Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 2 Apr 2001, 14:16 (Ref:76558)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the latest issue of Motorcycle Racer magazine, current WSBK champ Colin Edwards speaks of his off-season time back in the US. He had chats with old friends Mat Mladin and Scott Russell. He said that many have asked him why Mat Mladin was staying in the US to defend his AMA title instead of pursuing a WSBK ride and contending for world honors. He commented that Mladin is enjoying his time in the US and is making more money than he would in WSBK. He also said that Scott Russell's deal with Ducati is paying better than his current job defending the WSBK crown for factory juggernaut Honda. I am frankly amazed at this. Surely a top factory ride in a global championship is much more lucrative than national level seat? Surely its a better deal than Russell's deal with Ducati. The guy is usually only a threat to win at Daytona. He's been too flighty to actually pursue a title.

No wonder the fields of bikes at an AMA event are so large. obviously, based on population alone, the US is a massive market for motorcycle sales, but surely the world is a larger sales market. Does anyone know how some of the other high profile national series pay? Does British SBK pay beter than WSBK? Does the Aussie series? Does the Canadian series?
Old 2 Apr 2001, 14:30 (Ref:76563)   #2
Lazy Boy
Rookie

Lazy Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very little to add except that... when Colin Edwards heard how much Nicky Hayden signed for with Honda a year ago...

He about had a FIT.

I might have this wrong... But I think it was $2 million for 3 years (Hayden with Honda).

Scott Russell's old Harley contract was supposedly pretty big also.
Old 3 Apr 2001, 03:18 (Ref:76840)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
america is bigger than the WORLD - 47.50 cents, what a load of crud!......would love to see ama superbike on tv with the likes of mladin, gobert, hayden, e bostrom, roberts, duhamel etc.....no talk of russell, he was over with when he signed with harley 3 years ago, dont know why ducati signed him!
Old 3 Apr 2001, 13:06 (Ref:76928)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ducati signed Russell because he is a demon at Daytona. They have never won the classic event and are desperate to do so.

As far as AMA vs WSBK, they do not ride the same spec bikes. AMA Superbike has a claim rule to help contain costs. Any bike on the grid can be purchased by anyone with $30,000 (I beleive) after the race. this does contain some of the costs. During the race that AMA shares with WSBK at Laguna Seca that rule is relaxed.
Old 3 Apr 2001, 16:15 (Ref:76959)   #5
Lazy Boy
Rookie

Hey gomick... sour grapes will make yer face pucker !!
.............. ................
Old 3 Apr 2001, 17:50 (Ref:76988)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You guys seem to gorget that when Edwards signed with Yamaha all those years ago he was given a multi million dollar contract to stay with them for so long.
Also, the reason why AMA is not popular with riders despite the money is that the tracks are bloody death traps and the organisers don't do annything about it. They offer big money coz the importers have sod all else to spend it on.
People forget that Mladin was utter ****e on the Cagiva, so was Mike Hale over here, Duhamel was slower than Mackenzie in 500's, Chandler was good for a bit. Anybody any good stays away until they retire like Russell who is one of the most talented riders the US has produced by the way. T win a title on a 4 cylinder against the twins in 93 was awesome, I saw him at Donington and have to say I have never been som impressed by a ride in my life.
Harley was a payoff, he is taking the mickey out of the Yanks in fine style!!
Old 3 Apr 2001, 21:39 (Ref:77079)   #7
WheelMan
Rookie

WheelMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Edwards is getting paid less than Hayden and Mladin, then he is getting paid what he is worth.
He has the best bike in WSB, but is he the best rider?
Old 4 Apr 2001, 02:44 (Ref:77159)   #8
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that pass on ben bostrom in race 2 was the move of a world champion, but is he the best rider is a tough one to answer.......mladin finished 13th (1993) on the cagiva as a 20 year old in his first season on tracks he had never seen before - its not as if cagiva were dominating the japanese manufacturers, although little johnny did come 3rd in the 94 world title on that bike, i dont think mladin would have been near that had he stayed, but a top 10 position wasnt out of the question.
Old 4 Apr 2001, 02:52 (Ref:77160)   #9
Lazy Boy
Rookie

More sour grapes by ... chunder...

Wassamatter with a few bumps on the track ??

Shoot... I thought all you guys thought riding right at stone walls with curbs and posts and whatnot was what the STUDLY guys did?.......... .............

I wish the tracks were better too.

Tell me something... Are the tracks in the rest of the world privately owned?.... Or are some of them Gov. owned?

I believe that with the exception of a few tracks here... the only thing wrong with most of them is old bumpy pavement... And the owners don't make enough money(?) to afford our expensive repaving costs.

Good news... Three new professional caliber tracks built (or building)... One in Virginia.. One in Pennsylvania... One in Alabama.
Old 4 Apr 2001, 10:33 (Ref:77205)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Edwards is good, but these guys are not up to GP standard. None of them, anywhere, either in the US or the World Series. The bikes are just easier to ride so the standard is lower. Of interest is the domination of Aussies, Brits (OK one Brit) and Yanks in the World Series while the Europeans seem to do better results wise in the GP's (Doohan excepted).
Old 4 Apr 2001, 20:14 (Ref:77436)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mate, riding rounf a track with walls is fine but that us called a road course, the riders know what they are entering when they enter.
I have seen some of the AMA tracks and they make Laguna look like a padded cell.
Why do you think Slight packed in. He is not exactly soft is he!