Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:46 (Ref:531268)   #1
RubberD
Racer

RubberD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Ralf overtake 2 cars in one move?

Was I dreaming or did it happen? After the Dutch TV thingy I don't know if what I saw actually happened

For a guy was said unable to pass the salt in the table he made one of the best passsing moves of the race. Keep it up.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:49 (Ref:531272)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it was three. Two of them were Renaults (?).
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:54 (Ref:531279)   #3
RubberD
Racer

Juan's move on Panis was great too.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:59 (Ref:531288)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, we're going to see this happening very often from now on...
Old 10 Mar 2003, 13:26 (Ref:531317)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by RubberD
Juan's move on Panis was great too.
And Kimi/Mickey-the-shoe.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 13:34 (Ref:531336)   #6
RubberD
Racer

That was a good defending move. I great one I should add.

If you believe what the Dutch TV said then it JV's Machiavellian move on Butty the best move by far
Old 10 Mar 2003, 16:19 (Ref:531595)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RS passed two cars that were struggling for grip. He then settled into he typical form and followed a slower Renault all the way to the races end.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 21:39 (Ref:532050)   #8
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
RS passed two cars that were struggling for grip. He then settled into he typical form and followed a slower Renault all the way to the races end.

Did the two cars he passed have wet or drys on? I only saw him passing one car in the first couple of laps (that's all I remember at least) so they must have had dry tyres.

Maybe Ralf's afraid to pass Renault's because they used to supply Williams with engines and Frank may need Renault again
Old 10 Mar 2003, 21:45 (Ref:532060)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was on drys that explains a lot I think, still though good move by Ralf. Shame about the spin and bad pitstop.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 21:57 (Ref:532076)   #10
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan Pablo managed to overtake one Williams and one McLaren last year (Canada). Can you tell me who was/were Ralf's victim(s) last weekend ?
Old 10 Mar 2003, 22:55 (Ref:532149)   #11
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were they both in the pits?
Old 10 Mar 2003, 22:59 (Ref:532153)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was an excellent move by Ralf..The pass of the race actually. He overtook a lot of cars and got up to 3rd - he was looking good but as usual Williams screwed him in the pits and he lost another 10 odd seconds with that spin - plus he also lost time when they brought him in at the same time as Montoya. Another moronic move by the pit wall.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 02:47 (Ref:532342)   #13
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Ralf was not to blame for any of the things that happend to him?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 06:49 (Ref:532405)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
He was probably as culpable for being out of the top six as his team mate was for throwing the race away but then you may think otherwise if you want. He did pass three cars in one move. A Sauber and two Renaults.

Thus giving anybody who cares to see a good example of how he can overtake.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 09:07 (Ref:532469)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! One move makes him a great overtaker now!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 10:42 (Ref:532513)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope its just a counterpoint to the "he can't overtake at all" argumants. But yes in terms of a spectacle we won't see three in one go too often.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 15:42 (Ref:532770)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Overtaking cars that have the wrong tyres and inferior amchinery is not all that amazing. When push came to shove he couldn't pass Alonso, and that's the real criticism.

If Ralf is as responsible for not finishing in the top 6 as Juan is for not winning, who does that mean had the better weekend?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 15:46 (Ref:532774)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Boots. Itss a theory and if you want to be derogatory fine. He still didn't throw a certain win away. That is a crime.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 15:58 (Ref:532784)   #19
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Boots. Itss a theory and if you want to be derogatory fine. He still didn't throw a certain win away. That is a crime.
Being a Ralf's supporter is a crime... (just kidding Pete)
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:06 (Ref:532795)   #20
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Ralf threw any possibility of being even close to a win away by being thoroughly average, worse even, all weekend. The new rules will put drivers in the thick of the action - the men will come through and the boys will fade away.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:13 (Ref:532802)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Granted. And I'm not a fan. I do think he can do better but he's the one with more wins than his superstar mate.

He had a bad weekend, he overtook a lot of cars its just that the three at once move was good. It was under braking and he had to turn the wheel at least twice whilst on the brakes. It was damp and maybe the other cars were on duff tyres but he did it.

He also held his brother back just before his bad pitstop. So all-in-all a not bad performance and can definitely do better.

Meanwhile Monty was doing so well and I was hoping he'd actually achieve when he so obviously (to me anyway) cracked under pressure. Which is something we discussed at length last year. So no change there then.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:14 (Ref:532804)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And as expected Ralf has come out in camp number 2. The move, as others have already said, was on three cars on wet tyres while Ralf was on slicks. Therefore he had better grip far more grip through the sweeping corner preceeding it and far better braking into the chicane All he had to do drive round them, what's great about that?

Last edited by Damon; 11 Mar 2003 at 16:19.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:16 (Ref:532806)   #23
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to admit Ralf was a little unlucky. But you make your own luck - maybe if he'd qualified better than 15th he wouldn't have been in the wrong place at the wrong time quite so often...
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:19 (Ref:532807)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
And what's great about that?
Try it sometime.

And please read what you wrote. "He drove round them". Actually he "threaded a needle" as I recall and therefore was not braking in a straight line so it wasn't as straightforward as you would like to say.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 16:21 (Ref:532809)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've overtaken three backmarkers in a thunderkart doing the best part of 80mph, on slicks, in the pouring rain, and then we where all in the same boat grip wise.