Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1209394)   #1
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motul M1

Ron Dennis' stab at car construction in F2 for 1973.

Ten were built where did they all go?
Recent information suggests that virtually all landed up in N. America, and more information added to the following would be good...

201 Works test car. F1R shows as team spare at Mallory and Pau. Probably Bobby Rahal's first Atlantic car. [In a MN interview in 76/77 he remarks that he had the first Rondel]. Badly damaged by Rahal. Rebuilt by Dwight Zillig [1976] then to Randy Zwimmer for Can Am

202: F1R doesn't give this chassis, which suggests that it was the car sold to Tate of Leeds and used by Chris Meek and later Tom Pryce in F.Atlantic. Used by Meek to win 1974 Northern Single Seater Championship. F/S AS 1976 as NSSC winner unused since 1974

203: F1R says Schenken's car in 73.

204: F1R says Scheckter and then Pryce in 73. To N.America 1974

205: F1R says Jaussaud's car in 73

206: F1R says Pescarolo and Schenken in 73

207: F1R says Wolleck in 73. 1974 Iain McLaren [AS 'ex Wolleck']. FS AS 1/4/76 'ex McLaren'

208: F1R says new for Tom Pryce at Rouen in 73. To North America 1974

209: Unknown. Maybe the Meek car, but unlikely given that car's appearance date. More likely a late season test car.

210: Not used 73-74. Appears as basis of the Safir F2 car run by Patrick Neve at Silverstone in 1975.

In 1974 a host of Rondels appear in the US and Canada

Chris O'Brien [who ran British F3 in early 70s] [ex Pryce so 204 or 208]
Seb Barone [also ex Pryce so 204 or 208]
Al Justason then to Bob Beyea for 1975
Roger Seacrist
Peter Symond
All except Symond appear in the Canadian series, most appear at Watkins Glen at the season end, so there is little possibility of cars being swapped.

If we take all of these together with the two cars that stayed in Britain, there's only one spare chassis to be accounted for, Problem is, who had what!

Chris
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1209416)   #2
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Motul Memories

I attended the Rindt Trophy meeting at Thruxton in 1973 when the Rondel-Motul Team had their best week-end!
In the FINAL Pescarolo was 1st, Wollek 2nd and Jaussaud 5th.
Scheckter had finished 4th in Ht 1 whilst Schenken was 2nd in Ht2

The whole Team was smartly turned out and hyper professional - just what we have come to expect of Ron Dennis.

In July I spotted Tom Pryce in the FAt Motul at Silverstone where he could only manage 7th. I don't remember that this car was particularly succesful but that might be the intervening years playing tricks!

After such a hugely succesful early season result the F2 team was hard pressed to repeat such stunning results!
Old 25 Jan 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1209468)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tha attractive powder blue, red and yellow Rondel colour scheme on their F2 Brabhams then Motul cars was designed by Barry Foley - he of 'Catchpole' fame. He also designed the JPS Lotus liveries.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1209900)   #4
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Foley, well, well, well.

I did wonder, the original body panels for BT36-2 still survive, they look a bit like a crocodile skin, thick plates of cracked blackish brown paint. Underneath is the original gel coat, a very unusual powder blue, almost with a touch of green to it.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1210132)   #5
cirrus
Rookie

cirrus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I helped Token Racing as a gofer, I had to clean up one of the Motuls. It was back for a rebuild, and had been raced by Iain McLaren in Scottish Formule Libre. I've no idea what chassis number it was, unfortunately.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1210687)   #6
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Trundle has one of the Motuls for sale that he has just restored. The paint work has been done by the guys at McLaren so it should look pretty schmick.

Cirrus I assume that would be the same Iain McLaren that had Brabham BT35X-1.

Last edited by Andrew Fellowes; 26 Jan 2005 at 21:09. Reason: Spelling
Old 27 Jan 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1211100)   #7
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fellowes
Neil Trundle has one of the Motuls for sale that he has just restored. The paint work has been done by the guys at McLaren so it should look pretty schmick.

Cirrus I assume that would be the same Iain McLaren that had Brabham BT35X-1.
And "Chocolate Drop"
Old 27 Jan 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1211129)   #8
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Scottish Libre and Sportcars, Iain always had the best cars with only Norman Dickson outdoing him. I can remember Ingliston meetings where he would race his B31 or later B36 Chevron in the sports car race before using his B35 for the Libre race. The last car I can remember him having was a Mclaren M26
I have seen pictures of him with the Motul and the BT35X. I believe he raced and hillclimbed both. I think both cars were sold on during the Mid Seventies.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1230241)   #9
Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Michael Oliver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Winton
In Scottish Libre and Sportcars, Iain always had the best cars with only Norman Dickson outdoing him. I can remember Ingliston meetings where he would race his B31 or later B36 Chevron in the sports car race before using his B35 for the Libre race. The last car I can remember him having was a Mclaren M26
I have seen pictures of him with the Motul and the BT35X. I believe he raced and hillclimbed both. I think both cars were sold on during the Mid Seventies.
Just been looking at some more photos on the web of Iain racing at Ingliston and Croft in a variety of cars including the Motul. Does anybody have any idea whether Iain is still alive, and if so where he might be residing? Sounds like he has owned a very interesting selection of machinery...
Old 16 Mar 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1253195)   #10
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been reading some 1977 A/Sports, which are really fascinating, and come across a chap called Chris Landrum. He was apparently a US deep sea diver (?)and raced a Motul M1 BDG in that year, on the Northern Libre scene. I presume its the ex-Iain Mc car.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1385225)   #11
RondelRacing
Rookie

RondelRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Missing Rondel

Hello, This is Walt, Presently, I have two Rondels. One Complete Car (100%), Second Car 75% Complete, Raced #1 Car for ten years (1978-1988) SCCA and Midwestern Council based out of Northern Illinois, USA. Im using a friends computer and would consider Postal Communication and Telephone at a later date if agreeable, if interested, email a response to Xtrememxer14@aol.com and I will be notified asap. thanks, Walt
Old 7 Jan 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1809080)   #12
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Foley was a STUD!
Great artist and designer.
My hat's off! I only wish I had half the artistic talent.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 14:54 (Ref:1810436)   #13
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
I've been reading some 1977 A/Sports, which are really fascinating, and come across a chap called Chris Landrum. He was apparently a US deep sea diver (?)and raced a Motul M1 BDG in that year, on the Northern Libre scene. I presume its the ex-Iain Mc car.
Motoring News 28 Apr 1977 p31: Landrum had "the ex-Iain McLaren Motul".
Old 10 Jan 2007, 23:33 (Ref:1811888)   #14
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Landrum took the car back to California, scoring points with it in Cal Club SCCA into the late 70s.

Here's the current state of thinking on Motuls. We still hardly know where any of them are.

201: Works spare and development car, to David Ralston [Indiana] then to Bobby Rahal [late 74] to Opert to Mike Rand [1975] thence to Dwight Zilig

202: Tate of Leeds Atlantic car for Meek and later Pryce. Possibly sold to Canada to be either Barone or O'Brien car in 1974

203: Team car for Schenken, probably to USA.

204: Team car for Scheckter, only ran twice, then used by Pryce. Possibly Seb Barone's ex Pryce car in Canada in 74, if not then that of Chris O'Brien
[also ex Pryce] By 1977 probably Dean Lundgreen [Milwaukee] then to Roy Drew [Milwaukee] 1978 as FC, 1983 probably the car for sale by Greg Dauterman, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin ['ex Scheckter']

205: Team car for Jaussaud. Probably to USA

206: Team car for Pescarolo and Schenken. Probably to USA. 1982 Randy Zimmer Can Am

207: Team car for Wolleck, to Iain McLaren then Chris Landrum 1977, to USA and retained to 1979 at least

208: Team car for Pryce in F2. Probably to USA, perhaps the O'Brien or Barone cars

209: Late season second Atlantic car for Tate run for Viv Candy at late season Croft alongside Meek. This or 202 retained for Meek, won Northern Single Seater Champ 1974, f/s in AS 1976, 'not used since 1974'

210: Unraced until 1975 when the basis of the Safir F2

211 [yes we have this chassis no] Unraced F2 car advertised AS Nov 73. Sold to Roger Seacrist USA and used in FB 1974.

Unknown users in USA/Canada 1974
Chris O'Brien [ex Pryce]
Seb Barone [ex Pryce]
Al Justasson, to Bob Beyea 1975
Peter Symond
Old 6 Mar 2007, 08:32 (Ref:1859586)   #15
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
An update on Motul chassis 201

Imported by Opert end '73. Perhaps raced by Mike Rand. Sold to David Ralston, then to Bobby Rahal autumn 1974.
Bobby Rahal sold the car to Tim Fortner and Butch Owsley [San Francisco]. Owsley ran the car for two seasons in SCCA in California.
Sold to Dwight Zillig October 1976.

Chris
Old 19 Apr 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1895286)   #16
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend
Here's the current state of thinking on Motuls. We still hardly know where any of them are.

206: Team car for Pescarolo and Schenken. Probably to USA. 1982 Randy Zimmer Can Am

Al Justason says his car was ex-Pescarolo so it looks like we have a home for 206.

Allen
Old 1 May 2007, 08:13 (Ref:1903977)   #17
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend

I think Chris is offline at the moment so here's a bit more from Al.

Quote:
When I 'retired' I rented the car for two or three races to Bob Beyea of Toronto. I later sold the car to Bill Bovenizer of Toronto.
Here's the car at Max Egli's workshop in Canada. In another picture taken from a different angle you can see "Henri" on the side of the car.

