Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Aug 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3565980)   #1
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Pie Lady - Shelagh Scott

It is with great sadness that I have been informed that Shelagh Scott has passed away.

Shelagh was a long time devotee of the BMMC North Region and spent many days on the bank as a gifted flagger. As illness came along she continued to support our club - attending our AGM / Hotpot Supper and supplying a number of the prizes for the raffle

As Shelagh's husband says 'At least she is now free of all the pain and troubles which she has bravely endured in the past'
Our thoughts are with Bill, Magdalene and the rest of the family - from your orange colleagues #RIPShelaghScott

Please post your thoughts and memories of Shelagh on this thread I will pass them on to the family
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:08 (Ref:3565981)   #2
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Tragic news and very sad. My sympathies go out to Bill and the rest of the family.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3565984)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tata, Shelagh. Your nuggets of training day wisdom will live long in my brain.

Condolences to Bill, family and friends.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:30 (Ref:3565985)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's very sad. Having seen her several times during her recent treatment, the humour and stoicism with which she faced the challenges thrust upon her was an inspiration, matched by her posting on here. But that came as no surprise as that's the sort of person she always was. I shall miss her dearly.

To Bill, sincerest condolences at this very sad time. You were her rock and her soulmate. I can't imagine the loss you're feeling.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3565986)   #5
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sorry to hear that. No matter what she was going through, Shelagh's posts on here were always positive, life-enhancing and brightened my day.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:37 (Ref:3565988)   #6
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Condolences to all the family, especially Bill, she will be missed.

But don't care.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:38 (Ref:3565989)   #7
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news of a truly remarkable lady. Her bravery and wonderful sense of humour have been a true inspiration to all who knew her. RIP Shelagh, and many condolences go to Bill, You are in my thoughts, and all of us who have the privilege of knowing you both. x
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:38 (Ref:3565990)   #8
tonyC
Rookie

tonyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news. On behalf of everyone in the BRSCC Midland Centre We would pass on our condolences to Bill and the family.

Even when poorly, Shelagh would turn up at race meetings willing to help wherever she could. She will be sadly missed
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3565995)   #9
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While our paths never crossed I have followed Shelagh's battle through her posts on here and it is sad to hear the news.

From her posts regarding her ongoing fight it is clear that she was a remarkable person.

I'll wave my flags this weekend with an additional flourish in her memory.

My thoughts are with her family and friends.

Dave Eley
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3565997)   #10
colincragg
Rookie

England
Melton Mowbray
colincragg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very sad news. I have known both Shelagh and Bill for more years than I can remember. She was always very positive and joyful all through her illness whenever I saw her and Bill. She will be very much missed. I knew both her and Bill as friends and both were very good flag marshals till they had to stop due to her illness. RIP Shelagh no more pain and suffering and my sincere condolences to Bill and the rest of the family.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3565998)   #11
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
icorper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I didn't know Shelagh personally I have followed her posts and her positivity through such adversity is something I can only aspire to.

My thoughts are with the loved ones she has left behind, sad to think such a bright light has gone out.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3565999)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Amongst several pearls of wisdom, this one always lurks in my head when I'm flagging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh, at a training day some years ago
If you get to the end of a day on flags and you haven't chucked (or thought about chucking) the blue flag on the floor in disgust at getting it wrong, you're simply not trying hard enough!
Absolutely right. I shall keep chucking them on the floor, too!
Old 14 Aug 2015, 12:56 (Ref:3566002)   #13
colincragg
Rookie

England
Melton Mowbray
colincragg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very sad news. I have known both Bill and Shelagh for more years than I can remember. Shelagh was a remarkable lady always positive with a good sense of humour all through her illness whenever I saw both her and Bill. They were both friends and good flag marshals till they could no longer continue due to her illness. RIP Shelagh now free of pain and suffering and my sincere condolences to Bill and the rest of the family.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3566005)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Very sad news, condolences to family and friends.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3566010)   #15
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Always cheerful and positive even when there was no reason that I could see. Pain free now.

Love

Jim
Old 14 Aug 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3566011)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God Bless x
Old 14 Aug 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3566013)   #17
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Memories of Shelagh -

1. My first trip to Oulton and who should park behind me in her Nova mark 1, but the future Mrs Turnbull, only she didn't know that yet. It was the first time I met Shelagh, and she was just so helpful showing me where sign on was. If ever there was a classic example of a stranger being a friend you just haven't met yet, then this was it.

2. My second trip to marshal at Le Mans, when myself and twenty or so other marshals were gooseberries on one of Bill and Shelagh's first dates. Post 35bis was not the most salubrious of locations for a romantic break, but I got the impression that didn't matter.

3. Le Mans again, but 1997, working the lights at Post 70 with her for the first shift of the race, and then having to push Michel Ferte's Ferrari 333SP up the rise to get it off the track. Shelagh was worried that, given the location of the nearest TV camera, that a particular part of her anatomy would look big in the Radio Le Mans video. It didn't.

4. Asking for my autograph on the Monday morning after the 99 British GP, just because I was famous for the day because of being involved in the immediate aftermath of Mr Schumacher's accident at Stowe. I still have all the newspapers that had my ugly mug in them.

5. Her joy and happiness on her wedding day when becoming Mrs Turnbull a couple of years ago.

There are so many memories. Some people believe that your spirit's life is everlasting. It isn't but it does last as long as those that know and remember you are also around. Shelagh's spirit will be with us all for a very, very long time.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3566021)   #18
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very saddened to see that Sheila has passed away. She had been fighting for her health for a long period of time in such a positive manner, with regular updates on this forum. Perhaps she holds the world record for postings and replies on here! I marshalled with her on many occasions over the years, and regarded her as a very accomplished flaggie. My condolences go to Bill and family and friends.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3566024)   #19
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like many, I've read her posts on here about how she was dealing with her illness. What an inspiring and brave lady.

RIP Shelagh and my condolences to her family and many friends.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3566051)   #20
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry that I only met Shelagh a couple of times so like many knew her mainly through her cheerful and incredibly brave postings here.

Thoughts go out to her family and her many real friends. RIP Shelagh.

Steve
Old 14 Aug 2015, 18:20 (Ref:3566059)   #21
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pie Lady

Good night and God Bless
You will be missed by us all.
Thoughts and prayers to your family......
Mike & Brigette
Old 14 Aug 2015, 18:30 (Ref:3566062)   #22
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
She was everything that is good about marshals. We are all poorer today.
RIP.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 18:54 (Ref:3566065)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Such a sad loss. The way she bore, & even made light of, the terrible pain & suffering she went through is an inspiration to us all.

Gone but never forgotten.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3566078)   #24
Mark H
Rookie

Mark H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sorry to hear this. We both knew Shelagh and send our condolences to Bill and the family.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 07:25 (Ref:3566140)   #25
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Truly a special Lady. Will miss you Shelagh