Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2653806)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Nico vs Michael

While i'm sure that Nico is pleased to have beaten Michael on sunday and equally, Michael will not be happy to have been beaten, the gap was only 4 seconds at the end of the race.

Should Nico, in fact, be worried that he can only beat a guy,who has been out of F1 for 3 years, by 4 seconds?

Should Michael actually be happy that he got within 4 seconds dispite being out of F1?

Or, did Michael have enough testing over the winter and it's simply a case that Michael now has a faster team mate?

Thoughts anyone?

Will Michael or Nico end up ahead at the end of the season?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2653814)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael will be disappointed because he didn't win, let alone beat his team mate. That's just the way he is
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2653818)   #3
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it wont happen again i suspect !
;-)
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2653821)   #4
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 2 cents.
Michael didn't have nearly as much testing as he did back in Ferrari days (due to latest rules) and he's admited it will take some time to get fully mentally back into the game. I think in the race MS was hampered by the aero rules (as they all were) as when he dropped back he very quickly caught up to the car in front but not able get close enough to pass.

Nico however has more newer experiance in the current cars and isn't a bad steering, just hasnt been able to truely show his abilities. I still believe MS will come out on top by the end of year (possibly with a race win) over Nico.

Plus the Merc team are not having the two fold advantage from last year, being the diffuser and bucket loads of Honda developement before thier withdrawl.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2653822)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Nico is a damn fine driver, and disagreed with those who said Schumacher might destroy his career. Perception-wise, it could be argued he can only do well, because if he's beaten, well it's the most successful driver of all time he was beaten by, and if he beats him..

I think Schumacher will soon work the old magic, but I think Nico may beat him in many races. I'll stick my neck out for the interests of the thread and say one third.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2653881)   #6
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher did drive well even if he wasn't quite on the pace. I suspect Michael will only get better with more time and input into the car's development over the course of the season.

Watch out Nico!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 01:17 (Ref:2653888)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Four seconds is an eternity in F1. TGF's legacy lies in complete tatters.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 01:50 (Ref:2653896)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Knowlesy, I know you can be a sarcastic man but can you clarify that you are not serious there? His legacy could potentially be affected if he carries on this way through the season, but not yet.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 01:58 (Ref:2653898)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hehe, I am teasing.

And no matter what happens this season, he has achieved lots of things that can't really be ruined.

I have to say though, I had Nico down to surprise us all this year and TGF will have his hands full. Especially on what appear to be totally equal terms.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2653903)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Michael has nothing to lose to be honest, his record speaks for itself.

I did not think for one moment that he would make Nico look silly, as Rosberg would not be at Mercedes if Ross did not believe he could cut the mustard and get the job done..
Old 17 Mar 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2653904)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think it will most likely be back and forth between them through the year, and with Nico likely maintaining the upperhand for the fly-aways. I still suspect, over the year as whole, Michael will end up with the edge. It is going to be hard work for him, though: no doubt about that. If Michael has this disadvantage still come the mid-season point, then I would not be terribly surprised if he walked.

I still reckon that at a point during the race Mercedes figured Nico had no hope of getting any further up the order, so got him to dial it back and match Michael's pace (i.e. 4 seconds flattered to deceive).

I can't see Michael being behind Nico like he was in Bahrain for all the races this year, although it may be that I am convincing myself of that because I want it to be the case.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2653993)   #12
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Though I know this will be filed for future reference by some , I'll say it:

No way TGF will be better throughout the whole season. Only way it can happen is if he again gets undisputed No1 treatment, which I hope won't happen.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2654225)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If Nico gets the better of Michael over the course of the season and maybe into next season, do we see Michael seeing out his 3 year contract?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2654229)   #14
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gues it depends on real reasons he came back for.
If he is back because he wants to race, than sure he'll be there. On another hand, if he is back only because he thinks to highly of himself, than he's gone.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2654282)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Personally I was please to have my faith restored in Nico.

When he first came into F1 with Williams I was expecting great things, thisg which never really materialised.
As time passed his showings were becoming increasingly lack-lustre, but I think his pace in the Brawn has shown he does have the class and ability I first though he had.

Hands up: I admit I'm not a Michael fan (I dislike the way he's forced competitors off the track and played stupid mind games in the past. His driving is plenty good enough for this to be unnecessary). However, I am pleased to see him back, and how he now compares to the current crop of drivers.

