Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 May 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1306402)   #1
Mike Dodman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Mike Dodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Tortoise and the Hare"

Does anyone else remember a "promotional" film made by Pirelli (I think) which did the rounds of the motor club clubnights back in the late 60's/early 70's.
Brief scenario - bloke and his girl drive thro' Italy in an "E" type (the hare) stopping at scenic places whilst a big artic (the tortoise) just trundles on, overtaking them and then being overtaken again.
From memory, the word "Pirelli" didn't appear until the very end of the film.
Qustion - does the film exist still? It must have made a big imression on me to be remembered still - I'd love to watch it again. Glorious soundtrack of E type engine if I remember rightly.
(I contacted Pirelli but never even got a reply - probably no-one there old enough to remember it!!)
Old 13 Feb 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3204006)   #2
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The truck in the movie had "Pirelli" on the side. The actress in the E-Type was Liz Allsopp, while the photography was done by Wolfgang Suschitzky

The film was nominated for a 1966 British Film Academy Award in the 'best short film' category. The film was produced for Pirelli by Cammell Hudson Brownjohn Associates (Hugh Hudson was the director), and ran for 37 minutes.

The film is available in four parts on Youtube.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3204067)   #3
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Spencer Davies "keep on Running" was music for it
Old 14 Feb 2013, 07:22 (Ref:3204414)   #4
Mike Dodman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Mike Dodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Graham.
Mike
Old 16 Feb 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3205810)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A great track that, and Winwood - what a talent - and still playing.

Nearly 8 years to get an answer, Mike. Wonder if that's a record on here!

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Feb 2013 at 10:20. Reason: Glaring spelling mistake; why did no-one spot it?!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3206075)   #6
beacon43
Rookie

beacon43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ex Pirelli employee

Hi

I worked in the Technical Dept of P at the time. We all got to watch it, and later I went to San Gimignano which features on it. I have a dvd copy of it but it is a copy of a copy.

Incidentally I also have a copy of the opening of the Pirelli factory in Burton in 1928 by the soon to be Edward VIII. It also shows some parts of tyre manufacture. H&S inspectors should not watch it!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3206134)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacon43 View Post

Incidentally I also have a copy of the opening of the Pirelli factory in Burton in 1928 by the soon to be Edward VIII. It also shows some parts of tyre manufacture. H&S inspectors should not watch it!
I expect the plant assembly line was sold to India and still used today
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Feb 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3206179)   #8
beacon43
Rookie

beacon43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pirelli

maybe just parts of it are still used today!! Probably very unfair but for sure they were there in the 60s
Old 19 Feb 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3207121)   #9
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We used to have film nights at our school motor racing club (yes, really!) & the Pirelli film was one that we borrowed. I still possess a promotional map that came with it - a map showing the route taken on one side & stills from the film on the other.

A prized memory of a film that left a lasting impression!
Old 19 Feb 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3207363)   #10
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the film at school.