Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Jun 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3094775)   #2526
eizox
Rookie

England
Somerset, England
eizox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they didnt actually say it was a "2004 benneton car" for one, in 2004 benneton was Renault, the actual quote is "just 0.3 seconds off the lap record around the 3.27-mile Full Course set in a Benetton ex-F1 car in 2004."
Old 19 Jun 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3094779)   #2527
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^^ Yeah I just got that. So it could be the 1993 car that ran there in 2004. Sounds more believable now.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3094922)   #2528
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I doubt the Benneton was being driven to the limit. Even so, I also think that the HPD can get a good bit quicker on that track. I think a good, privateer LMP1 could get down into the 1:30s, and that one of the factory LMP1s could get down to something like the 1:27s at VIR. When you work it out for the whole lap, full throttle percentage for an LMP1 around the Full Course at VIR is probably about 65-70%.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3095148)   #2529
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was good to hear a super-excited Greg Pickett on RLM at the weekend pretty much confirming Muscle Milk would be putting in an entry for the 24 next year. Don't really understand why they didn't this year to be honest.

He almost sounded like he wanted to get back into the driver's seat too! Would be great to see them make the trip, but maybe that's a step too far!
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3095156)   #2530
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As for the 2014 talk, I do not think there will be a P1 class left in the series.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3095166)   #2531
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2014 would be a great time for ALMS to step away from ACO for a while and run a single P-class of any P2 or ballasted P1 from the past decade. If P2 isn't going to change until 2015, that would get a lot of cars on the grid, and really only Muscle Milk would be losing out.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 00:58 (Ref:3095229)   #2532
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I dont think that sounds fair ..... If you gain an entry with an illegal (ACO) car , you shoudnt be able to qualify for an invite .
Haven't FLM winners of the past gotten a Le Mans invite for LMP2 from their non-legal at Le Mans car in the LMS?
Old 20 Jun 2012, 04:43 (Ref:3095246)   #2533
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure about that but , they (ACO) said a few years ago , as long as Dyson raced with an illegal wing and previous years mods , they wernt eligable to score points towards a LM enrty .
Old 20 Jun 2012, 04:51 (Ref:3095248)   #2534
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Haven't FLM winners of the past gotten a Le Mans invite for LMP2 from their non-legal at Le Mans car in the LMS?
Yes they have, but so far nobody has taken up an entry on that invitation. Thierry Boutsen's team got the first one, but they didn't enter in LMP2 the next year (their car was entered by Oreca themselves), and last year Pegasus Racing got that invite, but they seem to have vanished from ACO-rules racing over the winter.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3095296)   #2535
Entr0py
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Shire
Entr0py should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://www.alms.com/articles/that%E2...uscle-milk-vir
Interesting report from the VIR test, Muscle Milk set a fastest lap just .3 seconds off the overall record set by an ex-Formula One car. Top speed of about 175 MPH (on the Full course)
I got that in my fb feed yesterday, looks incredibly fast, especially the back straight with 17 secs of full throttle, interesting track in terms of aero balance, there's not that many big stops or low speed corners. It reminds me of Road America in parts
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3095343)   #2536
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
So apparently Black Swan are done for the season.

I just read in another forum that Bleekemolen said during an interview at Le Mans that they are out of parts and won't do any more races this year.

Makes you wonder who's next. Good thing is not too many ALMS teams running Lola chassis this year. Dyson and Dempsey, that's it, right?
Old 20 Jun 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3095490)   #2537
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, Black Swan was supposed to switch to a 2012 car for Lime Rock, but they were basically out of parts for the 2011 car, especially after the Long Beach crash. The trouble for Dempsey is, he has to have a coupe for his insurance to clear him to run. Hopefully Dyson has spares enough, and if they use the 2011 car, maybe they can keep running a second at the sprint rounds, of which there are only four more.

I'm a bit surprised that Lola Group hasn't come in to pick up Lola Cars and Lola Composites. It occurs to me that, given all the parts the team had to make or modify for their hybridized coupes, maybe Dyson, or Dyson in conjunction with somebody, could acquire Lola.

A minor correction, Entr0py, the 17-second run is the one through the two sets of esses up to that fast left-hander at Turn 10. The back stretch is still 15 seconds on full throttle though. The front stretch is 13 seconds or so on full power. And counting up the other bits around the lap, there's another 16-18 seconds of full-throttle running on top of those three main stretches. And yes, there only seem to be 2-3 slow corners, plus another 3-4 medium-speed corners. The rest are very much high-speed curves. One interesting thing I noticed, and a rarity these days, is that the Cytosport car was using first gear for "Oak Tree".
Old 20 Jun 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3095650)   #2538
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.alms.com/articles/alms-ex...l-gas-pc-class
Now THIS is interesting news, ALMS is exploring options to run natural gas in the PC class. So will they be converting the LS3s or will they put new engines? Either way, this probably means we'll be keeping PC for a while.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3096968)   #2539
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/23/a...%28Autoblog%29

