Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2760532)   #1
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rebuilding my old Kart

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice. I'v recently been offered my old Kart back f.o.c. Only problem is it's been stripped down and is not complete, as I had it from new sentimental reasons mean I would like to get it back up and running.
The Chassis is a '91 SOLO and engine is a TKM L90. can I still get parts that would fit, or would modern parts adapt?
Things like the brakes, bearings, stub axles etc. Als engine needs a re-build are parts still available for 100cc engines?
Cheers.

Last edited by ghinzani; 17 Sep 2010 at 19:34.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2760552)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
best place to ask is on the karting.co.uk forum....but yes the tkm 100cc engine is still used and parts should be available. in terms of hubs, brakes etc....very little has changed in tkm until this year with chassis rules so you shoule be able to find parts that fit.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2760557)   #3
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dartford karting used to be the people for SOLO karts so I'm sure they could help.
I think they're called Kartstore or something like that now.

You could try sending a pm to davyboy who posts on here. He is quite knowledgable about the UK retro karting scene and can probably point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 16 Sep 2010 at 19:56.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2760617)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and make sure you post a pic here when you get it completed , would love to see how it turns out
Old 17 Sep 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2760722)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Peter said, Dartford Karting [kartstore.co.uk] produced the Solo Karts and engines back in the day but they don't produce either now. Bespoke parts for the Solo [e.g. front bumpers, stub axles, floor trays] will be difficult to find, but most of the rest of the items are fairly generic and so long as you have the dimensions, you should be OK. The best bit of advice I could give regarding the kart is to determine what's missing BEFORE you embark on restoring it. If it is something like a stub axle, you may need to have one manufactured and by one of the current frame builders if you can't source a donor kart on eBay. Otherwise it would be simpler, cheaper and better to pick up a complete kart on eBay that needed some tidying.

Bear in mind too that the cut-off for historic karting is 1982 and while your engine falls within that time frame, the chassis doesn't so you wouldn't be able to race it on the historic scene... another reason to think carefully before spending a lot of money getting the kart restored.

The TKM L90 is less of a problem. Coincidentally, Dartford Karting do carry a vast array of 100cc engine spares including pistons, conrods etc... Again, before you start, make sure that the big things are OK - i.e. there are no chips off the liner, the crank is complete, any damage to the inside of the head and crankcase isn't too bad. By the way, does your L90 still have a full complement of fins on the cylinder head ? That would be be pretty rare. I've an L90 myself and had several brand new back in the day. Oh also, TKM themselves are alive and kicking... feel free to drop Alan Turney a mail and he'll probably get back to you [PM me and I'll give you his address].

A few other resources that will be useful to you :

www.britishhistorickartclub.com - the best place to ask questions and get help on restoring historic karts.

www.karting.co.uk - the UK's biggest karting forum where there are three of four guys who really know their stuff about old skool karting.

Hope this helps.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2760961)   #6
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
Cheers for the help, I am not interested in racing so not too bothered about eligibility. I just like to go on practice days although Buckmore is now out of the question I believe Tilbury is still operative? I think most of it is all there certainly bumpers, undertray, etc.
R.e the engine fins they ended up at the 1st corner at Tilbury.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2760967)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stuart, there aren't a lot of places that allow 100cc karts these days, even in testing. Tilbury is still operative but don't allow 100cc karts either. Its to do with noise Rye House does though.

Make sure you have both the stub axles... the right ones can be difficult to source as they vary between chassis manufacturer and also between chassis model. Solo's don't come up on eBay a lot either.

An L90 with fins is as rare as rocking horse **** ha ha ha. Mine's bereft of them too
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2760988)   #8
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
I'v still got the ones that fell off though,is there a special glue that sticks them back on lol. Didn't know that Tilbury didn't allow 100cc no more. I thought anything went there.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2761001)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real shame is the classic series dont seem to be interested in bring their eligibility dates forward, so theres a gap between karts from 1982 and up until 2002/3 when the MSA changed a lot of rules about pods bars etc where theres karts out there that can only be used for testing or sometimes in non-MSA (although that generally invalidates their insurance, although they wont tell you that!). As Marcus says lets see some before and after pics! We like sentimental!
Old 18 Sep 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2761183)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
I'v still got the ones that fell off though,is there a special glue that sticks them back on lol. Didn't know that Tilbury didn't allow 100cc no more. I thought anything went there.
Any good glue will work. You just need to snif it and then you'll see that all the fins are back in place Seriously though, if you have the fins and you're adventurous enough, you can ally weld them back on.

