Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Dec 2007, 11:01 (Ref:2095265)   #1
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What now for Tonio Liuzzi?

It appears as though his F1 career is over. To me its a real shame as you would have to think if things had fallen his way he would have enjoyed better results?

The whole Liuzzi vs Klein first up was not ideal, then he hasnt seemed to shine in his more recent surroundings.

Sitting back and watching talented guys struggle in teams, simply because the politics/environment? Well, it would have been great to see the guy get a go at Williams this year.

Does anyone else care, has he had his time? Better guys around ?
Old 27 Dec 2007, 11:12 (Ref:2095271)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The problem is that he is perceived as a bit of a party-boy, mainly as a result of the promotional work he had to undertake for Red Bull. He's undoubtebly quick, but I don't think he's taken seriously by those at the top. Nor do I think that's he's top-drawer - Like Klien, he had a good chance to impress, but never showed himself to be anything truly special. If I'm honest, I'd prefer to see someone else get a chance.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2095275)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame that Tonio looks to be out of a drive. He's certainly pretty talented, and quick too. He also acquitted himself well next to the high rated Vettel at the end of this season, although he's obviously a lot more experienced than Seb.
However, perception being everything in F1, I don't think his 'quirky' image did him many favours. The eyebrow piercing, the jauntily-angled cap - may have fitted in well with Red Bull's image, but I can't see a Ron Dennis taking him terribly seriously, quick or not. Pity.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 11:19 (Ref:2095277)   #4
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
The problem is that he is perceived as a bit of a party-boy, mainly as a result of the promotional work he had to undertake for Red Bull. He's undoubtebly quick, but I don't think he's taken seriously by those at the top. Nor do I think that's he's top-drawer - Like Klien, he had a good chance to impress, but never showed himself to be anything truly special. If I'm honest, I'd prefer to see someone else get a chance.
Ha! You just beat me to it Super Hans. Great minds think alike etc...
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:36 (Ref:2095304)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For those who like coincidences, the Autosport.com "one year ago in F1" section is currently running this archived story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56099
Old 27 Dec 2007, 12:44 (Ref:2095306)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Liuzzi and Speed never impressed me in F1.

Speed seemed to try his hardest to get involved in accidents and Liuzzi was overrated in my opinion.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 13:04 (Ref:2095318)   #7
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
The problem is that he is perceived as a bit of a party-boy, mainly as a result of the promotional work he had to undertake for Red Bull.
LOL mainly because the promotional work he had to do for sure He wasnt even in F1 (did F3000 with Arden) when he attended the "media boat" (a ship at the moorings on Danube stuffed with media people) on the eve of the race, had his fair share in alcochol consumation and a go at virtually every female (including my older brother's girlfriend who did hostessing there)
In a brief interview one of the tv channels made with him he was talking about how much he likes Hungarian girls but he has to be faithful to his girlfriend, then he had a go at the interviewer

I think at Red Bull he found the right enviroment for his lifestyle but it would be a tad bit naive to think that the promotional work made him the party animal he is. A complete womanizer who certainly drinks more than the very occasional glass of red-whine with meals ... hard to imagine a top team taking him seriously.

Eventho he is (and im convienced of that) an exceptional talent, his commitment is nowhere near to Rosberg's, Webber's, Heidfeld's or Hamilton's, etc. he is trully just a fast driving guy with a playboy lifestyle having fun. Also, there is hardly another driver in the padock who's parents are as wealthy as his (Yoong maybe) so you cant even motiavte him with money, he is about as spoilt as it gets.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 13:17 (Ref:2095324)   #8
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Champ car
Old 27 Dec 2007, 13:20 (Ref:2095326)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
For those who like coincidences, the Autosport.com "one year ago in F1" section is currently running this archived story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56099
Hahaha, I spotted that. Always felt those comments would bite him on the arse in the not too distant future.

Liuzzi is a talented driver, no doubt. Anyone who saw his F3000 campaign in 2004 could see that. But he seemed to be asleep and not really applying himself in F1 until very, very late on when Vettel arrived to partner him. That, I am afraid, is not good enough.

A career in Champcar beckons I guess.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 13:27 (Ref:2095329)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champcar? Indycar? Sportscars?

Or the popular one now ... NASCAR
Old 27 Dec 2007, 14:54 (Ref:2095360)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Liuzzi has been given a fair chance to impress by Red Bull. In 2005, he was meant to be sharing the seat with Klien, but ended up doing only 4 races to Klien's 15. And why? Klien did well in the first 3 races, then did little else all season until the last race, where I think he finished 5th or something.

Then in 2006 he was put in the STR, which with a limited V10 was not a good car to have. Then this year, the car was rubbish and unreliable until around when Vettel joined. It improved, and Liuzzi was driving a lot better. Except he didn't get quite the rub of the green in terms of strategy and so on, so his performances were overlooked and Vettel was lauded. I'd say he was on a par with Vettel. But there was never any chance of him staying on...I think it would have made a lot more sense not to sign Bourdais. That is a gamble.

