Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 7 Mar 2003, 12:48 (Ref:527700)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Barry Sheene - Taken from "Yahoo Sport"

Sheene condition gives cause for concern.

The news that double world motorcycle world champion Barry Sheene has had to withdraw from the flag waving ceremony at the end of this weekend's Australian F1 Grand Prix has raised further fears over the state of his health.
The 52-year old Briton, now resident on Australia's Gold Coast, was diagnosed with stomach and oesophagus cancer last July, but insisted on using alternative therapies in his early fight against the disease, rather than following doctors' advice to proceed with the more usual chemotherapy.

"Stomach and oesophagus are difficult cancers, but I don't believe in chemotherapy," Sheene is quoted as saying at the time of his diagnosis, "I think it's just poison, so I'm not going to get involved in that."

According to the British press, however, the fans' favourite may be living on borrowed time unless he reverts to the suggested therapy.

"Barry is very ill," friend and fellow racer Steve Parrish told the News of the World late last month, "He has a very nasty form of cancer - one of the toughest to sort out.

"I've just spent six days with him, and he's more tired and weaker than he's ever been in his life. How long he has got to live, I don't know. He is positive that he is going to beat it, but saying 'it's got the better of me and I'm going to roll over just isn't Barry'."

The report claimed that Sheene was struggling to get out of bed and was losing weight rapidly as he struggled to keep what little food he ate in his system, prompting medical experts to suggest that he may now be in the final stages of his fight for life.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:19 (Ref:527782)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sad news indeed. I hope he manages to stage a fightback but the article rather hints that it's too late
Old 7 Mar 2003, 14:25 (Ref:527786)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I work in the Media and our sports guys are thinking the same. However, sometimes miracles do happen.....
Old 7 Mar 2003, 22:18 (Ref:528170)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn it Sheene, get your butt into hospital now!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 22:35 (Ref:529228)   #5
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
****ing hell barry!!!
YES chemotherapy is poison, thats the whole point!!!

grrrrr..... *smacks barry on the back of the head

GET YOUR ARSE TO HOSPITAL!!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 04:08 (Ref:530909)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
sounds like it's getting very bad for barry, best of luck to him.....
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:16 (Ref:530952)   #7
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

Blu_butterfly17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Sheene passes away

Barry passed away today at the gold coast hospital. My prays
and thoughts are with him and his family

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.a...5E1702,00.html

Last edited by Blu_butterfly17; 10 Mar 2003 at 06:21.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:20 (Ref:530954)   #8
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Sheen has passed away ?

Was just talking to a friend on the phone who has told me they heard a radio report stating that Barry Sheen passed away this afternoon. He was 52.

I really hope this is wrong but if this terrible news is correct I'd like to offer my condolences to the Sheen family.

I've been looking around online for confirmation and I'm watching the 5pm Channel 10 news but haven't found anything yet.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:21 (Ref:530955)   #9
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

Blu_butterfly17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep it's true! bugger - going to miss ya baz!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:38 (Ref:530959)   #10
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just horrible. I was watching the V8 Supercars Greatest Hits Volume 2 DVD Saturay night and my friend and I were discussing how much we miss him in the commentary box.

Once again my condolences to his family.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:39 (Ref:530960)   #11
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's very sad news. He was a great character and a true champion. I'm sure the motorsport fraternity will be very sad by this news. Best wishes to his family and friends. This makes you stop and think about what we argue over and carry on about, like the Ingall post that I did. Life's too short and remember that V8's is a sport after all.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:43 (Ref:530962)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!

Very sad newd indeed. My thoughts and condolances are with his family and friends.

R.I.P.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:52 (Ref:530965)   #13
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad indeed, he wiil be missed by a lot of people
My thoughts and condolances are with his family and friends
RIP bazz
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:53 (Ref:530967)   #14
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Have just heard on the news this morning that Barry has passed away overnight.

He will be sorely missed ......................

RIP
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:56 (Ref:530968)   #15
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
GOLD COAST, Australia (Reuters) - Former world motorcycling champion Barry Sheene has died, according to the Australian television station he worked for. Network Ten announced in its nightly bulletin that Sheene passed away in a Gold Coast hospital after a long fight with cancer. "Barry Sheene lost his battle with cancer this afternoon and died in a Gold Coast hospital," the network announced. Sheene, world champion in 1976 and 1977, was diagnosed with cancer of the stomach and oesophagus in July last year, but vowed to fight the disease. He was survived by his wife Stephanie and two children, Freddie and Sidonie.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 06:57 (Ref:530969)   #16
scotthydro
Rookie

scotthydro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Sad to hear.
I really thought that such a tough competitor could beat that. Never considered he wouldn't make it. Just goes to show how hard it is...
May God be with his family and friends.
I'll miss him.
RIP Barry

Scotthydro
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:21 (Ref:530978)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw on this evenings news that Barry Sheene passed way this afternoon in a Gold Coast hospital. Sincere condolances to Barry's wife and kids, family and freinds.

