Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 31 Oct 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1448883)   #1
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Greg Moore - six years ago today

six years already I always thought Greg Moore was something a little special when I use to catch the Indy Lights etc and then CART on UK TV. Working for a Mercedes related race team I often heard from Ilmor guys how special greg was.

Earlier this year, I moved to Vancouver, where Greg grew up and he's still remember here by many people. A real star who left us too early
Old 31 Oct 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1448892)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A real shame. With him I learnt to love Champ Car racing. We all know he would be a multiple champion now. He would probably have given Penske its 100th win...

6 years is a long time.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1448975)   #3
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a bad year it was 6 years ago. I will never forget where and when I found out the sad news.

Time flies.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1449062)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw it live.

One of the worst accidents ever - where you just knew there was no hope of a positive outcome.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1449163)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Greg Moore was a very fine driver indeed. Agree with Jordi; he seemed likely to achieve great results. My eldest son (KRT917) and I were great fans of his in CART and were always cheering him on to do well. We also saw that appalling accident, and, like K-b, felt the only too tragically realised forebodings. An incredibly sad day!

RIP, Greg.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1449716)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow, six years.

I only watched two races live that season, not having Sky. I managed to catch repeats on channel 5, but happened to go to my fathers to watch the Fontana 500.

It was a good day for my driver, but in the end was desperately overshadowed with sadness. I remember thinking Greg had no chance, he was practically thrown out of the car such was the violence. A horrible and undeserved end.

I distinctly remember how huge his loss was to everyone involved. Everybody loved him and there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end of the race, with the flags at half mast and the crowd in stunned silence.

Greg was a truly gritty and dedicated racer and would have almost certainly won the title with Penske immediately. He would have taken penskes 100th win at Homestead as well.

RIP Greg.

Also, please, let us not forget the tragic loss of Gonzalo Rodriguez just over a month before Greg at Laguna Seca, ironically driving a Penske. RIP Gonzalo.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1449800)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never saw that race which is a good thing although I wish badly I saw his races before his tragic accident so I got to saw him race.
And I agree with you Knowley that Greg would have been champion at Penske that's the even more sad part.

R.I.P never be forgotten.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1449811)   #8
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
R.I.P Greg Moore
Old 1 Nov 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1449919)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Like others, I watched that race live and had the same gut instinct that there was no way he could survive.

Tragic.

R.I.P Greg Moore
Old 1 Nov 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1449951)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As others have mentioned, I too saw the crash live and despite what my heart wanted to believe... I have seen racing since 1993 and this is the single most destructive accident I've ever seen live. The impact, the way it was shown, everything.

I think Gil de Ferran would have had a hard time to challenge for CART championships with Greg alongside. Greg, in a good car, was simply quicker.

We shall never forget how he did a "Zanardi on Zanardi" by going around the outside of the great Alex at Rio 98. Or how he won the first Handford device race against the Ganassi cars. Or his masterful domination of Homestead, where he was 6th, 4th, 2nd and 1st and scored 2 poles. Or how he in 1998 was both the youngest winner and the youngest pole winner in CART.

Then you add all this up to how great a guy he seemed to be, and I say seemed because I never had the chance to meet him, and you got a great driver and a great individual who will be remembered for years to come with the likes of Villeneuve, Senna or Bellof.