Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: She has a short list, whioch one should she buy?
Holden Captiva 7 SX FWD 2.4 3 23.08%
Mazda CX-5 Maxx FWD 2.0 auto 8 61.54%
Nissan Dualis ST J10 FWD 2.0 2 15.38%
Honda CRV VTi FWD RM 2.4 0 0%
Mitsubishi ASX XB FWD 2.0 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Jun 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3256939)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which compact SUV to buy?

I know this belongs in the Road Car forum, but if i put it there, no Aussie will see it, so it's here, where you'll all see it and hopefully provide helpful suggestions...

My sister needs to replace her 2001 Astra. She wants a compact SUV, with auto trans and won't pay a penny more than $30K, drive away. She keeps asking my advice but I loathe SUVs with a passion, so i don't know a peach from a lemon.

She has a teenager and an 8 year old, they all have bicycles, she lives in Bne and her daily commute is 50km round trip, all urban, the car will never leave the bitumen or tow a trailer.

Are there any dogs which must be avoided, any pitfalls to lookout for? Any particularly good ones to consider?
Old 3 Jun 2013, 04:55 (Ref:3256940)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
kia sportage 2WD auto 28990 drive away. 5 year warranty fixed price servicing. (and currently a $1000 myer voucher)

While i dont have a sportage i have the sorrento, its been fantastic (as much as i dont want it to be)

heard some good stuff about the Ford Kuga also
Old 3 Jun 2013, 05:46 (Ref:3256945)   #3
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
My daughters Nissan Dualis drives well, she's very happy with it........auto transmission is CVT with 10 year warranty (so I'm told).
Old 3 Jun 2013, 06:53 (Ref:3256963)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm going to try to fix that problem with that forum section... everyone here likes cars yet no one chats about them.

Sorry I'm not from Oz, but yall got Honda down there? If so, I'd suggest a CR-V for the lady, especially if she likes ruched leather . If not, I know someone that has a Chevy Equinox which is a Holden Captiva 7... that's a whole helluva lot of car for the money. Well built too.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3256964)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nissan Dualis... 2WD.. sub $30k..

Dont get a demonstrator, or executive driven.. I know where (some of them) have been...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Jun 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3257027)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One car to forget... Volkswagen Tiguan...

Unless you enjoy having Christmas dinner with the dealership Service Manager, who you are likely to see more regularly than your own children!
Old 3 Jun 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3257035)   #7
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The CX5 Is the winner for me , my sister recently bought one and I have used it a few times and found it very classy and it ticked all the boxes - she came from a Mercedes to the CX5 and is very satisfied.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3257039)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
The CX5 Is the winner for me , my sister recently bought one and I have used it a few times and found it very classy and it ticked all the boxes - she came from a Mercedes to the CX5 and is very satisfied.
Only challenge with the CX5 is finding one under the $30k drive away limit...
Old 3 Jun 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3257045)   #9
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Only challenge with the CX5 is finding one under the $30k drive away limit...
Yes , must say I don't know how much she paid , when she was shopping for a new vehicle she mentioned $30K but I don't know if she stuck by it (She is 75 and very shrewd) she likes it because it sits her higher than the other traffic , her Merc was a sports type and all you saw looking out of the windows were other cars wheels .
Old 3 Jun 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3257051)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It is EOFYS season, where car makers & importers have pots of gold to help customers upspec their prospective purchase... for the most part the price doesnt seem to come down, but you get more features than you might have otherwise gotten...
Old 3 Jun 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3257059)   #11
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Inlaws got a Hyundai ix35 last year, still impressed with it.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3257064)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
maybe this will help

2012 Australias Best cars - Best SUV under 40k
Old 3 Jun 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3257067)   #13
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like my Forester; but obviously it is not one of the options and I doubt it will fit your price point.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3257069)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A Subaru XV would likely come in under $30k

Be interesting if the bikes would fit in the back.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3257096)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
A Subaru XV would likely come in under $30k

Be interesting if the bikes would fit in the back.
XV has a list price of 31k for the auto (manual is 28,490)
Old 3 Jun 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3257231)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
XV is on deal if you know where to look...
Old 3 Jun 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3257263)   #17
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you do a lot of stop-start driving, I'd go for the Volkswagen....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 3 Jun 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3257337)   #18
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Inlaws got a Hyundai ix35 last year, still impressed with it.
Good to hear that, it would be one of my choices.......six speed auto, and the diesel engines are world class with heaps of torque and one report said they sipped as little as 4 litres/100k on some sections of open road.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 04:39 (Ref:3257437)   #19
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
If you do a lot of stop-start driving, I'd go for the Volkswagen....
Because it will break down often?
Old 4 Jun 2013, 05:11 (Ref:3257440)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzone View Post
Because it will break down often?
Try Here

It happens way more often than you might think. Unfortunately.

In one dealership I am aware of, they now have a dedicated gearbox change bay, including all the stands, jacks, tools, clean bench etc to quickly detach them and pull them to pieces in an allocated space..

Maybe a manual would actually proceed when you flex the right ankle.. is it worth $30k to find out?

Old 4 Jun 2013, 05:14 (Ref:3257441)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
One car to forget... Volkswagen Tiguan...

Unless you enjoy having Christmas dinner with the dealership Service Manager, who you are likely to see more regularly than your own children!
The diesels aren't that bad, and the DSG in them is of the more robust variety.

Although you won't get that combination for anywhere near $30K.

Boot's not much bigger than a Golf's, though.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 05:28 (Ref:3257445)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
SMH Looooooves Golf

Stories around the traps have alleged that VW may or may not have pulled their dealership & general brand advertising spend from the Fairfax newspapers.... apparently, if you believe the story, on the strength of this style of article... and there have been many of them recently if you look at the attached...

With new Golf out in the world, those marketing millions, and an itchy trigger finger.. it will be interesting to see who wins..

Presuming any of this actually happened
Old 4 Jun 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3257446)   #23
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a lot of fear-mongering coming out in the press this last week.

I can't see it doing much for Volkswagen's reputation in Australia, but as usual, the press will come out of it smelling like roses, having done their duty to "inform" the general public.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 03:13 (Ref:3257870)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank for all your contributions guys, it's much appreciated.

She has now shortlisted and test driven three cars. She hated the Mazda CX-5, she thought it is was gutless and rough riding and reeked of poverty pack. She liked the Nissan Dualis and really likes the Captiva 7, but she is worried about it's iffy repautraion. I wonder if it's reputation is based on real things that have actually happened to someone or is it just rumours built on badge snobbery?
Old 5 Jun 2013, 08:55 (Ref:3257920)   #25
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Then Dualis it should be, my daughter has had no problems.