Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Jun 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3738108)   #2651
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It's not like Dyson was grenading the previous version of the engine every weekend.

Worth noting there is the possibility of more LMP1-P cars than DPi next year.
It's funny that any time a DPi effort is rumored it's to be taken with a grain of salt because these writers are just wishful-thinking rumormongers, but each P1 Privateer that's rumored is set in stone and 100% going to happen because reasons.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3738116)   #2652
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
It's funny that any time a DPi effort is rumored it's to be taken with a grain of salt because these writers are just wishful-thinking rumormongers, but each P1 Privateer that's rumored is set in stone and 100% going to happen because reasons.
I kinda thought it was the other way around. We talk like Honda is 100% confirmed, and that Bentley was only a whisper away, but nobody ever believes a P1 car until it's on the grid.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3738159)   #2653
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe it's because orders have been confirmed for LMP1 customer cars, while the various VAG to DPI rumors have been shot down several times. Honda/HPD will probably happen if everything aligns next season. But VAG to DPI, not a chance right now, not until I see a Volkswagen Group company put out a press release that it's happening.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:21 (Ref:3738174)   #2654
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
But let's go back to DPi regulations. Since they can't run in Le Mans in their current guise
Ah but they can, they can be entered in LMP1 with very little modification. Just not as a manufacturer, which is why I took ESM as example. They don't have to change a thing about the car itself, just the ECU as far as I know.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3738175)   #2655
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's not like Dyson was grenading the previous version of the engine every weekend.

Worth noting there is the possibility of more LMP1-P cars than DPi next year.
Maybe not every week, but every other week is not too far off. There is quite the history of AER four bangers, MZRR based or not, going up in smoke frequently. We used to run a pool of what lap the #16 and #20 would have their respective turbo fires.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3738185)   #2656
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Maybe not every week, but every other week is not too far off. There is quite the history of AER four bangers, MZRR based or not, going up in smoke frequently. We used to run a pool of what lap the #16 and #20 would have their respective turbo fires.
Accurate.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:22 (Ref:3738193)   #2657
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
Ah but they can, they can be entered in LMP1 with very little modification. Just not as a manufacturer, which is why I took ESM as example. They don't have to change a thing about the car itself, just the ECU as far as I know.
I have the sensation that if ESM goes to LMP1-P with its DPI will have several modifications:

*They should lower the weight to 830 kg
*Probably will change the current V6 by the same Cosworth using for the byKolles, to save weight and have better power under fuel consumption regulations.
*They must modify the suspension to use the Dunlop or Michelin
*And surely some new aerodynamic package
Old 2 Jun 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3738216)   #2658
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I have the sensation that if ESM goes to LMP1-P with its DPI will have several modifications:

*They should lower the weight to 830 kg
*Probably will change the current V6 by the same Cosworth using for the byKolles, to save weight and have better power under fuel consumption regulations.
*They must modify the suspension to use the Dunlop or Michelin
*And surely some new aerodynamic package
Well I said they could enter, not that they would be competitive
Old 3 Jun 2017, 09:59 (Ref:3738297)   #2659
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If ESM wants those modifications to happen in order to join LMP1-P in Le Mans, then Onroak will have to pull resources on making a competitive LMP1 package such as suspension and bodywork.
Old 4 Jun 2017, 04:21 (Ref:3738448)   #2660
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm hearing cooler talk that the Penske/HPD Dpi project is in trouble because they will not race if there is no chance to win.

BOP problem!!!

NA engines needs max of 5.0L.(6.2L is so going overkill like Ford did with their GT40 7.0L at Le Mans)

But Penske will not rock the boat on BOP because they are a GM supplier/user.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3738775)   #2661
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
I'm hearing cooler talk that the Penske/HPD Dpi project is in trouble because they will not race if there is no chance to win.

BOP problem!!!

NA engines needs max of 5.0L.(6.2L is so going overkill like Ford did with their GT40 7.0L at Le Mans)

The Penske Porsche program in 2009 was hindered by BoP nightmares in the Rolex Series, so RP and gang have said publicly they won't tolerate any of that nonsense.

