Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1217374)   #1
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car Trailers

I was just wondering does anybody have any good advice on what trailer to buy. Will be used mainly for Mid size cars but it would be handy to be able to carry a bigger car if needed.Will get lots of abuse on our brutal pot hole filled roads.

Space not a huge problem but was looking for something easy to push by hand.

Also any advice on tilt bed or ramp and best optional extras to go for.

Last but not least that horrible value for money catagory
was looking at about £1500 plus the dreaded.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1217390)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd go for tilt bed if poss. I believe Brian James does a good one. However PRG are also very competitive.

I've had my B James trailer for about ten years now and it looks old but has always been very stable. I tow up to 1.5 tonnes on mine with no trouble.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1217415)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
For £1500 new, you will only get a tiltbed trailer that will carry about 1200kg max I have a BJ clubman which has been a good buy. It is very stable and tows well at speed.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1217422)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed.

Mine is an "A" and not tilt bed.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1217426)   #5
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
For £1500 new, you will only get a tiltbed trailer that will carry about 1200kg max .
I have the Brochure for Woodford and their entry level tilt bed at £1450 is 1950kg load or 2500kg gross weight

Last edited by Roundy Mooney; 4 Feb 2005 at 13:57.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1217428)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundy Mooney
I have the Brochure for Woodford and their entry level tilt bed at £1450 is 1950kg load or 2500kg gross weight
Bugger
Old 4 Feb 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1217446)   #7
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RM - plenty on eBay of differing sorts - for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...523485823&rd=1
Old 4 Feb 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1217456)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
if you're on a fixed budget I would go for heavy-duty ruggedness and sacrifice the tilt-bed. Seems to me that there's some new manufacturers around in recent years , providing much-needed competition to BJ and keeping prices down, but cannot comment on whether the quality is down too. I bought a BJ clubman non-tilt 4 years ago and it's been generally very good, tows within it's weight up to 80 and very stable. Only damage or obvious wear has been caused when I've lent it out, which I won't do any more.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1217467)   #9
larry1
Rookie

Ireland
larry1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Woodford trailers

Trevor Hamilton from JMC Rallysport team is the Irish agent for Woodford trailers.. he might do u a deal or have a 2nd hand option.. tel: 087 2555068 Tell him Larry sent u!
Old 9 Feb 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1220925)   #10
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi RM!

Sure you must see all the brian james trailers at monedello at every rallycross weekend!!! Highly Reccomended, stable at nearly any speed.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 9 Feb 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1221334)   #11
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive had my prg trailer for 5 years and it has performed very well.
Worth a look.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1221710)   #12
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I bought a PRG tilt bed trailer a few years ago. I looked at BJ but the main difference is the PRG is welded together where the BJ is bolted, which means they flex quite a bit. The PRG cost a little bit more but well worth it. I wouldn't bother with a s/h trailer as they depreciate so little that you might as well buy new. Don't lend it out and it will last for years.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1223330)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
This is a good thread for any racer so we'll move it to the racers forum.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1223523)   #14
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just bought an 18 month old BJ trailer for under a grand, it looks like new, If you found similar you could probably get a tilt bed within budget, BJ trailers seem to be the most common, tow well, and last
Old 12 Feb 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1223527)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Woodford are also good. They were the subcontractor to Brian James at one time.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1223985)   #16
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Bit obscure, but I bought my trailer from "Custom Trailers" of Harlow in Essex. They are more well known for catering trailers, but also import car trailers from Holland. I got a 2000kg gross trailer (not hydraulic) from them for just under £2k and it is built like the Forth Road Bridge. Made out of !/4" thick angle and fully dip galvenised, it make a BJ trailer look like a mechano kit. Well worth a look if you want it to last forever!
Old 14 Feb 2005, 10:30 (Ref:1224955)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I musy concur with other posts, the only damage ever sustained by my old trailer was when it was lent out . . . .
Old 14 Feb 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1224995)   #18
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I musy concur with other posts, the only damage ever sustained by my old trailer was when it was lent out . . . .
Never lent mine out, but I did manage to smash one of my tail clusters on the back wall of my garage oh, and the same thing on the tree outside my house oh, and again on a monster kerb in an M1 filling station

Maybe I should just forget about reversing
Old 14 Feb 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1225003)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's what light clusters are for. That's why the trailer people keep plenty in stock.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1225008)   #20
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Oh, I've never bought a new one.... that's what superglue is for
Old 14 Feb 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1225218)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ha ha . . .its funny that BJ put large steel enclosures round the lights now . . . . the first day I had a trailer I took a bleedin great chunk out of someone elses garage door !!! my lights where fine though
Old 14 Feb 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1225267)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
ha ha . . .its funny that BJ put large steel enclosures round the lights now . . . . the first day I had a trailer I took a bleedin great chunk out of someone elses garage door !!! my lights where fine though
Yep, and I still managed to crack one of my lenses when I was parking it once
Old 14 Feb 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1225472)   #23
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW, I would definately recommend the fitting of an anti-snake device. Once you've had a snake on, never again!!!
Old 14 Feb 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1225484)   #24
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
What's an anti-snake device ?
Old 14 Feb 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1225593)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It is a flat bar of steel with a friction joint, that bolts to the tow hitch, quite good actually if you are having problems, I remeber a mate of mine was towing once, got into a snake and endied up facing the wrong way on the motorway on the way down to Lydden, amazingly he never hit anything.