Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Drifting

Old 5 Apr 2006, 00:36 (Ref:1571017)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drifting is a sport like figure skating is.
sure it takes skill, talent, dedication and money...
but it is not a quantifiable thing.
I love it. I drift my 240 in the indusrtial parks all over Orange county California...and i am going early to see it on Saturday at the grandprix of longbeach....
butit certainly doesn't deserve its own forum, a drfit thread in road car should be good.
it sure isn't Big enough in scope to merit more.
what are we gonna talk about? set ups? smoke tyres? Tarzan Yamada, Gushi? D1, Formula D?
the rules? it is so embryonic in its development as an organized even t not enough people are interested, and even i like it but it is not the pinnacle- Speed GT, ChampCAr, IRL , Formula 1, GP2, A1GP, BTCC, WTCC, STCC, ALMS,LMES, FIA-HGT, these are real racing sports, and much is happening to discuss. Drifting....i dunno
i am not flaming, but you must understand, it is like a boxing,Judo,UFC forum talking about pro wrestling.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 03:13 (Ref:1571059)   #2
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<snip>

Drifting is a motorsport and forgive me if I am wrong but this is a motorsport forum I signed up too???

Drifting in Australia is probably the fast growing form of motorsport where young people who want to compete in the national series don't need rich parents. It is only going to get bigger.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1571378)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
My opinion of course but that just seems so pointless, the only benifactors must be the tyre companies, leaves me cold sorry but heck if thats what people want let them have a forum, no problem each to their own.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1571692)   #4
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of fun but I can't help thinking of teenagers in hoodies saying "yeah man" and "init"
Old 6 Apr 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1571942)   #5
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imho it is sort of a sport, a bit like syncronised swimming its technical and looks pretty but has got nothing to do with speed, i dont want to see it in the racing forum because its simply isn't, but neither does it belong in road forum, doesn't really fit in with trackday but thats probably closer to where it should go under the existing 10/10 setup,

that said i dont see why it shouldn't be given a chance of its own forum, if it doesn't get used it can be closed down again, but i suspect that once word gets out that there is somewhere on here to disguss it it will see lots of action, whatever we think of drifting it is car based and is'nt going to go away just because most of us racers dont like it.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 6 Apr 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1571962)   #6
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"What colour neon lights should I put under my car?"
Old 6 Apr 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1572004)   #7
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
"What colour neon lights should I put under my car?"
Which ever ones make it go fastest, obviously!
Old 6 Apr 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1572049)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
My opinion of course but that just seems so pointless...
Well, yes, from a constructive perspective, it is utterly pointless...but, from that point of view, the rest of motorsport doesn't really serve a purpose either...

I was watching Speed the other day, as I am prone to doing, in the hope of coming across school bus racing, which is interesting, but I digress, the point is I came across a programme showing a round of/demonstration by some US based drifting championship.

I thorougly enjoyed it, and would absolutely love to go and see it live. Vroom-vroom-squeel-squeel and what not I find most entertaining. I think that is a distinction, though, I do tend to view it more from an entertainment perspective rather than sport. Not that I deny the skill involved, for there undoubtedly is that. Perhaps in time, as I get to understand the complexities of the judging mechanisms, and what not, I will end up viewing it as a fully fledged sport.

When push comes to shove, I am, in essence, ambivalent regarding a separate forum being set-up: however, I would happily see it given a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
What is sad, is that most of the kids who follow it drive FWD cars..... aren't they missing something?
Higher insurance premiums, .
Old 6 Apr 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1572061)   #9
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Higher insurance premiums, .
You mean £3250pa TPF&T for Denis' ol' Toyota Corrolla RWD that would drift like billy-o instead of £3245pa TPF&T for that 1.2Clio with 24" wheels, more plastic than the Toys R Us kiddies toys section, and a stereo soooo loud that when turned up, the alternator almost stalls the engine, and a hoooooge ironing board rear wing that offers lift instead of downforce?

I'll put a burberry cap on and take the Clio. Innit. yeah?

Rob.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1572063)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I was more thinking the increased chance of accidents!
Old 6 Apr 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1572119)   #11
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
You mean £3250pa TPF&T for Denis' ol' Toyota Corrolla RWD that would drift like billy-o instead of £3245pa TPF&T for that 1.2Clio with 24" wheels, more plastic than the Toys R Us kiddies toys section, and a stereo soooo loud that when turned up, the alternator almost stalls the engine, and a hoooooge ironing board rear wing that offers lift instead of downforce?

I'll put a burberry cap on and take the Clio. Innit. yeah?

Rob.
My car is so old that they could get a limited mileage classic car policy! Cheap as chips and with a standard CWP it will do over 150MPH.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1572661)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Well, yes, from a constructive perspective, it is utterly pointless...but, from that point of view, the rest of motorsport doesn't really serve a purpose either...
Well yes it does, you get to beat (or be beaten) by other competors, what do you get form this? It is athe same as powerboating and skiing, I have mates who have boats but once you have gunned it up and don the bay a few times it becomes boring, no competitive element, now if you were racing said powerboats that would be different.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 03:44 (Ref:1572772)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
But in the powersliding championships they are competing...they are trying to outscore their opponents.