R.I.P
Barry
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:21 (Ref:530979)   #18
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news for the motorsport family and the Sheene family, of whom i send their deepest sympathies and condolences.

We will miss him greatly for his humour and antics in and out of the commentary box.

R.I.P. Barry Sheene.

We'll miss you Baz.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:24 (Ref:530980)   #19
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P Barry

Thanks for the memories
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:27 (Ref:530983)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very Sad News RIP
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:38 (Ref:530985)   #21
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news. Baz, you were great
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:40 (Ref:530986)   #22
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is just so sad
Hard to believe we will never see him again. This really is a very sad moment.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:41 (Ref:530987)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Barry

Rest in peace Baz. Condolences to his family.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:45 (Ref:530989)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Barry Sheene - 195-2003

Barry Sheene passed away today, 10th March 2003, after a battle with stomach and throat cancer, although his battle only became public in 2002.

A two time 500cc world champion in 1976 and 1977, Sheene won 19 grand prix and was a star in Britain at the time with his sense of humour and courageous displays on his Suzuki.

Sheene moved to Australia in the early 1990s and soon became a popular face on Australian TV, commentating on the motorcycles for both Channel Nine and Channel Ten.

Sheene always remained a bike enthusiast, participating in several historic meetings, particularly at Donington and Goodwood.

Sheene is survived by his wife Stephanie and two children.

See you in motorsport heaven Baz.

Last edited by f1manoz; 10 Mar 2003 at 10:02.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:49 (Ref:530990)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
RIP Barry Sheene

Lifted from Yahoo Sport:

Quote:
Sheene remembered as glamorous champion
GOLD COAST, Australia, March 10 (Reuters) - Barry Sheene, who has died of cancer at the age of 52, was Britain's last motorcycling world champion and was famous as much for his playboy lifestyle as his sporting prowess.

Sheene won the world championship in 1976 and 1977 and was inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in October 2001.

He won his first world title with five victories and a second place for a near-maximum score, with just six rounds counting towards the championship.

Sheene retained his crown a year later with six wins in the season.

But for all his achievements on a bike Sheene made the headlines almost as much by coming off it.

Two spectacular crashes -- Daytona in 1975, when he came off his Suzuki at 170 miles per hour (273.6 kph), and Silverstone in 1982 -- sealed his fame.

Sheene suffered terrible injuries when he crashed during practise for his home GP at Silverstone and was left with 27 metal bolts holding his legs together.

Barry Sheene was born in London on September 11, 1950.

His father Frank was an amateur rider and Sheene's first race in 1968 was at Brands Hatch on his father's Bultacos.

Sheene won the 125 British Championship in 1970 and was runner-up to Angel Nieto in the 125 World Championships a year later.

The European 750cc title followed in 1973 and he won his first 500 grand prix in 1974 riding for Suzuki.

After his two back-to-back world titles, Sheene was prevented from enjoying further glory by the emergence of American Kenny Roberts, who beat the Briton to the crown by 10 points in 1978.

Sheene won 19 500cc grand prix races in a career at the top of world championship racing that lasted 10 years.

In his heyday in the 1970s, Sheene was a household name in Britain and around the world. He came across as the archetypal cheeky 'cockney' -- charming, quick-witted and outspoken.

He stood out from his rivals, riding in white leathers with a picture of Donald Duck painted on his helmet.

Sheene enjoyed a place in British life that no motorcycle rider had ever occupied.

He was married to a model, mixed with pop stars and was just as likely to be found in a night club as at a race track.

He became one of the sport's first multi-millionaires using his charm and good looks to endorse products such as clothes and aftershave.

Sheene retired from riding in 1984 and moved to the Gold Coast in Australia where he worked as a television commentator.

He was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus and stomach in July 2002.

He is survived by his wife Stephanie and two children, Sidonie, 18, and Freddie, 14.
A very sad day for motorcyle fans world-wide. Barry had a terrific sense of humour and was an all-round good guy. It's a tragedy that he has left us at such a young age.