Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Jul 2000, 15:26 (Ref:27248)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think Rover have probably got more pressing priorities for the cash, however here's an article from the Autosport site:

"According to paddock rumours Rover is set to join the BTCC fray with a car built by Lola Cars in next year’s new-look British Touring Car Championship.

The revived British car maker is said to want to field its 45 model in 2001 with Lola building the car as the Huntingdon-based constructor is part of the Phoenix Consortium which bought Rover from BMW earlier this year.

“There is lots of speculation surrounding Rover and motorsport and there are a number of opportunities open to us,” said a Rover spokesman. “There are many possibilities in the wide spectrum of motorsport and there is every chance of us doing one of these exciting possibilites. At the moment we are enjoying the excitement of choice.” No comment was available from Lola.

It is still unclear how many manufacturers want to be involved in the 2001 BTCC, though several are believed to be considering their options. Vauxhall has already announced plans to compete, while its current rivals Honda and Ford have yet to commit to a definite programme.

William de Braekeleer, motorsport boss at Honda Motor Europe commented: "I think the new rules are a good way forward, but the decision is not taken yet. We are having discussions with Honda UK, as they would be more involved in any future programme."

Ford is believed to have lobbied for a slight reduction in the minimum length requirement for 2001 (From 4.2metres to 4.1metres) which would allow its Focus to compete, but its spokesman said: "We haven't decided yet."

Potential series returnees, apart from Rover include Peugeot and Alfa Romeo. Peugeot motorsport manager Mick Linford says that he has already put a proposal to his board for a 2001 BTCC programme. If a budget for that is signed off he would aim to run a two-car works challenge and build a further two cars to sell as a basis for a junior or supported team.

Former BTCC racer Gary Ayles, whose team is running two Alfa 156s in the National Saloon Championship this year is working hard to put together an Alfa BTCC programme for 2001, using either the 156, or the new 147.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 17:19 (Ref:27282)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out with 'Shorties'!!

I knew it! I said ages ago that I thought Focus-sized hatches would be too short. Touring Car entries should consist solely of 4 door SALOONS! Stick to the regs BMP; You know it makes sense! Consistant rules will mean more manufacturer participation in the long run.

As for Rover, I hope they do jump in - with both feet. Wasn't the last Rover Touring car the SD1? What a sight that Lola 45 would be.

Old 1 Aug 2000, 07:05 (Ref:27433)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If any car maker desperately needs an image makeover its Rover.

Volvo transformed their image (and sales) over night when they entered the BTCC with the 850 estate.

I don't agree about spending priorities. The main priority for Rover is to lift their brand from an 'old mans' car to a more cutting edge, trendy, image. The BTCC would be a very good and overall fairly effective way of doing that.

Rover spent £45 million on marketing last year and had thousands of cars sitting in fields as a result....

I reckon the BTCC would work out good value and would achieve more than those 'posey' ad's we all saw on TV.
Old 1 Aug 2000, 18:56 (Ref:27614)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sparky wrote:

>I knew it! I said ages ago that I thought Focus-sized >hatches would be too short. Touring Car entries should >consist solely of 4 door SALOONS! Stick to the regs BMP;
>You know it makes sense!
>
YES!! YES!!! I have found my ST soulmate!!! KEEP ST for SEDANS!!! Sparky and other like minded fans, we should email BMP and petition them!!

>Consistant rules will mean more manufacturer participation >in the long run.
>
I agree!!! However, I think BMP caved into the demands that manufacturers wanted to basically drive their rally cars off the tarmac and onto a road course!! I guess this cuts a lot of costs!!

>As for Rover, I hope they do jump in - with both feet. >Wasn't the last Rover Touring car the SD1? What a sight >that Lola 45 would be.
>
It was a Group A or Class 2 car? Back in '90? I thought I saw one for sale? The last Rover touring sedan ever built?

Old 2 Aug 2000, 01:27 (Ref:27702)   #5
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Sparky and other like minded fans, we should email BMP and petition them!!"
Just tell me where, Mr. Chow, and consider it done.

I must say I really have no clue which specs are what(Superstars, Supertouring, NSC, BMP, DTM, :confused: cause the only one I get to even see on tv here in the states is supertouring). Don't get much info on it here (just from these posts, Redshoes, and the occasionaly mention on the SV broadcasts which are 1 motnh late), but all I know is I don't want to see a hatchback or coupe in a touring cars series. Which is why the touirng car division SCCA's Speedvision World Challenge is so dissappointing, with the lousy Acura(Honda) Integras just mucking about the whole idea of a touring class.
Old 2 Aug 2000, 16:00 (Ref:27842)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heeltoe6 wrote:

>I must say I really have no clue which specs are what>(Superstars, Supertouring, NSC, BMP, DTM, cause the only >one I get to even see on tv here in the states is >supertouring).
>
Hey, we should be glad we even get ST. Not everybody can even get that!!

>Don't get much info on it here (just from these posts, >Redshoes, and the occasionaly mention on the SV broadcasts >which are 1 motnh late),
>
I followed ST and BTCC on the net for 2 years before our local tv station picked up Speedvision so I know how sad things can get!!

>Which is why the touirng car division SCCA's Speedvision >World Challenge is so dissappointing, with the lousy Acura
>(Honda) Integras just mucking about the whole idea of a >touring class.
>
To be fair, let's not say eliminate coupes from racing. Rather, it would be nice to see an all sedan race series which would really be different. Actually, between 20-40% of the cars racing in the Speedvision WC are sedans. You are guranteed at least 6 sedans per a round. That's why I suggested that Speedvision start a sedan division/class, but unfortunately, the SCCA wasn't too keen on it. They wouldn't even accept the separate class to exist solely on points. IE: They still race together with the other touring car class cas.

