Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 8 Mar 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3216103)   #26
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to here news like this i have been to nearly every Mallory meeting since 2006 hope they sort something out ..
Old 9 Mar 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3216306)   #27
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummingangel View Post
Do they water the track for the drifting IIRC Mondello do this to keep the tyre noise down
No they didn't, there hasn't been a drift day since the end of 2011.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3216476)   #28
Pescara Productions
Rookie

United Kingdom
The worst road in Leicestershire
Pescara Productions should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be worth spreading this around as much as possible: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46739
I personally don't think Mallory needs to operate as much as 160 days, as it did just fine from 1985 to about 2008, but since then it just seems to be dropping car events like mad. There are 4 car events this year not including the rallycross and sprints and that is pathetic. How many did they have in the nineties and what's with no BRSCC events in 2012 and 2013? Personally I think this is one of the things Mallory needs to improve. Bring back the long track event(I think the license expired for the oval so that will need to be renewed), bring back the Top Hat races(I loved these), Peter Morgan Memorial Races, Ma5da MX5's, Caterham's, Pickup Trucks and Production BMW's. These all produced fantastic racing and I know getting this to happen isn't easy, but it would be nice if they just tried. Sorry for the rant, does anyone know why the BRSCC don't go to Mallory anymore?
Old 9 Mar 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3216488)   #29
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescara Productions View Post
I think it would be worth spreading this around as much as possible: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46739
I personally don't think Mallory needs to operate as much as 160 days, as it did just fine from 1985 to about 2008, but since then it just seems to be dropping car events like mad. There are 4 car events this year not including the rallycross and sprints and that is pathetic. How many did they have in the nineties and what's with no BRSCC events in 2012 and 2013? Personally I think this is one of the things Mallory needs to improve. Bring back the long track event(I think the license expired for the oval so that will need to be renewed), bring back the Top Hat races(I loved these), Peter Morgan Memorial Races, Ma5da MX5's, Caterham's, Pickup Trucks and Production BMW's. These all produced fantastic racing and I know getting this to happen isn't easy, but it would be nice if they just tried. Sorry for the rant, does anyone know why the BRSCC don't go to Mallory anymore?
Brscc don't go to mallory since the barc took it over, same reason they don't visit thruxton etc...
You can't blame them for running as many days as possible, they are after all a business trying to survive... I also don't understand the comment a few posts back about the local house residents paying the council rates.. The business rates on mallory circuit probably huge. I wish the houses near my business payed my rates for me!!
Old 9 Mar 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3216506)   #30
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescara Productions View Post
Personally I think this is one of the things Mallory needs to improve. Bring back the long track event(I think the license expired for the oval so that will need to be renewed), bring back the Top Hat races(I loved these), Peter Morgan Memorial Races, Ma5da MX5's, Caterham's, Pickup Trucks and Production BMW's. These all produced fantastic racing and I know getting this to happen isn't easy, but it would be nice if they just tried. Sorry for the rant, does anyone know why the BRSCC don't go to Mallory anymore?
I suspect that the reason that the BRSCC don't have any meetings at Mallory either this year or the last (notwithstanding last year's HRDC meeting, which was run on a BRSCC permit), which post dates the BARC's acquisition of the operating company is due to falling competitor demand for the circuit, where compared to other venues. I suspect that the same reason also applies to the decline in meetings at the circuit by the likes of the 750MC, CSCC, HSCC and BARC.

By way of example, Production BMW now gets to race on the Silverstone, Brands and Donington GP circuits, which were not available to championship when they raced with the BARC; whilst the Masters competitions now have a greater focus on Europe.

I believe that obtaining a licence for the Oval may be easier said than done. Certainly, the circuit wasn't able to obtain one in 2010 when the original plan was for the Pick Ups to race on this configuration.

As a final point, no circuit gets to control meeting target as this is the responsibility of the organising club, as such short of promoting the meetings themselves (bearing in mind, that Mallory and the BARC are technically separate entities), there is not much the circuit can do to attract alternative competitions.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3216515)   #31
Pescara Productions
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I suspect that the reason that the BRSCC don't have any meetings at Mallory either this year or the last (notwithstanding last year's HRDC meeting, which was run on a BRSCC permit), which post dates the BARC's acquisition of the operating company is due to falling competitor demand for the circuit, where compared to other venues. I suspect that the same reason also applies to the decline in meetings at the circuit by the likes of the 750MC, CSCC, HSCC and BARC.
This in my opinion could be a bigger killer than the complaints about noise. I wonder then why competitor demand has dropped over the past ten years?
Old 10 Mar 2013, 06:01 (Ref:3216584)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because compared with other places it's small, tight and a bit Mickey Mouse? Because it has unforgiving banks very close to the edge of the track? Because racing is very expensive and grids are falling everywhere? Because access to the paddock is rubbish?

Not one single item is a killer, but if you lose a few drivers here and there for any one or all of the above then it soon adds up to falling grids.