I am sure that Michael will improve with more time in the car, but do hope he does this in a genuine way, and not because he's moulding the team around him, and having the car modified to his advantage (and Nico's disadvantage).

I am sure that time will tell, and the conspiracy theories will continue...
Old 17 Mar 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2654450)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I am sure that time will tell...
unfortunatly time can only tell him one thing at his age...that is you can't fight time.
one thing i don't know is how his body felt the next day.
or forget about one race what will it feel like after a whole season? will he feel like Ali in 1979 after he won his final title or like Ali after Holmes destroyed him the following year. but for Ali that loss did little to tarnish his reputation. if anything it endeared him more to the world. thats what makes MS' comeback all the more special. despite all that he has accomplished, he has returned to fight the unwinnable fight and there is something more noble in that than all of his records to date.

but back on topic, obviously there is still a whole season to go, but i'm interested to see how things will unfold when Brawn starts figuring out the optimum race strategy and is forced to pick which driver will get what. i suspect that NR will have no problems proving he deserves the best race strat though. the way he has handled himself during this media explosion/comeback speaks volumes about his focus. very impressive really.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 05:03 (Ref:2657608)   #17
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 41 year old driver - the oldest by far - missing from most of the testing and familiarity with the bulk of improvements over the course of the last 3 full race seasons, and who has had minimal time to get familiar with the new car due to new testing regulations, coming back from a very serious neck injury, and achieving yet again a level of fitness no other driver in the field could probably match ... and he got 6th in his first race, beating 75% of the field.

It's not too much for MS to get worried about - as a matter of fact, there's far more positives to be gleaned from it, knowing he can only get better as he gets more miles in the car under his belt.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2657864)   #18
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS had no experience whatsoever in that track and he certainly did not disgrace himself. 6th place is not bad for a return after so many years off. However, age is age and Nico is one of the truly quick drivers in the series; although over the length of a race, he has seemed to struggle to match his pace in practice and qualifying. I expect the final tallies to be a lot closer. We are matching Nico's youth, pace and hunger for victories against Michael racecraft and experience..... it will be close, at least this year.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2657964)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Schumacher won the very first race at that track in 2004 and drove three races there, as well as pre-season testing in 2006.

New layout of course, but it was for all.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2658066)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk View Post
, and achieving yet again a level of fitness no other driver in the field could probably match
I doubt he's anywhere near the fittest guy out there anymore!
Old 23 Mar 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2658333)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I doubt he's anywhere near the fittest guy out there anymore!

I am not so sure about that, Michael is a lateral thinker he knows what it takes to win big..If you listen to his interviews they are the most informative because his brain works in what is happening rather than what he would like to be happening..

I will bet you one thing if anyone at Mercedes Grand Prix is burning the midnight oil to sort out what is wrong Michael will be right there, he is a troop leader, a four star general, not an innocent bystander...
Old 23 Mar 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2658912)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
If Nico gets the better of Michael over the course of the season and maybe into next season, do we see Michael seeing out his 3 year contract?
I think there is almost no chance at all of him sticking around for three years if he's beaten by his team-mate over the course of this season. Presumably his contract has various get-out clauses in it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk away at the end of the season if he's beaten by Rosberg, and particularly if they're not able to compete for the title. I mean, the guy always worked hard - you can't win 7 world titles without working hard - but I can't see him wanting to drag his car to the front the way he did at Ferrari in the mid-90s.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 23 Mar 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2658944)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Getting out of his contract long before it runs out would tarnish his reputation alot more than if he was just beaten by Nico, tbh.
I don't think he would just walk out like that.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 06:17 (Ref:2659043)   #24
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
That's what PR people are for - they'll think of 'plausable' explanation.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2659345)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I am not so sure about that, Michael is a lateral thinker he knows what it takes to win big..If you listen to his interviews they are the most informative because his brain works in what is happening rather than what he would like to be happening..

I will bet you one thing if anyone at Mercedes Grand Prix is burning the midnight oil to sort out what is wrong Michael will be right there, he is a troop leader, a four star general, not an innocent bystander...
I have no doubt your right mate, but i was commenting on his fitness, which he undoubtedly is totally fit, but i doubt, as sweetchuk reckon's, that Michael is now the fittest, or indeed, at a level that the others can't match.

I'd find it unbelieveable that a 41 year old was out and out fitter than say, a 24 year old!