, and a reduction in price would see everyone forced to follow suit, and thus losing profit en masse.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1514267)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Advertising ultimately does increase smoking, if it didn't they wouldn't do it, because as an industry they would simply be spending money for no overall gain.
False statement. Advertising ultimately increase smoking of a specific brand. Not smoking per se.

[/off topic]
Old 2 Feb 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1514279)   #14
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
False statement. Advertising ultimately increase smoking of a specific brand. Not smoking per se.

[/off topic]
Wrong and there are about a gazillion separate research stats to prove it. If they leave the spaces on the cars blank the fag companies could photoshop their brand in afterwards for printed ads or os markets.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1514332)   #15
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still object to the advertising being banned in the first place. I know its OT but can someone give me some explanation of this logic. I look at it as if you aren't aware of the risks of smoking then you must have you head so far down in the sand that you can't see these advertisements. People smoke by their own choice there are many methods to quit (and applause to williams for it). Seriously if you start smoking as a result of a really fast car or any other pretty picture then you are completely ignoring the overwhelming (and in this country obnoxious) arguements made against it.

All this also comes from a former smoker (5 years) who enjoyed smoking as calming but decided the health risks weren't worth it...a logical decision IMHO
Old 2 Feb 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1514369)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you start to smoke because of a fast car then you deserve a nomination for the Darwin awards. I chose to smoke because I wanted 'to be cool'. I chose to smoke Marlboro because they sponsor Ferrari, but I was already smoking for over 10 years.

Dsg, there are gazilion researches that can prove you anything. For example you can say that condom adverts increase... ok we digress.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1514373)   #17
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
off topic .. been a while Red

Ciao Marco
Old 2 Feb 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1514461)   #18
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking from an American legal POV though I quickly see this 'quasi advertising' headed down a slippery slope. We have already seen Lawsuits against Newspapers, how long till we see lawsuits against teams? The precedent has been set that even press coverage is considered advertising. If Marlboro uses Ferrari for marketing through a silhoutte a picture or a logo...will we see emboldened lawsuits considering any pictures of an f-1 cars to be advertising? I honestly think that the FIA needs to make it clear that individidual nations cannot put their will and laws on a third party, or there will be consequences. I fear the day when Ferrari can no longer run red because it reminds people of marlboro and I am not joking
Old 3 Feb 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1515140)   #19
chewy pappas
Rookie

if for example autosport in the uk print a pic of a ferrari from some grand prix where tobacco adverts are allowed,are autosport breaking the law?
Old 4 Feb 2006, 00:36 (Ref:1515174)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
off topic .. been a while Red
[off topic]

Ditto... the gold old Red.

[/off topic]

The secrets and tricks of marketing. It's almost a science for itself
Old 4 Feb 2006, 02:06 (Ref:1515193)   #21
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And does it apply only to the current cars, or does it cover all cars that ever had cig ad's on them?
Old 4 Feb 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1515244)   #22
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes marketing is almost THE most significant area of a modern F1 team
Old 4 Feb 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1515588)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I fear the day when Ferrari can no longer run red because it reminds people of marlboro and I am not joking
Ferraris were yellow in the early 1960's this would explain why so many people eat bananas..................
Old 5 Feb 2006, 02:52 (Ref:1515755)   #24
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Ferraris were yellow in the early 1960's this would explain why so many people eat bananas..................
Ross Brawn included.
Old 5 Feb 2006, 02:56 (Ref:1515756)   #25
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could the market research of Marlboro work against them ?

They ring up people, do a survey and ask "Does seeing a plain red Ferrari make you think of Marlboro".. 65% of smokers say yes, 35% of smokers say no.

This data means that Marlboro's marketing campaign is successful (to an extent), but the same data could be used by the Health Federations to indicate that the mere sight of a Ferrari F1 car is an advertisement for Tobacco.