Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Mar 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2659516)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fu-jits-who?

With the Clipsal 500 being over for another year, it seems that the "ugly little sister" of the Main Game was once again given the out-house to operate from at one of V8 Supercars biggest events.

As reports filter in about the Fu-jits-who Series experience, it seems that for what may be the 3rd year running the conditions, planning, and execution (no pun intended) were again a second-rate situation.

Now, the Fu-jits-who Series isn't the main act, but it is the main support class, and the Category Manager was working overtime by all accounts across the weekend to try and extract the necessary payment required from many competitors to run the 2010 Series. Firstly, you have to receive value for money before parting with required entry funds.

This is all fine and dandy as long as you are happy to work on a V8 Supercar in a dust bowl, despite repeat requests to various people for a water truck to wet down the road. But you are Fu-jits-who and we can't hear you....or seemingly so, anyway.

Much kudos then to the Main Series team owner for visiting his Fu-jits-who operation to see how everything was going. Upon seeing the out-house first-hand, he was less than impressed. Low and behold, not 30 minutes later there happens to be a water truck wetting down ground to settle the dust. Respect, or is that fear, can be great motivator it seems. Stand by for an apology letter, apparently.

Only part way through the weekend, according to another report, did the driver's names appear above all of the "garages" in the Fu-jits-who Series as well. Oh boy, that's a solid showing of support for the main support class - a class that is trying to grow.

Reduced to 12 cars for Queensland Raceway seems to be the word as at least 3 competitors feel that they won't be back after their Clipsal out-house experience. Now, credit where it is due, and some of these competitors could be using the experience as an excuse for a lack of dollars, but no doubt a good Category Manager will be ringing around to see how the event went for everyone and to provide a reminder for Queensland entries to try and bolster the numbers.

Eventually, someone must start asking some questions, surely. Fu-jits-who people will read this without doubt, and they must wonder where their Fu-jits-who sponsorship dollars must go. Some of them may be less than tickled pink about the whole situation, which is somewhat ironic as that may indeed help to provide the biggest clue. If the Fu-jits-who Series is to flourish and prosper, then maybe it needs to be treated a bit better and showcased more on TV, perhaps cycling drivers through V8Xtra to gain them and their sponsors some valuable TV time, which doesn't seem too forthcoming in the "highlights packages" that constitute the Fu-jits-who Series TV coverage.
"This used to be a fun house, but now it's full of (evil) clowns". Let's not hope that it is time to start the countdown for the Fu-jits-who Series - a series that has actually helped to launch many of the careers of existing V8 Supercar drivers.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 03:49 (Ref:2659597)   #2
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You hit the nail on the head JDI!

Your forgot to mention the planning and the "Saturday day off"
I didnt mind it cause it ment that after being flogged out having 4 sessions (including rides) in a day we didnt even turn a wheel on Saturday. My team owner didnt appreciate it so much though having to pay an extra nights accom for the whole team and then pay for more expensive Sunday (compared to Saturday) flights out for us all, instead of winding us up on Saturday like previous years.

Too smart by half

Dont even start on the 11th hour decision to let Paul Morris Run without practice or qualifying!?!?!?!?!
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2659745)   #3
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which ever way you look at it, while it is run as a forgotten category by VESA, it will mainly limit itself to well funded individuals (owners/drivers) which in turn is determined by the state of the economy.

VESA is being shown a clean pair of heals by UTES in how to run a support category.

The IRONY is that Fujitsu Series get FAR WORSE conditions from VESA at every event, than the main game V8's face at Barbagallo. If VESA were true to their own word, the Fujitsu's would be pulled until this was corrected.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2659754)   #4
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the official Supercar web site is any guide, the Fujitsu series just doesn't rate. You have to look hard to find it and, so far as I know, there are STILL no photos of the Clipsal event. The information is out of date and the whole thing suggests no one at Supercar land gives a toss.

Don't know about the series being for well funded individuals, it seems to be heading in the direction of a plaything for the main game teams (FPR, Walkinshaw, PMM, T8), on the basis that the privateers can go play in the third string Shannons series.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2660066)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ351 View Post
You hit the nail on the head JDI!