Old 2 Aug 2000, 17:16 (Ref:27859)   #7
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not against coupes at all, love the Speedvision WC GT division cause it's designed for the more coupe/sports car(except for the A6 that sneaks it's way in there), but just seems weird to see the Integra in a touring race. Which is why I can't really get excited about BTCC's class B either.
Old 2 Aug 2000, 17:21 (Ref:27864)   #8
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suggested that Rover might enter the new BTCC recently and was shot down in flames - much as I might have been if someone had suggested that Volvo would enter an 850 estate way back when... Let's face it, Rover have a horriffic image problem - they badly need to change that. What better way to appeal to race fans ? And, once race fans start buying them, rather than BMW or Audi, the word will start to spread. Who'd have thought that Volvo would have totally turned their old image on it's head ?
Old 2 Aug 2000, 17:47 (Ref:27869)   #9
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've thought for a long time now that Rover would make a serious motorsport effort, and when BMW bought them I was just waiting to see the 400 ST in 2000.

No jokes or taking the p**s intended here, but I actually think that a Saloon 45 would look pretty mint in a ST or SP+ makeover.

I wouldn't think the 25 is long enough, but I can see BMP making an exception to the Focii squadies, the might of Ford is to great to loose, I believe.

I too don't want to see Hatches or Coupes racing against sedans etc., but if it bolsters the dying and depressing grids I just don't care. Anyway after going to see some NSC races, (With the extreamly large crowds at Donington) I quite like the vareity.

Vauxhall have already committed to next year with the Coupe and perhaps more coupe's, hatches and Saloons are coming soon, I hope so.

Role on next year!
Old 2 Aug 2000, 18:46 (Ref:27881)   #10
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie_harasym
I wouldn't think the 25 is long enough, but I can see BMP making an exception to the Focii squadies, the might of Ford is to great to loose, I believe.
... and they will change the rules, just to suit Ford. Mind you, it is, I guess, a logical thing to do. Look at the DTM and the Abt Audi TTs. They were allowed in and - once they get their act together - everyone will be rather pleased. Keeping Ford in the BTCC, a manufacturer which has been there basically the whole way through, is critical.

Quote:
I too don't want to see Hatches or Coupes racing against sedans etc., but if it bolsters the dying and depressing grids I just don't care. Anyway after going to see some NSC races, (With the extreamly large crowds at Donington) I quite like the vareity.
After having seen the NSC racing as part of the PowerTour, I must say that having many varied cars can add to the overall spectacle. My only quibble is that hatches like the 306 or Focus would look ridiculous with wings and things...

Quote:
Vauxhall have already committed to next year with the Coupe and perhaps more coupe's, hatches and Saloons are coming soon, I hope so.
As I said before, just look at the cars that comprise the DTM field. They're all coupes and all stunners...
Old 2 Aug 2000, 20:43 (Ref:27896)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rover, who will shortly become Lola / MG, are already committed to next years Le Mans.. And are no longer aiming at large scale markets... so will never enter touring cars..

Nuff said..

(Prepared to eat words..)
Old 3 Aug 2000, 07:11 (Ref:27999)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't agree with you on this one Dan. It will cost as much to do Le Mans properly as it will to do the BTCC.

I can't see the point of Rover shutting itself into a niche market as a car maker. The coupe/small convertible market is overcrowded as it is. I can't see Rover competing with Peugeot,Toyota and VW's latest offerings.

The 75, 45 and 25 development costs and tooling are all paid for (by BMW), it now needs the right market placement and image to reap the benefit.

As I said before Rover spent £45 million on marketing last year to achieve ...nothing...If a BTCC campaign cost less than 10% of that it would be a bargain for Rover...

If they do any motorsport at all - it will be the BTCC

(also prepared to eat my words !)
Old 3 Aug 2000, 09:34 (Ref:28014)   #13
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you both might be right, perhaps you could share each others words?
Old 3 Aug 2000, 12:14 (Ref:28039)   #14
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
£45 million?! Would Rover have even sold that many cars in the last decade? Obviously they need to do some -- ah -- image enhancement and, as Volvo richly discovered, going racing is about the best thing a car manufacturer can do.

Get a good team together and with the new, low-cost rules, you'd be a lot better off than just throwing what (supposedly) little money you have at an advertising agency...

There's actually picutures in today's Autosport of what a 45 Touring Car might look like. Not bad at all...
Old 3 Aug 2000, 12:19 (Ref:28042)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read Autosport... looks like I may be completely wrong then..

But I do know that Lola / MG are committed to Le Mans, so will they have enough money to do it all..
Old 3 Aug 2000, 19:54 (Ref:28118)   #16
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Danielsun

After having seen the NSC racing as part of the PowerTour, I must say that having many varied cars can add to the overall spectacle. My only quibble is that hatches like the 306 or Focus would look ridiculous with wings and things...

Are you jokeing, the WRC cars look pretty good don't they, evan this years watered down Focus still looks good.

Old 3 Aug 2000, 21:21 (Ref:28150)   #17
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Rally car wings dwarf those of Touring Cars... It comes down to whether they'd be allowed to run with similar-placed wings to the WRCar...