Let's get this straight, Cadillac is head and shoulders better than Mazda and the private Nissan effort. And WTR is the best team in IMSA right now. Having Honda come in with a package that will be better sorted to challenge the Caddy, combined with a Penske-led program means the Cadillacs are in for stiff competition.

A 5.0L displacement limit did nothing to help the Porsche flat-6 in Daytona Prototype back in the day. The Ford, BMW, and Chevy powerplants all out-torqued the Porsche motor. Grand-Am didn't help things with the BoP in my opinion, because they didn't want a fair weather Penske Porsche effort to upset the apple cart of consistently good racing the long standing DP owners and manufacturers provided.

Chris
Old 5 Jun 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3738791)   #2662
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

BOP problem!!!

Balancing engines on displacement is a slippery slope that doesn't work. Lowering the capacity of the GM engines will not achieve the results you are wanting... in fact it won't change anything. They use the same stock block in the Callaway GT3 cars and that doesn't seem to be an "unfair" advantage in Europe. What is the problem here?

I'm sorry you don't like WTR as I'm not a fan myself. I wasn't a fan of Audi either. That's no reason to call for rule changes just because you don't like the outcome of the races.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3738824)   #2663
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Balancing engines on displacement is a slippery slope that doesn't work. Lowering the capacity of the GM engines will not achieve the results you are wanting... in fact it won't change anything. They use the same stock block in the Callaway GT3 cars and that doesn't seem to be an "unfair" advantage in Europe. What is the problem here?

I'm sorry you don't like WTR as I'm not a fan myself. I wasn't a fan of Audi either. That's no reason to call for rule changes just because you don't like the outcome of the races.
It is always hard to separate the chassis from the engine e from the team and driver's in this sort of discussion. But I will submit for evidence that at the le mans test day the Dallara chassis was decidedly mid pack compared to the rest of the field with the same engine. Of course there are testing and car experience considerations here, but I'm just throwing that tid bit out there.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3738836)   #2664
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Did the DPi version of the Dallara run first or did the lmp2 version Dallara run first? It seems they got it right (Cadillac) while Dallara (no one, really) got it right in lmp2 compared to the Oreca.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3738839)   #2665
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In the real world to compete with the GM NA 6.2L V8 you would need a 4.0L min. high CR V8 with low boost with IMSA/FIA BOP.

With todays BOP the turbo engines have the extra handicap of rev range boost control.TAKE THAT AWAY and then GM would crying about BOP because then the little turbo engines could compete coming out of the corners.(but GM's motor would still have bullet proof reliability)

HPD will be in better shape than Mazda because their engine will be 3.5L and the engine was designed to be a racing engine from day one.(that is why it is so expensive.......$75,000 USD for it on Acura parts order sheet)
Old 5 Jun 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3738846)   #2666
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
In the real world to compete with the GM NA 6.2L V8 you would need a 4.0L min. high CR V8 with low boost with IMSA/FIA BOP.

With todays BOP the turbo engines have the extra handicap of rev range boost control.TAKE THAT AWAY and then GM would crying about BOP because then the little turbo engines could compete coming out of the corners.(but GM's motor would still have bullet proof reliability)

HPD will be in better shape than Mazda because their engine will be 3.5L and the engine was designed to be a racing engine from day one.(that is why it is so expensive.......$75,000 USD for it on Acura parts order sheet)
The Mazda MZR-R, or whatever they call it nowadays, is a purpose-built AER race motor.

