Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2004, 02:58 (Ref:842890)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber: New WDC in 2004

Mark Webber, who admit as a big Michael fan, warned his 'idol' that his reign as FI WDC is about to end.

He think that we will definitely have a new champion this year. They are one of the Williams drivers or Kimi.

"Yes, I am a big Michael fan but I think it'll be a hard year for them (Ferrari) because I think the Michelin thing will just prove too much in the end."

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to534447.shtml
Old 19 Jan 2004, 03:13 (Ref:842896)   #2
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I tend to agree
Old 19 Jan 2004, 03:18 (Ref:842899)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I would put my money on either there being no number one plate next year (he won it and retired), or it will be on the Mac. If MS cant put it together, Juan or Kimi will get it for sure.

What would be really funny, is Ralf coming good and the number one being on a Toyota!
Old 19 Jan 2004, 03:33 (Ref:842907)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
I tend to agree
Well, for this, I can't disagree with the Australian.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 03:42 (Ref:842911)   #5
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Not only Webber, Alonso also discount Michael's chance for 2004 championship.

He think Williams and McLaren seem to have a better prospect due to Michelin superiority, and Raikkonen and Montoya should be favourites.

http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_da...&anchor=dasmot
Old 19 Jan 2004, 03:51 (Ref:842913)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As if Bridgestone will just sit on their hands.... I am sure there are several Ferrari test teams out there pounding around somewhere, solving the issue

If you think about it, perhaps this is a psychological move from Mr Webber, to put the pressure on his midfield compatriots....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Jan 2004, 03:57 (Ref:842915)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
As if Bridgestone will just sit on their hands....
Have to agree with you here. I warned people this time last year about writting Williams off at such an early stage, it would be equally silly to think Bridgestone and Ferrari dont have the resources to put things right.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 04:04 (Ref:842917)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

What would be really funny, is Ralf coming good and the number one being on a Toyota!
Or DC and taking the number 1 to Jaguar
Old 19 Jan 2004, 04:27 (Ref:842933)   #9
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Or DC and taking the number 1 to Jaguar
Or, the number 1 still go to Toyota.

For sure, if DC be the WDC he will beat Ralf to get Toyota seat.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 08:30 (Ref:843048)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weather will be a bigger factor this year than ever IMO, if neither tyre manufacturer substantially improves their respective weaknesses, it could be as simple as the very hot/wet race split.

Looking at the calendar, Bahrain (hot!) and Spa (bound to be wet) could be significant. Any of our weather experts know China's likely weather at that time of year (wet?, Japan is often wet as well.

So could be down to Europe again and the mid-season patch that favoured Michelin, if we see temperatures like last year again this could be the battle ground sector of the season.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:46 (Ref:843160)   #11
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For sure Tyres is the key this year but I think the Mac's will have a good fast advantage at the start of the season which will aid them by years end . I think DC will suprize to by driving like a GP driver for a change as his furture F1 career is at stake .I think its Kimmi's year

But if Ferrari have a bad tyre year so will Sauber the F2003 was everything but Fast at times last year

Last edited by Mark Webber; 19 Jan 2004 at 11:48.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:58 (Ref:843162)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This thread seems to be a relived version of the start of the season in 2003. Williams strenght and Kimi's talent.
I just hope that this one proves to be real.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 12:15 (Ref:843172)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It just seems to be the reverse of 2002.
In 02 Bridgestone had a big advantage over Michelin, hence why Ferrari (who also had a good car) dominated totally.
I actually don't think the F2002 was THAT great a car, I think the tyres made a lot of the difference.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:40 (Ref:844172)   #14
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was certainly the best car of the year and one of the best Ferraris of recent years. I don't think Bridgestone made the majority of the difference, although I agree that it may have swayed things that way. But most of the difference was down to the fact that the car was a monster.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 16:11 (Ref:844222)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the F2002 was a great car, that matched up to a great set of tires. The GA2003, was not a great car, and by all accounts was a handful to set-up, and it never matched up well with those tires. That, I believe is the reason that Ferrari is bringing on the new car ahead of the season. It will match-up to those tires the way the 2002 did, and Ferrari will have another good year.