I'm not saying that any of the above is justified or unjustified, but they are comments I've heard from drivers over the years.

Oh and in my comment above that was queried (someone pointed out quite rightly that MP does pay rates) perhaps I should have replaced the reference to "council tax payers" with "voters"! Your point accepted, but I hope mine still stands!
Old 10 Mar 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3216606)   #33
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Because compared with other places it's small, tight and a bit Mickey Mouse?
Whilst I cannot argue that it is small (although the track is longer than Brands Indy), it's hardly tight. It's the second-fastest circuit in the UK; a FF1600 can lap there at about 101mph.

It's a double-edged sword. People in the village are getting more restless (a mixture, I would imagine, of people who have lived there for year and recent arrivals) because the circuit is operating for more days than before - although Wednesday testing has been running weekly there for yonks. Coupled with the motocross track, this has resulted in a change to the level/frequency of noise in the village.

On the other hand, as a complete motorsport nut, I cannot see any problem with having an increase in engine noise (I'd love it). Moreover, the circuit needs to operate for more days and diversify in order to survive thanks to higher running costs. If it were to be closed down, the local area would not only lose the circuit, but also all the businesses that are housed on the industrial estate. The circuit plays a large part in the local economy of Kirkby Mallory/Leicester Forest East etc. As someone pointed out, I'd imagine their council rates are pretty high and the council wouldn't want to lose that income.

The problem with a lot of us is we're completely biased. If I moved next to a race circuit I would a) have done some research before (buyers don't seem to have any idea of some form of due diligence) and b) expect there to be noise. Yes, the change may be annoying to some, but I would expect it. Not far down the road is a village next to Caterpillar dealer. I bet that makes quite a lot of noise.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 11:57 (Ref:3216639)   #34
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I hear the argument for longer circuits a lot but at the end of the day does it really make that much difference when most races these days are for a duration of time not for the amount of laps so you still get your moneys worth. I have seen cars damaged there but also seen a lot damaged at other places like many peoples favourite Oulton Park which can be dangerous and Cadwell is another. If you want safest then race on the Silverstone National although I even managed a prang there! I will certainly try my best to support the CTCRC Festival event again there this year as its a lot of fun.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3216650)   #35
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I hear the argument for longer circuits a lot but at the end of the day does it really make that much difference when most races these days are for a duration of time not for the amount of laps so you still get your moneys worth. I have seen cars damaged there but also seen a lot damaged at other places like many peoples favourite Oulton Park which can be dangerous and Cadwell is another
I'm not a driver, so you might want to take the following with a pinch of salt (although I do a large amount of marshalling); however, I am aware that one of the reasons why some series have moved to MSVR over the last couple of years is the circuits/events that this club can offer. Presumably, a factor in such move is the wishes of the competitors. That said, it is down to personal preference and if I were to ever get a race licence, Mallory would be close to the top of my list as to circuits I would want to race at.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3216709)   #36
Pescara Productions
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Because compared with other places it's small, tight and a bit Mickey Mouse? Because it has unforgiving banks very close to the edge of the track? Because racing is very expensive and grids are falling everywhere? Because access to the paddock is rubbish?
The barriers have been moved back all around the outside of the circuit (although I personally think they've overdone it a Gerards), but the barriers on the inside could do with shifting back a bit and the circuit itself widening. The paddock access could be improved if they replaced the bridge with a tunnel as the barrier on the start line causes a squeeze at the start of races and has been involved in some serious accidents over the years (the one in 2000 with the Mini Miglia's was quite bad if I remember correctly) and also the barrier on the back straight that caused Steve Rothery's huge crash needs tweaking. Again I'm making this sound easy and it's not, especially with the current financial problems everyone is in, which unfortunately is the cause of a lack of entries sometimes, formula ford has suffered quite badly from this, so we just have to wait for that to get better. But little things like tarmacking the road around the circuit would be a great improvement as it was made from brick ends and general rubbish last year, the toilets on the outside of the circuit are appalling and a proper spectator fence needs to be installed as they took out the wooden ones when they widened the runoff. The circuit and it's facilities have great potential, but fulfilling that potential is a difficult task.

As for the CTCRC Festival Al, I should be there and may even get to film both days if all goes to plan. It was the one event in my schedule I missed last year and it looked brilliant, I don't intend to miss it again.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 06:38 (Ref:3216897)   #37
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have only just come cross this thread. From about 1956 to the day I left the UK, it was a favourite. Crowd numbers used to be huge - especially for many of the NSCC bank holiday meetings. "Bartons" used to run an excursion coach from the old Huntingdon St bus station in Nottingham (we had no family car!) and it was a real treat to go.

Once I had wheels of my own, I went even more often.

One of the attractions (then) was that with a camera with no telephoto lens, you could park yourself at the hairpin exit all afternoon and still get good pics.

Purely from a spectator's point of view, the short track meanst that you never have an empty track for long and lapping slower traffic adds to the excitement.

