Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3305907)   #1
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Button good for McLaren?

As much as this question will trigger vivid answers, I would like to raise it. Perez has shown some interesting pace there and I genuinely question whether Button is pushing enough in that car, especially in qualifying.

Do we need some more fire there?
Old 18 Sep 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3305912)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think Mclaren have maneuvered themselves into a bit of corner with the drivers they've would up with. Button is a worthy F1 driver but his form can be very topsy turvy, Perez carries promise but isn't seasoned yet. Mclaren would be entitled to be confused as to where they are at with their car. I think both Button or Perez would do well at Mclaren with a commanding driver to direct the team.
Old 18 Sep 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3305914)   #3
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
9-3 to Jenson in the races and 6-6 in qualifying . I think we also need to take into consideration how doggy the car is this season ,and when Jenson does not have the car beneath him well we all know , but saying that the results could be worse ! I just hope Mclaren have learnt lessons this year and the car is a stormer next year then we may see who is the quicker .
Old 18 Sep 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3305941)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
That's what we all wanted! Another driver thread.

Old 19 Sep 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3305950)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
As much as this question will trigger vivid answers, I would like to raise it. Perez has shown some interesting pace there and I genuinely question whether Button is pushing enough in that car, especially in qualifying.

Do we need some more fire there?
No we need a car ...
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3306064)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perez is a somewhat unknown quantity really, still. And Button needs a perfect car to do anything.

Not the ideal situation for a top team like McLaren.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3306070)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in a way, button's almost an unknown quantity too, judging by the way we all have so many different views about just how good he is
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:39 (Ref:3306072)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no point for this thread. Whilst McLaren's driver line-up is a bit dodgy, their biggest problem is their car, because both Perez and Button could be title contenders, just if they are given the car.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3306075)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
in a way, button's almost an unknown quantity too, judging by the way we all have so many different views about just how good he is
He is clearly very good in most cars. Give him the perfect car for his needs and he can be untouchable. Give him a very bad car and he, well, gets beaten by Rubens Barrichello (2008).

But to agree with the poster above me, yes, clearly McLaren's main issue is the car itself this year. Hamilton would probably have dragged some amazing results out of it but they'd still be having a dreadful season.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3306078)   #10
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Button - the fastest man in the world on occasion. On others, one of the slowest drivers in the F1 field. In low grip conditions it seems that maybe Nico Hulkenberg and Lewis Hamilton can catch him, but nobody else. Has a better feel for the car than the rest of the field, hence the "fluke" wins due to epic tyre choices (and his wet weather pace), but this can harm him too, as, if the car is a small bit off of perfect, then he is nowhere. Very clean in wheel-to-wheel racing (perhaps too clean), lacks qually pace, and finds it hard to make a season. But when he does, he destroys most around him.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3306106)   #11
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
There is no point for this thread.
Why would that be? If you read above, you will see that your opinion is not shared by all which confirms the point that this thread is a valid one.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3306113)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
In answer to the original question. Yes. Button is too good for McLaren.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3306134)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think we need to wait and see how good next year's car is. Remember, Button is the only driver ever to have beaten Lewis Hamilton over the course of a season in equal machinery. Hopefully, 2014 will show us how much of a dog this year's McLaren is, and Button will be back on form. But I - a Button fan - agree that he can be inconsistent.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3306165)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am a big Button fan (and nominal McLaren fan), but as others have pointed out, he has a narrow operating window. Magic when his car is in that window, but much less so if not. I am not even sure if this years McLaren even "has" an operating window.

To the OPs question. I think any top driver is a waste at McLaren this year. I don't think a different set of drivers are going to light any additional fires of encouragement.

Richard
Old 19 Sep 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3306176)   #15
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a Button fan, but I think we're all out on just how good he really is. I agree that it was a perfect situation when Lewis was there - someone who is absolutely in the top 3 on raw pace, as it gave McLaren a fair barometer on exactly where the car is.

This season's car clearly isn't great - but at each race I can't help imagining that Lewis may be 10/20 seconds further up the road, in that machine - though obviously there's nothing, but the last few years, and Lewis' ability in a less-than-perfect car to go by.

If I was Jonathan Neale/Martin Whitmarsh - and I had my house on the line, which driver out of Nico Hulkenberg or Jenson would I rely on pushing McLaren up the grid next year? Sadly, as a Jenson fan, I just can't imagine Jenson would be faster...

Also - let's say if Perez left McLaren now, no-one still knows how good he is/isn't. Kobayashi wasn't really a decent yardstick and Sauber were quite vocal that they felt last year's car was better than either driver showed.

When you've got Rosberg/Hamilton in Merc, and Kimi/Alonso at Ferrari - I just don't see Jenson breaking into that top 3, if all car's are of a similar level. But then he surprised us all in 2010-12...

Fact is, it'll be the same line-up in 2014.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3306191)   #16
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, he is good for McLaren. In fact good for any decent team.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3306196)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Good enough for McLaren to sign him up for another season, at least.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...ntract-signed/

I feel a merge coming on.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3306199)   #18
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I feel a "Is Button Good For Button" thread coming on...
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3306202)   #19
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
I feel a "My-Favourite-Driver would thrash all the others in equal cars and is better than all the past greats" thread coming on.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:27 (Ref:3306203)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Yeah, there just aren't enough driver threads.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3306234)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly not enough to make a jacket with buttonholes!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3306244)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he may not be punching above the car's weight class but 9th on the drivers table in a car thats 5th in the constructors is exactly where we should expect him to be imo. sure there could be a few drivers who could have done better but they unfortunately have contracts with other teams.

also surprised they are waffling on a 2015 contract. it must be about not renewing him at his option wage (14mill from the Forbes list in another thread).

short of nominating a Japanese driver for 2015, from Honda's and a marketing standpoint, JB is probably still the most popular F1 driver in Japan so surely he also has some value there to the team and its sponsors.

changing a long term engine partner, suggestions that they may go for another unproven non race winning driver following a few years of the car under performing...am i being cynical or does this remind anyone of the prelude leading up to the decline of Williams.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3306489)   #23
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question for the OP, if Button is not good enough for McLaren, who is?
Let me guess, Sam Bird??

Old 20 Sep 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3306498)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd rephrase the question, is Whitmarsh good for McLaren?
Old 20 Sep 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3306524)   #25
ace007
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd rephrase the question, is Whitmarsh good for McLaren?
I have to admit that I do miss Ron...