Old 1 May 2007, 08:19 (Ref:1903983)   #18
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

By the way, when Peter Symond appeared, he was entered by Stutz Plaisted Racing. Stutz Plaisted is still around and can be contacted via Stutz Volvo (www dot stutzvolvo dot com) if anyone has time to pursue it.

Did anyone contact Walt above? The man with two Rondels? I didn't notice the post at the time.

Allen
Old 1 Aug 2007, 12:18 (Ref:1978174)   #19
jgwingnut
Rookie

England
Windsor
jgwingnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Wollek’s M1

I was the mechanic that looked after Bob Wollek’s car in 1973. My web site has some photos and memories that may be of some interest. www.jonathangreaves.com
Jon.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 07:13 (Ref:1978803)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jon, excellent stuff, thank you .... and welcome!
Old 28 Aug 2007, 21:36 (Ref:1998761)   #21
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Update on Rondel/Motul M1s

Roger Seacrist's car was not 211! The Model XI that I found noted in an old programme is a red herring. In an ad for the car in Autoweek in 1976 Seacrist gives the chassis number as 208.

Also, O'Brien advertises his car in Autoweek as 'ex Scheckter'. Since it's always described in the press as 'ex Pryce' I think this may be 204, the only Rondel used by both Pryce and Scheckter.

If Barone really has an ex Pryce car this leaves only the ex Tate of Leeds car chassis 202

Chris
Old 13 Oct 2007, 17:58 (Ref:2039346)   #22
chrisobr
Rookie

chrisobr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,

Chris O'Brien here. A few years ago I saw my old Rondel in Randy Zimmer's garage in Buffalo, New York. He had it as a spares cache for his Rondel-based CanAm car. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of it then, but it was definitely my car as I recognized my original light blue paint under the (orange?) that someone had applied to it later on. I also recognized the mirror and rear wing frames my mechanic, David Williamson, fashioned.

The last time I saw it before that was when I sold it back to Fred Opert in late 1974 sometime. I last sat in it in "anger" at Watkins Glen that October. I remember seeing Bobby Rahal there in his Rondel. I figured he was a guy to watch in the future!

I do have some pictures from 1974, but I'm not sure how to post them on this forum.

Cheers!

Chris
Old 13 Oct 2007, 21:31 (Ref:2039462)   #23
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris, A warm welcome!
Can you help at all with confirming the identity of your car? Does 'ex Scheckter/ex Pryce' sound right? Better still, do you have any paperwork from back then?

Hopefully someone can help you with image postings. Failing that, I'm sure Allen Brown would be happy to post them in oldracingcars dot com

Chris
Old 14 Oct 2007, 01:11 (Ref:2039571)   #24
chrisobr
Rookie

chrisobr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm afraid I have nothing in the way of paperwork for the Rondel. I seem to remember hearing that it had been driven by Tom Pryce, but perhaps Scheckter drove it as well. If I advertised it as "ex Scheckter" in Autoweek, someone (likely Fred Opert) must have told me that. Actually, I don't remember advertising my car in Autoweek, but if I did, I guess I ended up selling it back to Fred Opert because there were no takers. All a bit fuzzy, I'm afraid, but it was a long time ago!

Actually, if Randy Zimmer still has the car, I assume he could look for the car's chassis number, but here's what he told me about the car when we first made contact back in April, 2001:
Wow! I haven't talked Rondel in many, many years.
I have three tubs.
201, 206 and an un-numbered spare tub that replaced the one crashed while on the trailer going to the SCCA run-offs in a road accident!
I have actually forgotten which was which.
The one crashed was owned by a fellow who worked for Skip Barber and ran Lime Rock and went to work for Virginia Motorsports Park a couple years ago and I read has left. (sorry, name escapes me but he's still active).
I think the other was the "Save the Whales" car in Canada when it was still competitive.
It is orange and very fresh, nearly unused.
Hope this helps.
Here's the most recent (2004) contact info I have for Randy:
rzimmer@adelphia.net
www.randyzimmer.com/video
The "Save the Whales" car was mine (although it was actually "Save the Seals"), and the reason its tub was so "fresh" was that I crashed the original at Mosport and replaced it with a spare tub that either I already had or got from Fred Opert after the crash. Perhaps my mechanic, David Williamson, transferred the chassis plate to the new tub (which I presume is perfectly above-board). As I remember, the car was in pretty good shape when I sold it.

I hope all this info will be helpful.

Chris

Last edited by John Turner; 14 Oct 2007 at 19:43. Reason: Great info, Chris, but we always delete personal address and tel.nos for obvious reasons. Have left email address in as that also appears on his website - JT)
Old 15 Oct 2007, 08:09 (Ref:2040494)   #25
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Chris's photos:

Watkins Glen 1974

Edmonton 1974

Trois Rivieres 1974