Silverstone? Aintree? Waste of time as you could never see much and you were too far away anyway. Thruxton? Croft? Not much better

Oulton had possibilities but I only spectated once, ditto Brands.

Donington, Cadwell and now Goodwood? Love them... They have character and charm, but at Mallory, you always felt as though you were involved and in that respect, it was unique. I haven't been for a few years though, but hope it does survive and I'll try and get there again in 2014.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3216901)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
There is some valid points in the last two posts, Mallory, Brands Indy and Lydden all have two things in common they are both short but at the same time offer excellent viewing so maybe the fall in spectators has a bearing on what's happening. Perhaps and by no coincidence the three circuits are probably not the drivers favourites either although I have to say as a driver who also likes to spectate on the day they are ok with me.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3216916)   #39
MMC Andy
Racer

England
Newmarket
MMC Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, agree with you about the accident frequency & type - speaking as someone who keeps incident statastics due to the nature of my job - the circuit is actually one of the smaller variables when it comes down to accident frequency.
The two biggest factors are type of car & the championship racing there e.g. you could put European Ferrari Challenge on the safest track in Europe (Paul Ricard) and you are still guaranteed accidents.

I personally love Mallory - it usually follows in the CSCC calendar after our Silverstone & Spa races - and the contast with those circuits and its unspolit, under development, 50's feel adds to its considerable charm. You
do get a bit dizzy after 40 minutes though!

andy
Old 11 Mar 2013, 10:41 (Ref:3216962)   #40
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
CSCC would happily go to Mallory & this is the first year we won't in a long time, but we normally like to run a two day meeting there and this year we couldn't. Partly, I think, because the cicuit is not running racing on two consecutive days (or at least limiting the events that it does) in an attempt to keep the noise nuisance down.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3216977)   #41
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we normally like to run a two day meeting there and this year we couldn't. Partly, I think, because the cicuit is not running racing on two consecutive days (or at least limiting the events that it does) in an attempt to keep the noise nuisance down.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're a bike club of course
Old 11 Mar 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3217103)   #42
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Circuits will soon be forced to 98dB like most hillclimbs have been for decades.

Kills the thrill of the engine noise, but keeps the racing venues open...

On a hill generally you have one or two cars on the track at one time.
Circuits see far more intensity for the majority of the race, and at a circuit like Mallory there are few gaps between runners.

To lose Mallory would be a crying shame, nice little circuit, just never been in the sun shine!

I wish it well in fending off these pressures.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3217134)   #43
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
One of the attractions (then) was that with a camera with no telephoto lens, you could park yourself at the hairpin exit all afternoon and still get good pics.
It still is one of the best place for snapping racing cars

Old 11 Mar 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3217160)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Circuits will soon be forced to 98dB like most hillclimbs have been for decades.
Says who?
Old 11 Mar 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3217202)   #45
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The MSA rules for production modified classes have had such a limit for about that time.
Racing classes bait more
I have hill climbed for 22 years and cannot ever recall an open exhaust car competing unless a special dispensation at Shelsley Walsh etc.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3217269)   #46
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just because it has been in hill-climbing doesn't mean that race circuits will have to follow.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3217369)   #47
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Exactly, I thought most Hill Climbs were held on public roads so maybe that's the difference.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3217448)   #48
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Exactly, I thought most Hill Climbs were held on public roads so maybe that's the difference.
Oh Al, you need to widen your knowledge....no, most hill climbs are up rich people's front drives! Get yourself along to one and compete.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3217451)   #49
911thillclimber
Veteran

A few hillclimbs are on closed public roads, Isle of Man and the Channel isles, but Uk hills are on dedicated tracks surrounded by expensive people in sleepy villages.

Not much different to situations surrounding Donnington, Mallory and a few others I bet.

Noise is a polution as much as smells and light.
It annoys a lot of people expecting a quiet weekend esp if you are not interested.
Model aeroplane flying sites have been lost to that irritaing buzzing noise all day long..etc.

My club has a hillclimb venue right in the middle of a village(!) and believe me noise IS AN ISSUE that involves the Environmental Agencies at times.
It has been a hillclimb for about 60 years. Makes no difference.

We STOP the meetings for Church Services, Weddings and such like for about an hour.

Such issues will only escallate and you will find silenced cars only allowed. No open piped car will meet 98dB (or less).

A standard road going 911 will not meet this at times...
Old 12 Mar 2013, 13:48 (Ref:3217481)   #50
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite what people say about NIMBYism etc, this appears to have less to do with that than it does to do with the operators operating within their planning permission constraints. If they are ignoring them (or if the new operators were not aware of them) then they are being irresponsible and threatening the continuance of motorsport for all of us, as well as their own business.

We all want motorsport to continue but we all have a responsibility to act within the law - we are a minority interest sport and an easy target for environmentalists etc; its up to us to protect our sport for the future by not bringing trouble upon ourselves.