Tilbury used to get all sorts... not just karts but drivers too. I've seen monumental accidents with people landing in the 'paddock', fights... the whole nine yards. With 'Happy Jim' running the place, it certainly has character. Unfortunately the noise nazis got their way about the 100cc karts... more's the pity.

As Steve [ghinzani] says, your kart is in a window where its ineligible for racing. Their cut off is slightly silly and I've had the debate with them plenty of times about running a class for post 1982 rigs but they won't have it. Its not all bad though. It means that anything on eBay etc... will be much cheaper.

Oh another thing for 100cc fans... 100cc fanatic Alan Dove has managed to organize the first MSA event for 100cc karts for some time to be held in Rye House on 7th November. Hope the weather's good for it. I'm heading there to wallow in the glorious sound of proper racing karts. Should be brilliant.

Proper Karting Website
Old 18 Sep 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2761273)   #11
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
Ah I love happy Jim and his lawn mower. The horse ****e certainly added to the character.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2761864)   #12
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be rebuilding a complete 1976 Barlotti with Villiers 11E engine (might be a 210cc yet) in October as a winter project.

Finding parts for them is really hard. They exist but on people's shelves/sheds and few visit ebay let alone other sites, so you never get to them.

I bought a rough one for restoration, quickly realised too many parts were missing that i would never find, and bought a runner to restore. Glad i did.

Spend a lot of time on the internet before you start.

Graham.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2762208)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
I will be rebuilding a complete 1976 Barlotti with Villiers 11E engine (might be a 210cc yet) in October as a winter project.

Finding parts for them is really hard. They exist but on people's shelves/sheds and few visit ebay let alone other sites, so you never get to them.

I bought a rough one for restoration, quickly realised too many parts were missing that i would never find, and bought a runner to restore. Glad i did.

Spend a lot of time on the internet before you start.

Graham.
Sage words Graham, good luck and lets see some pics of yours before and after!
Old 21 Sep 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2762607)   #14
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Barlotti as it sits in the shed today.
Restoration starts late October when i finish hillclimbing the Lola!

http://i51.tinypic.com/ypl5l.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/e6zo5u.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2gwhtsz.jpg
Old 21 Sep 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2762608)   #15
911thillclimber
Veteran

Forgot to do the pics right...]
Old 21 Sep 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2762712)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
My Barlotti as it sits in the shed today.
Restoration starts late October when i finish hillclimbing the Lola!

http://i51.tinypic.com/ypl5l.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/e6zo5u.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2gwhtsz.jpg
Looks to be pretty clean from these photos... hopefully there aren't any nasty cracks etc... when you strip the paint off. Are you rebuilding the Villiers as well ?
Old 21 Sep 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2762728)   #17
911thillclimber
Veteran

Everything is coated in gold Hammerite and there is a little 'modification' evidence, but cosmetic.
It wil all come apart inc the 11E and box that run.
It has a nice period Mikuni carb, the right exhaust and most importantly a full set of working Appleby calipers.

The cast mag wheels are Zip but i have a set of spun split rims for it off another kart
It is very simple compared to what I am used to so it will be very relaxing to do.