Your forgot to mention the planning and the "Saturday day off"
I didnt mind it cause it ment that after being flogged out having 4 sessions (including rides) in a day we didnt even turn a wheel on Saturday. My team owner didnt appreciate it so much though having to pay an extra nights accom for the whole team and then pay for more expensive Sunday (compared to Saturday) flights out for us all, instead of winding us up on Saturday like previous years.

Too smart by half

Dont even start on the 11th hour decision to let Paul Morris Run without practice or qualifying!?!?!?!?!
As I said, I wasn't there so I am relying on what I was told, but there was a lot of unhappiness by all accounts.

Saturday off sounds odd, but maybe it's a clever trick to get more V8 Supercar action in on the biggest day?

How much punting was there in the "12th Hour"?

A phone call from a bloke just now pointed out something weird....which honestly wasn't planned....look at the first letter of each paragraph - He rang me to give a wind up about cunningness I wasn't even aware of. Oh dear
Old 25 Mar 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2660102)   #6
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on JDI, it shouldn't surpirse anyone that the upper echelon of V8SCA has their off the ball, empire building at the highest level
Old 26 Mar 2010, 01:36 (Ref:2660190)   #7
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60 View Post
If the official Supercar web site is any guide, the Fujitsu series just doesn't rate. You have to look hard to find it and, so far as I know, there are STILL no photos of the Clipsal event. The information is out of date and the whole thing suggests no one at Supercar land gives a toss.

Don't know about the series being for well funded individuals, it seems to be heading in the direction of a plaything for the main game teams (FPR, Walkinshaw, PMM, T8), on the basis that the privateers can go play in the third string Shannons series.
pete, in all seriousness, the privateers probably should think about then Shannons as a viable alternative.
More track time, better facilities (not all taken by the "big boys") and a series that is by all accounts quite welcoming to the class of car.

Probably cheaper too, I'd be guessing ?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 02:52 (Ref:2660208)   #8
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheaper to be competitive, probably not much cheaper to actually run.

The facilities and attitude towards the series at Clipsal this year has been no different to that in previous years. I'm staggered that anyone would actually put money into this class.
"There is no need to do massively expensive windtunnel testing, or all the other things that they do to get the extra second or two." - Richard Branson, on the eve of the 2010 season. Good luck Timo, you'll need it.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 05:53 (Ref:2660236)   #9
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

We will get a better idea of VESAs plans Monday, spin & all, when the silhouette car plans are released.
Potentially the need to flog the current stock will lead to a higher profile for level #1 handmedowns !

JDI, any idea who was prepared to commit to the series?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2660293)   #10
Just Do It!
Veteran

Who was prepared to commit to the series?? I'm either really tired or I've missed something, or both....
Old 2 Apr 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2665354)   #11
Donnaracer
Rookie

Donnaracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Come on, the Fujitsu guys want to be respected a bit....surely that is not much to ask...

Let's make this painfully clear, as told by TC and many others verbally on many occasions, the Fujitsu series is a used car lot for VESA - and that is all it will ever be.

They could not give a toss of the conditions, the hours worked, the exposure gained or not gained by the series. The only thing that matters, is that the main series teams have somewhere to off load cars and parts.

Thats all there is to it. And at close to a million dollars a season to run at the front, it is now becoming ridiculous.

Whenever anyone has tried to get VESA to show some love for the Fujitsu series they have fallen flat on their face.

Its a shame, because more often than not, it can provide great racing.

I agree with a couple of posters here who have said that they should have the courage of their convictions and the next time things at the track are not up to scratch, or let me correct this - NOT WHAT THEY PAID FOR, then they should line the cars up on the grid for one of their races before a main series race, then walk off and leave them there until certain promises are made in writing.

Would be a great way to show VESA who the whole show really hinges on, the competitors - not the other way around.

But sadly, the bum lickers within every group will spoil any sort of standing for themselves, but if you let yourself get banged without lubrication once, it will just happen again and again....