Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Oct 2001, 22:18 (Ref:166755)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cochrane's big head

"We're the premier motor racing series in the world. CART, get out of the paddock, that's ours!"

Who does he think he is!? He claims that their facilities at the Gold Coast are substandard. Well, excuse me, but space at this particular facility is limited, and there does appear to be another certain race going on. I've got no problem with the Gold Coast race being made part of the championship. However, it is CART's show, Tony, they can do what they please.

Cochrane is just proving once again, that he doesn't really care about the fans.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 00:23 (Ref:166781)   #2
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony is trying to get the V8s a better deal at this event by getting more V8 racing there.

How exactly is that bad for the fans ?
Old 29 Oct 2001, 00:44 (Ref:166788)   #3
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you mac.

I thought it was really arrogant of TC to trash the Indy organisers on national TV, as well as Barry Sneene to do the same, and for Ten to go along with it for that matter.

Space is limited at the circuit. That is how it is and it can't be changed.

The V8s don't have to be there. The event will survive without them. When I watched the Sunday morning race, some of the stands were half full, even on the main straight.

I just don't believe people would go only for the V8s.

Why on earth would you pay so much money just to watch a 20 minute V8 race?? People go for the event, not a particular category.

Anyway, the racing was pretty boring, wasn't it? Why does a field that is so close in qualifying, has so many good cars, and so many excellent drivers, end up being so spread out over just 20 minutes?? Something is going dreadfully wrong with the category. It will cease to exist in a few years if they are not careful.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 00:54 (Ref:166790)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason everybody was taking it easy was because they didn't want to prang their cars at a demo race when they have to be loaded on a boat for New Zealand Tuesday.

The support races at Indy have always been a hassle - the last couple of years they were 2 weeks before Bathurst. Who wants to risk such huge panel damage on their cars for 3 races that don't mean anything ?
Old 29 Oct 2001, 01:12 (Ref:166794)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
then why bother having the races at all if the drivers are only half assed about the event.

either make it part of the championship or get rid of it I say..the indy will survive because its a top line event ..get rid of the V8's and put in F Ford/ F3/ Formula Holden or something like that will show off our open wheel drivers.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 03:33 (Ref:166811)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only way the V8s were going back to Indy next year would have been as an official round...but of course that has been canned.

Is it fair to say that Cochrane is the Mundine of the motorsport world?

To be honest, the place was chockers on Thursday and Friday, mainly to see the V8s. Saying that, the atmosphere at the track is what gets a lot of punters in...however, I do think that the attendance was down on Sunday.

Timing was against them, and thus they put on a half arsed show.

Re- FH/F3 etc...all of the classes are in place on shear entertainment value alone these days. To be honest, the Champ car guys wouldn't give two hoots who is racing out there (ok, there were some corker comments from some of the Champ Car mechanics to the BRute driver)...they would be better off bringing back the HQs or something.

It was a bit sad to see some of the team's tactics, and it is no secret that everyone hates the joint (there are so many people who have tried to pack up their transporters on Saturday and leave...). But full marks go to HRT for the great game plan. Give Skaife the old car, while Bright developes a case of, ummmm, tonsilitis. Funny that the poor boy was too sick to drive (after setting the 4th fastest time when he was out there) but alright enough to hang around and have a chat. Kudos to them
Old 29 Oct 2001, 04:28 (Ref:166813)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The turkey may well be just trying to get the best deal he can for his crowd, but does he have to antagonise everyone and make a joke of Australians to do so?

The impression taken away by the visitors must be terrible...
Old 29 Oct 2001, 08:11 (Ref:166848)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cochrane has to remember they are a support cattegory not the main event. At the V8 rounds they don't give the other classes the facilities they enjoy.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 08:42 (Ref:166857)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony would have to be the biggest ******** in Australian motorsport and it is a shame that he vents his feelings with the same amount of tact and intelligence as Pauline Hanson. Yes, he has done a good job for the V8 series but the whole idea of a race that isn't a race should never have been condoned in the first place.

The Mundine of motorsport is one inspired piece of writing Crash

Bring on the F/Fords or the HQ's. If the V8's don't want to race there, good luck to them.

Last edited by Alan Jones; 29 Oct 2001 at 08:43.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 08:50 (Ref:166858)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael H
I agree with you mac.

I thought it was really arrogant of TC to trash the Indy organisers on national TV, as well as Barry Sneene to do the same, and for Ten to go along with it for that matter.

I couldn't agree more. But wait, I think it is even worse.
Ten are financial stakeholders in the V8 show and so they announce the last V8 race at Indy. Portray it as the Indy guys not being fair (by interviewing Tony Chochrane) then do a whip around of the crowd to get a 100% "I only come for the V8's" viewpoint with the totally unbiased reporter Russell Ingal.

Anyone smell a rat? And I don't mean a DJR Ford driver.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 09:03 (Ref:166860)   #11
Alan Jones
Veteran

Good point Moff, I saw that and was thinking the same thing.

So, will 10 end up not having the rights to televise CART ?

The backlash could be worse than any lack of space for the V8's
Old 29 Oct 2001, 09:10 (Ref:166862)   #12
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have raced at many meetings around Australia and the worst I have ever been treated was at Cochrans circus's. He doubled (or more) the costs of running in a support race at any V8 meeting and cut track time to a minimum.
I'm glad that they have been treated the way they treat others. What comes round goes round.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 10:13 (Ref:166873)   #13
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
Tony would have to be the biggest ******** in Australian motorsport and it is a shame that he vents his feelings with the same amount of tact and intelligence as Pauline Hanson. Yes, he has done a good job for the V8 series but the whole idea of a race that isn't a race should never have been condoned in the first place.