Anyway, competition or otherwise, I cannot agree that motorsport, of any form, really serves any constructive purpose (at least, not in an direct sense).

It is great, and I love it, but that is a different matter.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 06:49 (Ref:1572827)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Wow, this is fascinating. I can picture all you guys with pipes and wearing tweed caps and going "harrrumph"

The bottom line is that drifting is a competitive sport. Like just about every competitive sport in the world, it's based on a number of things, not least of which is skill.

And like just about every competitive sport in the world, it serves no useful purpose.

So like just about every competitive sport in the world, that brings it down to enjoyment for the competitor and entertainment for the fans. Since it obviously has that, I don't see the problem.

It's not something I find particularly entertaining, but the amount of spectators that these kind of events get pretty much speaks for itself in a time when your average club race meeting is lucky to get a couple of hundred people through the gate. It's also rapidly attracting large sponsorship deals as a result.

A forward thinking view would be looking at having a drifting round included in a normal race meeting in order to bring in new spectators who may then become interested in the circuit racing as well - and bring the sponsors in with them.....
Old 7 Apr 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1572829)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Come down to Brands on the 15th April and I will show you how a 500 + bhp rear wheel drive Camaro can really light up the tyres, no on second thoughts those Kumhos cost me £140 each :-(.

Thing is with this 'competitive' sport as opposed to racing, its like comparing Ice Dancing with speed skating. In the later it is simply down to the guy who skates the fastest without falling over in dancing it is at the whim of the judges and we have all seen over the years how biase they can be. A race, any type of race, in my opinion is not pointless as it shows who is the superior on the day, this lark just shows who has the most BHP in their rear wheel drive car. Also with the green lobby breathing down our necks this 'sport' does nothing to applease the Greens. You could say 'so what' but if and when they eventually close us down it will be a different story.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 07:02 (Ref:1572831)   #16
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
WWE wrestling pulls in huge crowds and features hugely talented athletes/actors.

It still isn't a sport though, it's entertainment and has it's place.

In the end a massive proportion of spectators want to see spectacular driving, collisions and crashes. Perhaps we just need to remove the non-contact element of motor racing to keep them happy? And maybe nominate one person per race to drive into a wall? And introduce a regulation only allowing huge V8's and 155 rear tyres (should keep Al and Rob happy!)?
Old 7 Apr 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1572843)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Thing is with this 'competitive' sport as opposed to racing, its like comparing Ice Dancing with speed skating. In the later it is simply down to the guy who skates the fastest without falling over in dancing it is at the whim of the judges and we have all seen over the years how biase they can be. A race, any type of race, in my opinion is not pointless as it shows who is the superior on the day, this lark just shows who has the most BHP in their rear wheel drive car. Also with the green lobby breathing down our necks this 'sport' does nothing to applease the Greens. You could say 'so what' but if and when they eventually close us down it will be a different story.
A race is totally pointless in the overall scheme of things. Who cares who is faster? Only the people competing and the fans. This is the whole point. Whether it's cars going vroom or 11 men in shorts chasing after a small spherical object, any sport, no matter what it is or what the format is, is pointless. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it though, since the point of it is enjoyment.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 07:46 (Ref:1572861)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A race, any type of race, in my opinion is not pointless as it shows who is the superior on the day..
or in some cases, who has the biggest cheque book / most BHP.

That said, I agree with you about drifting. I don't understand the point.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1572868)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Not always about money although this sport usually is of couses, because I said any race even those in field and track running events and all you need there is determination and of course the right physical build. Maybe a personal thing but I can always watch a race no matter what it is, but anything that is 'judged' by a panel of so called experts always seems a bit dodgy to me althogh I will agree like all these type of events they have entertainment value if you are into them so I won't knock them too much.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1587922)   #20
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
there's no way it should be classed as a motor sport, in the uk best left to a bunch of hoodies in old nissans with neon lights in macdonalds car parks.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1587996)   #21
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And yet "Auto Testing" which (from the ones I've seen) consists of doing handbrake turns in a cut-down mini through a course of cones is considered a motor sport??
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1588083)   #22
Quannie
Rookie

Australia-Aboriginal
"Camp Sovereignty" - Kings Domain
Quannie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What sort of sport should it be classified as? Golf?
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1588089)   #23
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As far as I'm concerned, if it's got a petrol engine, someone driving on or in it, it's officially organised and has an element of competition then it's a motor-sport. And YES, that does mean that things like power-boat racing are motorsports, certainly for the purposes of discussion on this forum.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1588095)   #24
Quannie
Rookie

Australia-Aboriginal
"Camp Sovereignty" - Kings Domain
Quannie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Magnet, I like your way of thinking, because I agree 100%
Old 25 Apr 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1594332)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I do too. One modification I would make, though, is that the engine need not necessarily be a petrol one.