This is the other passion, often refered to as a Big Kart without it's body:

http://i56.tinypic.com/icn5z6.jpg

The Villiers sounds great and looks nice, but i think it might be a 210cc and tweeked. It has all its 4 speeds.
The fuel tank is off a Deavison, the tillott seat has to go for a real one and the checkered Aluminium floor will be skipped for a 'glass one.

http://i56.tinypic.com/15vko7.jpg

This was the first Barlotti i bought about 2 weeks before the gold kart. It is earlier but clearly missing a few bits...
You can now appreciate the ammount of work and money and frustration tracking down the parts needed, esp the brakes and a good engine/box.

http://i55.tinypic.com/1tqvd1.jpg
Old 22 Sep 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2762899)   #18
davyboy
Veteran

Seeing that first one, you were absolutely right to get a better one for the project. It does look very clean alright, it should be a straightforward resto. The Villers bits aren't as difficult to come by as there's still a series for them today. Are you planning to bring it along to the historic events next year ?

I'm a 100cc man myself, an I've a lovely 1984 Deavinson Sprint that looks like its never been run at all in its life. It has all the original bits with the exception of the plastic clear floor mounted fuel tank. I've not started on restoring it yet and there's no real urgency on it either as they won't allow it to race in the historic series. When it is, I'll get it ready... and rebuild some of the 10 Parilla TT27s !

The Lola's lovely alright, is that a Porsche motor you've got in the back of it ?
Old 22 Sep 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2763213)   #19
911thillclimber
Veteran

I've hillclimbed for 20 years in 911/Impreza and now the Lola.
It is a flat 6 Porsche, all 3200cc of it. The car weighs just 518 Kg and 260 bhp/240 lbft.
Bloody hard to drive!(fast)
It is 'all-my-own-work' and originally had a Ford Pinto in the middle.

It needs a refresh on the gearbox, but the rest is ok. This means a 'vacant' time in the winter garage, hence the Barlotti.

My plan is to do the restoration and show/demo it in the excellent Historic Karts lot at Strubby/Rissy and Silverstone (etc) inbetween the hillclimbs next year.
I love the look of the karts and wanted a new 'mini-challenge' after the huge work in doing the Lola over the last 24 months.

The Lola has a real 'outlaw' history and it is great; the Barlotti fits into the winter plan perfectly.

Promised the wife i would not start the Kart till late October as some windows need painting and a few other Brownie Points are needed to get me through the winter.....

As you can tell, I am the typical petrol head in charge of the household.

Old 23 Sep 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2763374)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

I see you're in the West Midlands there. I don't know if you know ex-Thundersaloons and Hot Rodder John Edwards ? He bought my 1969 Zip Californian and a few Komet K77s a couple of years back and did a beautiful job on restoring them. He also has a gorgeous Superkart and that's won concours prizes at some of the historic events. He hangs out with Geoff Maddox now as part of this motley crew Team Amigo. Might be worth hooking up with them if you don't know them already... give the wife even more grief.

The Lola's a lovely car, a great project. I build a spaceframed GT car back in the 1980s myself. It broke me in every way and can only imagine how much work went into yours. After that experience I returned to karts and have been there ever since. This year is my 27th racing karts (!)
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:40 (Ref:2763483)   #21
911thillclimber
Veteran

I don't know either of those Gentlemen, but interesting in that my Lola was once a Thundersaloon Skoda in 1983 ish was decimated in a wet crash at Llyden Hill and re - tubbed with the car i now have initially as a thunder saloon again but with a pink painted Karmann Ghia coupe body!

It's history is more chequered than that after....

The time spent has been huge.
The money spent huge
Wife likes cars!

I hope to do the kart for a total of a £1000 or the price for the Lola's slicks.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2781343)   #22
911thillclimber
Veteran

It's out of the shed and in the garage alongside the disassembled Lola.
Is anyone interested in me doing a restoration thread?

http://i55.tinypic.com/2nav5hy.jpg
Old 27 Oct 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2781407)   #23
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I know naff-all about karts so yes please...
Old 28 Oct 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2781521)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:

Ya why not... it would be really nice if you could include details [names/contacts etc...] of where you got things done too e.g. rechroming, liner sourcing etc... Its all helpful to anyone doing a kart restoration and if there are bits we can chip in on and help too, all the better.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2781594)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah that sounds a good idea, echo Davy comments plus also you might let us know who in the way of people you need to speak to when you want to get on the track, ie the organisers of the races/demos it can run in. Thanks