Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2002, 00:08 (Ref:390280)   #1
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why no "tobaccie" ads at USGP?

I couldn't help but notice in the land of Winston Cup racing and the Marlboro Man that the tobacco ads on the cars were covered up or modified. Is this an Indy thing or something else I missed?
Old 28 Sep 2002, 00:23 (Ref:390285)   #2
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is because tobacco companies can only sponsor one series in a country. Phillip Morris (Marlboro) sponsor Penske in the IRL so Ferrari have to cover their ads for Indy. I'm not sure about the rest of them but I'm sure it's a similar story
Old 28 Sep 2002, 00:24 (Ref:390287)   #3
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The US laws are that a tobacco company can only advertise in 1 sporting event/series. Marlboro can't advertise because they sponsor the Penske team in IRL. West can advertise, because they're basically unknown in the US and don't advertise anywhere else. Mild Seven can advertise (I think), and I'm pretty sure that B&H and Luckies can't.

Last edited by Epsilon; 28 Sep 2002 at 00:25.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 00:53 (Ref:390295)   #4
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks!

What a stupid law, I'm sure the kiddies urge to fire up a butt will cease immediately once they see that white rear wing on the rear of the Ferraris.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 01:35 (Ref:390304)   #5
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, that's how the tobacco makers try to defend their right to advertise. The goal of tobacco advertising is not to create new smokers, but to alter the brand loyalty of existing smokers. (said in some book I haven't read in ages)
Old 28 Sep 2002, 02:13 (Ref:390313)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know... I thought that way for a while, but after seeing little enquiring at booths at Molson Indy Toronto that were selling Player's cigarettes, with big Players signs like on the cars, I'm not so sure...

Kids see the names on the cars, and then they see the same names on boxes of something and want to try whatever it is in that box...

I'm not saying I'm anti-tobacco ads in racing, I'm just saying that some things really make you think.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Sep 2002, 03:11 (Ref:390326)   #7
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Kids see the names on the cars, and then they see the same names on boxes of something and want to try whatever it is in that box... "

What a load of ****. I would love to see a car sponsored by a tampon company to see the confused looks on a lot of little boys faces. That's all I can right about this subject cause I'm starting to get the chuckles at the thought of kids running around with tampons hanging out their ears and noses.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 04:09 (Ref:390348)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Ok, you've got problems dude.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Sep 2002, 10:33 (Ref:390465)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is all a bunch of bulls***. I have followed F1 with cars sponsored by tobacco companies since I was 8, but I've NEVER smoked. Problem is not sponsorship in cars, the problem of smoking is in everyone's mind...

If smoking is so bad sponsorship has to be prohibited, why not outlaw all the tobacco companies?
Old 28 Sep 2002, 16:50 (Ref:390601)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marlboro can only have logos in IRL.

Lucky Strike can't be in F1, cos of Kool in CART.

http://www.f1-live.com/photos/2002/i.../diapo_222.jpg <- West is allowed.

http://www.f1-live.com/photos/2002/i...diapoa_117.jpg <- Mild Seven is allowed.

Not sure why B&H isn't allowed.
Old 28 Sep 2002, 18:54 (Ref:390631)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"Kids see the names on the cars, and then they see the same names on boxes of something and want to try whatever it is in that box... "
Attached Images

Old 28 Sep 2002, 21:01 (Ref:390718)   #12
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can restrict advertising...but not an industry Jordi!

They say we live in a "free country" (in the west) Let people choose I say!...stop telling us what we can and can't do! How did our parents get through the war anyhow!
Old 29 Sep 2002, 04:25 (Ref:390863)   #13
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Epsilon
Exactly, that's how the tobacco makers try to defend their right to advertise. The goal of tobacco advertising is not to create new smokers, but to alter the brand loyalty of existing smokers. (said in some book I haven't read in ages)
Correct. And it amazes me that beer advertising is bigger then ever. Tabacco money (lots of it) has been in racing for decades, almost as essential as the car manufacturers at one time. They made NASCAR what it is and many teams in many leagues all over the world have tabacoo companies as their main sponsors, more then any other industry.

Its a shame that politics are involved but a sham that more teams dont speak up.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 05:54 (Ref:390875)   #14
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rights to the B&H brand in the usa are owned by Brown and Williamson Tobacco, the same company that owns the "Kool" and "Lucky Strike".
Old 29 Sep 2002, 11:30 (Ref:391010)   #15
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say go the way, take as much money off them as possible, think of it as a way of returning something to the community for all they take out.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 16:26 (Ref:391220)   #16
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually BAR is looking quite good without Luckie's ads and large HONDA decals in side and rear wing. It looks like a real HONDA F1. Maybe a glimpse from future to come?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 29 Sep 2002, 16:39 (Ref:391226)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
You realize the only reason tobacco companies have sponsored racing is because nobody else wants to take their dirty money (or it's been banned).

I'm not suggesting tobacco ads be banned, but if I were a team owner, I'd definately look at non-tobacco sponsorship first. If only tobacco guys stepped up, I guess I'd have to take it. And overall, I think losing the tobacco sponsors will be a good thing for our sport as we (some anyway, including myself) won't have to feel bad about promoting an industry that knowingly kills their customers.