Chris
Old 5 Jun 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3738860)   #2667
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The high downforce Dallara is pretty decent. It's run very well in ELMS. The low downforce version appears to be a lemon. It's been said it doesn't feel connected to the road at all.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3738874)   #2668
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wanted to throw out there that optimized understanding of the Continental tire also is crucial to contending for championships in the IMSA series. The four chassis constructors for P2 build their product with open tires in mind (better tires at that). Here in the States, it's one tire. Inferior at that. BoP aside, it's why the Daytona Prototypes held an edge over the lmp2s. The Cadillac DPi teams and Dallara had the jump on constructing for the new DPi era. I believe that building specifically for that tire in mind and the miles and hours of testing has contributed to the success of the Caddie teams
Old 5 Jun 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3738879)   #2669
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It is always hard to separate the chassis from the engine e from the team and driver's in this sort of discussion. But I will submit for evidence that at the le mans test day the Dallara chassis was decidedly mid pack compared to the rest of the field with the same engine. Of course there are testing and car experience considerations here, but I'm just throwing that tid bit out there.
I would expect this kind of post out of a clearly biased Mazda fan. The Dallara was fastest on the straits though... and by a strangely high margin too.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3738887)   #2670
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
WTR spanking AXR aside it's still the case that Cadillacs have finished in 11 out of 15 podium positions this year and most of the exceptions have come from huge blatant driving or strategy errors.

We'll never know but it doesn't look good for BoP when the worst Cadillac is miles behind the best and still ahead of anything else.
Old 5 Jun 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3738889)   #2671
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:

We'll never know but it doesn't look good for BoP when the worst Cadillac is miles behind the best and still ahead of anything else.
...if only that were true.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3739024)   #2672
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The high downforce Dallara is pretty decent. It's run very well in ELMS. The low downforce version appears to be a lemon. It's been said it doesn't feel connected to the road at all.
Quote:
The Dallara was fastest on the straits though... and by a strangely high margin too.
I will l just leave those two juxtaposed and let others sort it out.

I will say this: I’d feel a lot more sanguine about eh success of a Penske DPi venture if it was being run by a team with some racing history. A little experience, you know?

My feeling is that AXR was, from the start, a businessman’s team. Born from the wreckage of other efforts with leftover Brumos bits, the team was run like a business by a businessman from Day One. And pretty much had success from Day One as well.

WTR started as a an old racer’s team—Wayne Taylor decided he could drive for himself better than he could listen to other people telling him what to do, so he scraped up some cash and went to the track. Over time the team has reached the same level of professionalism as AXR—and with GM factory guidance, has now become dominant.

You can see why I would worry for the fate of a small-time, enthusiasts’ team like Penske.

As has been mentioned, Grand-Am’s ham-handed emasculation of Porsche after Hurley Heywood’s win in whatever year (2007-8-9? I cannot spell Google) is not going to be forgotten—ever. Roger will make sure he gets a fair fight and he is smart enough to pick the right tool for the job.

My worry is whether IMSA has the courage to invite a player like Roger Penske into the fold. We could be watching “The Penske-IMSA Sports Car Challenge Series” in two or three years—I think that is IMSA’s fear.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 15:44 (Ref:3739030)   #2673
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I will l just leave those two juxtaposed and let others sort it out.

I will say this: I’d feel a lot more sanguine about eh success of a Penske DPi venture if it was being run by a team with some racing history. A little experience, you know?

My feeling is that AXR was, from the start, a businessman’s team. Born from the wreckage of other efforts with leftover Brumos bits, the team was run like a business by a businessman from Day One. And pretty much had success from Day One as well.

WTR started as a an old racer’s team—Wayne Taylor decided he could drive for himself better than he could listen to other people telling him what to do, so he scraped up some cash and went to the track. Over time the team has reached the same level of professionalism as AXR—and with GM factory guidance, has now become dominant.

You can see why I would worry for the fate of a small-time, enthusiasts’ team like Penske.

As has been mentioned, Grand-Am’s ham-handed emasculation of Porsche after Hurley Heywood’s win in whatever year (2007-8-9? I cannot spell Google) is not going to be forgotten—ever. Roger will make sure he gets a fair fight and he is smart enough to pick the right tool for the job.

My worry is whether IMSA has the courage to invite a player like Roger Penske into the fold. We could be watching “The Penske-IMSA Sports Car Challenge Series” in two or three years—I think that is IMSA’s fear.
what
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3739062)   #2674
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
what
I second that sentiment
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3739068)   #2675
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe that was terrible tongue in cheek statement there.