Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 26 Jan 2004, 14:51 (Ref:851144)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scott Dixon - No 1!

Scott Dixon will drive car no. 1 this year.

He hopes the aura of driving the No. 1 car will accompany him at the 16 stops on the 2004 IRL IndyCar Series schedule.

“It’s kind of cool actually to run the No. 1 car,” he said. “You don’t have that opportunity often.

I think you always have a certain amount of pressure just to perform and make sure you do well. Even being with such a good team like Team Target, I kind of like the pressure. It pushes you.”

“Historically, the No. 1 has been held out for the champion of the series,” Ganassi said. “It’s an instant identifier as to your accomplishments the previous year.”

Full story.

I think it's pretty cool he's using the no 1 this year. Perviously, it's been optional for the champ to use the no 1 the following year (Scott Sharp did in '97, Greg Ray did in '01) But sometimes the teams want to stick with thier traditional numbers (Brack in '99, Lazier in '00, Hornish 01-02) which is fair enough. At the end of the day, it's just a number but it's the number they all want.

The question is...will he be able to keep it?

Last edited by Down F0rce; 26 Jan 2004 at 14:51.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 14:56 (Ref:851152)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to see he'll be using the #1.

As for your question, it's a tough one - given how close it will be this year I think he's in for a hard fight.

I predict the boys at Penske and Andretti Racing will be the main rivals, and if Scheckter can keep it off the walls and Taylor manages to adjust to the IndyCars, Panther Racing should be a force to be reckoned with as well.

Just about a month left until Homestead - it's going to rock (especially considering the superb face lift that track has gotten)
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:02 (Ref:851293)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like the #1 tradition. It makes no mistake to drivers and fans alike who the champ is, and it has to make Scott try that much harder to keep it.

The competition should be very good this year with quite a few teams with a chance to win. I like your picks rusty, Andretti, Panther, and of course Penske. My personal hope for a great season goes to Herta, even though he's in a development car, and it will be great to see how Brack does when he comes back. Alot of good drivers out there!

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Jan 2004, 20:18 (Ref:851519)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should go for #1 it is the champs number- I don't mind what hornish did, but this is open wheel not NASCAR- #1 is where you want to be- not consistent and still not a winner,at least you become a gazillionaire
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:10 (Ref:851967)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There'd be only one reason why you wouldn't want to change...

(I say, wearing my red "Number 8" t-shirt )

Last edited by Hazza; 27 Jan 2004 at 09:14.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:49 (Ref:852020)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back on topic, provided there are several team/drivers at his level (Penske/Panther/Andretti/Hornish/Castroneves/Kanaan etc) it will basically depend on the performances of engines and chassis.
About engines: new regulations after Motegi may shuffle cards; about chassis, we know that regulations have been suddenly modified when the new cars had alredy been designed. Consequrently none of the chassis manufacturers really knows if, after such changes, one/which of them will turn out stronger(and neither the customer teams of course).
The sum of the answers to these questions will determine the final result.
What we can (and I ) wish is that the fight will be thght like in 2003.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:06 (Ref:852092)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd make it compulsory for the champion to run number one.

It instantly identifies to viewers who has that status.

I'm aware some people want to keep the same number for marketing reasons but it just grated with me seeing Hornish still number 4 when he was champion.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:09 (Ref:852096)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like I said, I think Jr will stick with No. 8.

The only exception is if I got hold of 5 (red, of course) 99 or 27 - I'd hold onto them - The marketing potential!!

Speaking of which, I had a thought - It'd be cool for Jr or Gordon to try for the '500 wouldn't it?
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:14 (Ref:852101)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazza
Speaking of which, I had a thought - It'd be cool for Jr or Gordon to try for the '500 wouldn't it?

It would be great, but when not even Tony Stewart will do the double (he shelved all his future Indy plans a couple of weeks ago), I don't see anyone else doing it either (primarily due to the risk of being injured, something you can't afford if you are driving for a top NEXTEL Cup team). Unfortunately, I have to say - it's great when drivers do cross-overs between different series'.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:22 (Ref:852109)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Enforcing the use of #1 for the champion would be cool. Putting marketing above racing is never the right way to go. Scott has showed that he's proud of his achievement last eyar and relishes the challenge of holding onto the title.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 07:33 (Ref:853235)   #11
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good on ya Scott, #1
Old 30 Jan 2004, 06:54 (Ref:856007)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
saw a picture on motorsport.com - the #1 target car does look good
Old 14 Feb 2004, 21:43 (Ref:874339)   #13
wblh
Rookie

wblh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No1 looks good on any car. I believe Scott will win comfortably this year,his form at Phoenix looks sharp
Old 14 Feb 2004, 22:49 (Ref:874371)   #14
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His form looks good and he seems to be always at the front on the short courses, having said that he's not as dominant on the longer tracks or higher banking it seems.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:51 (Ref:876240)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott's a great champ, and represents the series well, but I think he's going to have his hands full, defending his title this year!

Alot of teams and drivers are looking strong. Could be the closest year yet. I can't wait!

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Feb 2004, 07:47 (Ref:876593)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tanalised
His form looks good and he seems to be always at the front on the short courses, having said that he's not as dominant on the longer tracks or higher banking it seems.
what - the season hasnt started yet
Old 17 Feb 2004, 11:36 (Ref:876836)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can tell from last season though. Scott won at Richmond - leading every lap, with no one making a move for the win on him (althought the rain was rain-shortened). But he didn't dominate like that on the big tracks, apart from the latter part of Homestead, but even then Gil was keeping him honest.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 17 Feb 2004 at 11:43.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 17:22 (Ref:877217)   #18
wblh
Rookie

wblh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don`t think Scott`s form on the big ovals was too bad last year although I do believe he will start to dominate them this year. Sam Hornish is certainly pretty good though and just may put a big spanner in my theory
Old 19 Feb 2004, 09:58 (Ref:879134)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
your theory is cool wblh - hornish vs dixon in 04 will be great - penske vs ganassi, what more could we ask for