The Mundine of motorsport is one inspired piece of writing Crash

Bring on the F/Fords or the HQ's. If the V8's don't want to race there, good luck to them.
Well said AJ.

Tony ****ed off the GTP crowd last week with his comments that the Konica race at Bathurst waas better than the GTP 2 hour race and that he was going to look at the program for next years bathurst, meaning that he didnt want them back. Problem is that it is not up to Tony who runs at Bathurst. He likes to make out that he runs everything, but he really is only a small player in a big field.
There is an excellent response to his rantings from Ross Palmer on the procar forums, http://www.procar.com.au/forum/topic...ce&whichpage=1
I think this gives a fair idea of what other promotors think of him.

I also wrote a letter to AA last week bagging Tony C, but funny thing it wasnt printed , but they wil print mindless drivel about the fantastic 2 litre series.

Last edited by mtpanorama; 29 Oct 2001 at 10:18.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 00:08 (Ref:167217)   #14
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny when you look at all the hotels no-one is watching the cars. To much goes on, on the balconies. On Friday it took us 1 1/2 hours before we noticed nothing had been on the track. So yes a lot of people like the V8's and watch them, but that is not what they go for.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 03:46 (Ref:167241)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
The whole event has become a social weekend & people will turn up regardless of what support categories they have. How bigheaded of Cochrane to think people won't turn up because there are no V8's. I for one think there should be at least one of our open wheeler categories at an international open wheeler meeting. V8's or no V8's i will certainly be back next year.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 05:02 (Ref:167253)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I agree jetsetter ..thats why I suggested F ford / F3 or formula holden ....these classes really do need to get the exposure so they have a chance at leats to develop ..the V8's have enough races as it is ..so missing Indy isnt going to hurt them ..and im sure the public will get over it.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 05:54 (Ref:167261)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, V8s have no bearing on the crowd, FFord, F3 & FHolden should be on the support bill at the AGP and Honda Indy, as long as they could get a good field.

On Cochrane, his comments on the Indy situation don't really suprise me, remember when he tried to ask Bobby Rahal to change the Honda Indy date because he wanted to have a V8 race somewhere else that weekend, what a loser.

For me though, Nothing will match the way he reacted to when the WA Gov't turned down a street race proposal, he was so childish, acting as if he was insulted that they didn't want to pay all that money for a street race when they could put some money into Barbagallo, then going on to say he would purposly put a V8 race on the same weekend as Rally Australia next year. That never happened. He also said V8s would never return to Barbagallo, guess where they are going next year, Barbagallo. What a goose.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 06:04 (Ref:167265)   #18
Alan Jones
Veteran

should be spelt Cockrane
Old 30 Oct 2001, 07:03 (Ref:167273)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There have been some great calls in this forum, I am most impressed. I have to agree about everything people are saying about Cochrane. He doesn't care about anything about his pocket. That question thing by rusty at Indy was pathectic and than garth Tander saying that V8's were the reason why people turn , was a joke. Most of the people Ingall interviewed were most probably plastered, or walking around in VB beer can clothes. Also Cochrane bagging out of the GTP race was a terrible , terrible act, what kind of person bags out on suport races at their race. The Konica race wasn't that exciting either, i think the only good thing was seeing Wakefield and White going to aside around Macphilimy Park or however you spel it.
I hadn't planned on going up to Indy next year, because Tv does it good justice, however with the V8's gone, hopefully Formula Holden , F3 and maybe even some Super Tourers may be there, I think I might just make the trip up there next year.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 08:09 (Ref:167287)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it would be a great showcase for F3 etc, except the Cart team owners etc really couldn't care less...

"I hadn't planned on going up to Indy next year, because Tv does it good justice..."
-Huh?? You can't be serious!
Old 30 Oct 2001, 08:17 (Ref:167295)   #21
Brock
Rookie

Brock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Cochrane the only person other than Ita Butrose that you could drowned you by having them talk to you. Cochrane and Schenken both legends of Australian Motorsport Just ask they will tell you. Actually a Team I was crewing on in the early 90,s supplied Schenken with the wheel to hang his garden hose on.......................
Old 30 Oct 2001, 09:45 (Ref:167316)   #22
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia

Cochrane & Schenken are both a lot of things but legend's certainly not.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 13:32 (Ref:167395)   #23
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get stuck into Cochrane yes, but the Schenkens are family friends of mine. My Dad works with Tim in Race Control at the F1 GP and I am close friends with his twin daughters.

He has always been a nice guy to me over the years, and I think you should know a bloke before you have the right to totally bag him out.

That's my two cents anyway.

Cameron
Old 30 Oct 2001, 22:17 (Ref:167652)   #24
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having worked with Tim at numerous meetings, I would have to agree with you on that one Vandas. Tim is a nice guy, just don't ever get on the wrong side of him though.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 22:52 (Ref:167672)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Vandas
Get stuck into Cochrane yes, but the Schenkens are family friends of mine. My Dad works with Tim in Race Control at the F1 GP and I am close friends with his twin daughters.

He has always been a nice guy to me over the years, and I think you should know a bloke before you have the right to totally bag him out.
Whether Tim is a nice guy or not has nothing to do with his indecisions, inability to maintain a consistent frame of mind from one season to another (let alone one race to the next) or, even more importantly, ever accept that he is human like the rest of us and makes mistakes like the rest of us - heaven forbid he will ever admit to making a mistake.

He also refuses to acknowledge there is any other motor sport in this country other than his beloved F1 and V8's - his attitude, in race control, when any other category is on the track has to be seen to be believed - he has nothing but contempt for any other category.

As for Sevi's comment about not getting on his wrong side - how bloody true! He was a 1970's F1 driver of a 'few' races and he relies on that as his past experience (ever notice how he never mentions he was an Australian Formula Ford Champion?)