It looks like we have an answer, the LS3 will be modified to accept natural gas.
Old 23 Jun 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3096969)   #2540
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone want to run in the GT class?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item43b0f849fb
Old 24 Jun 2012, 03:00 (Ref:3097002)   #2541
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Anyone want to run in the GT class?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item43b0f849fb
So I guess that means Miller Racing has a 2012 chassis this year. Not a bad price for the old one though.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3097822)   #2542
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Any suggestions/helpful tidbits for a first visit to Lime Rock Park?
Old 25 Jun 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3097832)   #2543
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post

The track is in a very beautiful part of NW CT. It's small, and it is possible to walk the entire infield numerous times during the race. There are no grandstands, so if you intend to sit during the race I would recommend bringing a comfortable beach chair. If you would like to walk the track, the most crowded part tends to be around the new uphill chicane by the RV/Campers. The crowds there can be 3-4 deep. A very neat place to watch the cars is on the inside of the downhill. There aren't many people there at all and it's quite a rush seeing the P cars fly down the hill flatout through the corner at 130 mph +. The only access to the outside of the track is along the end of the front straight (walkover bridge) and the new viewing areas on the exit of West Bend and the Downhill (another walkover bridge)

Where will you be driving in from?
How many days do you plan to be there?

Let me know if you have any other questions
Old 25 Jun 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3097857)   #2544
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll be leaving Wichita some time this Wednesday. There is an international vintage sailplane event in Elmira, New York this coming week. The idea is, hopefully, to catch the Glen 6 Hours just up the road on Sunday July 1st, and then to make it over for the Lime Rock race at the tail end of things on Saturday the 7th. Sunday the 8th and Monday the 9th will probably be spent driving back home.

There is a slight chance that while over by Connecticut, my companions and I would drop in on the World War I aircraft museum at Rhinebeck, New York.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3097863)   #2545
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
WHAT??? I find this VERY hard to be true. Only .3 seconds off the 2004 Benetton? Were they running the same course? Was the Benetton just cruising? Was it raining?
There was no Benetton car in 2004, Benetton were bought out by Renault for 2002. I think they mean a Benetton (most likely 2000/2001 spec) that set the lap record IN 2004.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3097883)   #2546
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
There was no Benetton car in 2004, Benetton were bought out by Renault for 2002. I think they mean a Benetton (most likely 2000/2001 spec) that set the lap record IN 2004.
Not to mention it was most likely not driven at it's full potential. Any observant motorsport fan will notice the relatively high laptime differential at tracks LMP and F1 cars share.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3097902)   #2547
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Just up the road.

http://www.barringtonbrewery.net/
Old 25 Jun 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3098080)   #2548
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No IMSA GT3 Challenge, Prototype Lites or anything scheduled for Lime Rock, just ALMS and URC... bit poor support race package I'd say, least exciting of the season for sure. I love the circuit and surroundings though, it's a bit like Brands Hatch Indy for the series

Mosport's (I refuse to call it anything else) schedule on the other hand looks exciting, if I had the money and time that would be the race I'd attend. Wish NCATS run on the same weekend too
Old 25 Jun 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3098098)   #2549
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Have the URC cars run at all yet? If anyone has seen them, how were they to watch?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 04:43 (Ref:3098191)   #2550
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post
Not to mention it was most likely not driven at it's full potential. Any observant motorsport fan will notice the relatively high laptime differential at tracks LMP and F1 cars share.
I believe it was a 1994 Benetton. On fairly pedestrian tires (compared to the Michelins on the HPD), with an amateur driver, I wouldn't anticipate it would be particularly quick, especially around VIR which requires immense commitment from drivers to make a downforce car go quickly. Put Michael Schumacher in the car, with his 1994 Benetton team in support and the car would go quicker. But I don't think the ALMS was seriously suggesting that the current watered-down LMP1 formula is as quick as F1 cars. It was a simple statement of fact. "Here's an idea of our relative pace, we were only .3 seconds slower than an old Formula 1 car." would have been the better, perhaps more honest wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
No IMSA GT3 Challenge, Prototype Lites or anything scheduled for Lime Rock, just ALMS and URC... bit poor support race package I'd say, least exciting of the season for sure. I love the circuit and surroundings though, it's a bit like Brands Hatch Indy for the series

Mosport's (I refuse to call it anything else) schedule on the other hand looks exciting, if I had the money and time that would be the race I'd attend. Wish NCATS run on the same weekend too
As far as I can tell, URC is stillborn. I would love to be proven wrong. And then I'd love for the ALMS to birth a support series as exciting and interesting as the CTSCC. Perhaps work out a deal with the Castrol Canadian Touring Car Championship to work closely on developing a Touring Car Championship for IMSA.

... Of course, maybe they should just focus on the ALMS...

Chris