Like others here said, Bridgestone and Ferrari are not asleep at the switch.

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Jan 2004, 18:39 (Ref:844372)   #16
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"But don't count Bridgestone out", Todt has warned: Looking at testing times today he is right - so this year may not be a lop-sided tyre battle like last year -
Old 21 Jan 2004, 08:06 (Ref:845093)   #17
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to agree. Bridgestone will surely know what they're dealing with, and I don't think BAR will be letting up on them either, because I can assure you Honda will be pressing them hard and testing as much as Bridgestone lets them so as to help get BAR ahead of Jaguar. At least, if they have half a brain they'd start pressuring Bridgestone by threatening to take their OEM passanger contracts elsewhere.
I Guarantue you that kind of stuff would really work, because OEM stuff for volume production is worth buckets more than selling F1 tyres to race teams.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 08:34 (Ref:845119)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I'll put my money on Schumacher,he's too good for the rest of them.I'm sure he's even cleared a space in trophy cabinet for No 7.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 09:22 (Ref:845157)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by golem
I'm going to agree. Bridgestone will surely know what they're dealing with, and I don't think BAR will be letting up on them either, because I can assure you Honda will be pressing them hard and testing as much as Bridgestone lets them so as to help get BAR ahead of Jaguar. At least, if they have half a brain they'd start pressuring Bridgestone by threatening to take their OEM passanger contracts elsewhere.
I Guarantue you that kind of stuff would really work, because OEM stuff for volume production is worth buckets more than selling F1 tyres to race teams.
BAR have switched to Michelin tyres for 2004....
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:52 (Ref:845945)   #20
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I belive one of the main reasons for BAR to move to Michelin was because Bridgestone are to Ferrari focused.
Michelin on the other hand attempt to satisfy teams requests and will work with them to get the best from car and tyre.

The Grumpy1
Old 24 Jan 2004, 09:59 (Ref:849152)   #21
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is one of the major reasons the F2002 was sooooo good - Bridgestone made the tyres for Ferrari. That tactic would always work in the short term, but Michelin having two top teams and several others have more data to work with and their long term strategy will come up trumps.

That will make it a lot harder for Michael to win. Betcha he'll be close.....
Old 24 Jan 2004, 15:52 (Ref:849368)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be a shame if the weather is the only decisive factor, although wet races always tend to be fun. I'd prefer to see Kimi or Montoya establish themselves as true superstars, and above all I fele it is time for a new champion.

Michael is probably favourite, but only on the strength of his phenomenal talent and experience, and the concerns over how much support Montoya will get. The chances are more than 50% that he will be beaten though.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 05:52 (Ref:851863)   #23
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ow, BAR to Michelin? Bridgestone really are going to have a tough time now. So they have Sauber as their next team? A long jump on the ladder. Still, Massa with BS testing experiance plus the increasing synergy between Sauber and Ferrari may be useful, but I can't see it being as helpful as BAR Honda would have been if BS had of utilised them properly.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 02:00 (Ref:854541)   #24
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the Sauber and Ferrari are so similar the data will suit each other. The only bonus Bridgestone has in this is Minardi.Even ifthey are 3 seconds slower the balance and setup of the car will be primitive compared with Ferrari.Bridgestone would do well to work hard with them and get as much data as possible but that would mean a total rethink by bridgestone.What makes it even more interesting is the factory Ferrari ALMS team are running Michelin this year so is this Bridgestones last year?

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 29 Jan 2004 at 02:01.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 05:02 (Ref:854634)   #25
GT-Vixen
Rookie

GT-Vixen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Bridgestone pretty much making tyres for Ferrari I would think they will end up getting the edge, as Michelin have to cater for the rest of 'em? Always love a close championship, and Ferrari should be strong by the end of the season, so I have my money once again on Ferrari and MS.