This whole business of not applying himself, I do not agree with. Vettel wouldn't have got a 4th place with the Toro Rosso of last year or the start of the season. In F1 nowadays, car is about 95%, skill makes up the other 5%.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 17:33 (Ref:2095410)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
Then in 2006 he was put in the STR, which with a limited V10 was not a good car to have. Then this year, the car was rubbish and unreliable until around when Vettel joined.
He's never had a good car, I agree, but I feel that a true top-drawer driver can still stand out in poor equipment. In one season with Minardi, Alonso made it clear he had something special, and the same could be said (to a lesser extent, perhaps) of Adrian Sutil in this year's Spyker. Liuzzi has had two full seasons in F1, and I feel that he has failed to make a similar impression.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 17:46 (Ref:2095413)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
I think at Red Bull he found the right enviroment for his lifestyle but it would be a tad bit naive to think that the promotional work made him the party animal he is.
I never said the promotional work turned him into a party boy, I said that he is perceived as a party boy, mainly as a result of said promotional activities.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 18:28 (Ref:2095430)   #14
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had some talent, but seemed to lack application. And he spun or crashed too often.

He's had his chance but has done nothing to suggest he'll be much of a loss.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 18:55 (Ref:2095439)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Pizza delivery.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 19:24 (Ref:2095448)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Pizza delivery.
Nah, he'd be late all the time and blame the moped.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 20:01 (Ref:2095466)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'll find a drive either in open-wheel in the USA (perhaps Red Bull connections?) or perhaps in another field in Europe... Don't know to be honest.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 20:08 (Ref:2095469)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think he will turn up in a Ferrari or Maserati in FIA GT or LMS.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 20:37 (Ref:2095486)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
USGP aside where Vettel drove for BMW, in 7 races for STR, Vettel outscored Liuzzi, plain and simple.

Liuzzi, imo, doesn't deserve a drive in 2008.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 01:07 (Ref:2095576)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe somebody will pick him up as a test driver. I think though Klien has definately said goodbye to F1 after leaving his spot at Honda to try and get the Force India race seat.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 11:21 (Ref:2096128)   #21
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Vettel was able to jump into the car and impress. Thinking back Liuzzi has had some good results but few far between. Thing is you read articles about the guys talents and wonder whether he has just fallen victim to lack of hunger...or just not a happy environment at STR?

I recall he tested with Williams years ago. What was their verdict?

Anyway...seems he is gone for all money. The talk of Sutil is lost on me, i think you have to be looking hard to see the "special" in his results, especially in light of Vettels efforts and some of the qualifying efforts of Davidson.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 11:37 (Ref:2096132)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32
The talk of Sutil is lost on me, i think you have to be looking hard to see the "special" in his results
It's all opinion of course, but I think he showed glimpses of something special on many occasions in 2007. Particularly in wet practice at Monaco and in the race at Spa. He binned the car an awful lot through over-exuberance, but he managed to get himself noticed to the extent that there was serious talk of him switching to McLaren for 2008.

My point is that drivers have to grab their chance in F1 with both hands, and make an impression, because they might not get another chance. Liuzzi, in my opinion, has not made the most of his opportunity.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2096137)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was excited about Tonio when he made his debut for RBR in 2005, but he's failed to deliver. He came up short against Vettel, and had far too many accidents throughout the season. The pace is there, but that's probably not enough in modern-day F1. Unless he can get a Force India drive, he's unlikely to get another chance in F1, even as test driver. Liuzzi's reputation may have been concocted by Red Bull for marketing reasons, I don't know if the reality is quite what the press implies.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 10:37 (Ref:2096467)   #24
clioracer
Rookie

clioracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
LOL mainly because the promotional work he had to do for sure He wasnt even in F1 (did F3000 with Arden) when he attended the "media boat" (a ship at the moorings on Danube stuffed with media people) on the eve of the race, had his fair share in alcochol consumation and a go at virtually every female (including my older brother's girlfriend who did hostessing there)
In a brief interview one of the tv channels made with him he was talking about how much he likes Hungarian girls but he has to be faithful to his girlfriend, then he had a go at the interviewer

I think at Red Bull he found the right enviroment for his lifestyle but it would be a tad bit naive to think that the promotional work made him the party animal he is. A complete womanizer who certainly drinks more than the very occasional glass of red-whine with meals ... hard to imagine a top team taking him seriously.

Eventho he is (and im convienced of that) an exceptional talent, his commitment is nowhere near to Rosberg's, Webber's, Heidfeld's or Hamilton's, etc. he is trully just a fast driving guy with a playboy lifestyle having fun. Also, there is hardly another driver in the padock who's parents are as wealthy as his (Yoong maybe) so you cant even motiavte him with money, he is about as spoilt as it gets.
Great.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Pizza delivery.
Maybe we shouldn`t let our daughters order any takeaway pizza then...

My opinion, there are much better , i.e. much more commited drivers in F1 and waiting to get into F1 so why bother?
Old 31 Dec 2007, 05:56 (Ref:2096937)   #25
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Red Bull needs to get in on sportscars and run an LMP for Liuzzi/Klien/Speed. Set up a Red Bull endurance team for all their ex-F1 protege's...