Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 May 2000, 23:13 (Ref:464)   #1
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Many people on this forum enjoy discussing the fastest drivers in the field. However their discussions tend to be limited to qualifying, which is ok to some extent. I believe (my opinion only) that the real test of a drivers speed comes on race day. Under race conditions we can see which drivers can go quick when everything in the car is not so perfect. Also mastering a quick lap in qualifying is an art, and a talent which i appreciate, but its worthless if you cant replicate those laps in critical moments of a race(ie just before pit stops). I think you may be guessing that i'm criticising Hakkinen and if you do your probably right. But to me, he seems to be recognised, and correctly so, as a qualifier rather than a racer. He gives up if he doesn't get it his way, and he goes fast once he has lost the race. As much as DC's speed pales in comparison to Hakkinens in qualifying, i admire his grit, and racing spirit. And for these reasons I can respect him as a racer. OK enough said here are my questions

Who is the best racer in F1?
Who is quickest in race trim?
Am i being too harsh on Hakkinen?
Old 3 May 2000, 13:44 (Ref:465)   #2
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think the first two questions can't be answered unless every driver raced in every car. Just too many variables. As far as Dr. Hakkinenbush...sounds reasonable.
Old 3 May 2000, 21:47 (Ref:466)   #3
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But to me, he seems to be recognised, and correctly so, as a qualifier rather than a racer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting idea, but I would argue with it. We don't see Hakkinen as a racer because he is so good at qualifying, but look what happened last year when qualifying went wrong (I think it was France). He started down the grid and carved his way through in a way that any of the greats would be proud of.

With the exception of Silverstone this year, DC seems to have all sorts of problems when it comes to overtaking.

In a race, speed alone is not enough. In addition you need race craft, tactics, agression, even patience, thats what makes the complete driver. For proof, look no further than MS.