Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 7 Apr 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3724389)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington Park rounds 4,5 & 6 2017

next weekend we got the BTCC hitting Donington Park and hopefully got the start line shunts out of the way from last time out.

I wonder what role our bank holiday weather going to play a part as normally bank holiday = rain
Old 7 Apr 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3724402)   #2
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to see whether MG and Subaru are back on the pace. HARD should do well, Epps and Hill really shone at Brands and Donington should suit the VWs more.

Hoping for 6 different winners in 6 races again!
Old 7 Apr 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3724413)   #3
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal has no ballast on a track where the Honda always went well

so expect him front row
Old 12 Apr 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3725863)   #4
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG and Subaru will be in a better place with zero ballast.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3725954)   #5
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting point from Tin Top Tuesday was that Tom Chilton mentioned Kevin Berry was involved in some of the design work for the PMR Astra, obviously squeezed that in between leaving BMR & rejoining WSR 😉
Old 12 Apr 2017, 20:43 (Ref:3725966)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Interesting point from Tin Top Tuesday was that Tom Chilton mentioned Kevin Berry was involved in some of the design work for the PMR Astra, obviously squeezed that in between leaving BMR & rejoining WSR 😉
Building up some FWD data before WSR change to the next 1-series?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3726032)   #7
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Building up some FWD data before WSR change to the next 1-series?
He's a motorsport consultant through his company Code Automotive.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 07:08 (Ref:3726048)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
He's a motorsport consultant through his company Code Automotive.
So not quite leaving and joining teams as was described?

All the same, perhaps it was an ideal opportunity to gain more NGTC FWD data and experience, that can be useful to have in the portfolio.
Has he worked with many other FWD NGTC cars do you know?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3726053)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Has anyone read the BMW/WSR press release ahead of the Donington rounds? Turks, Collard and Bennetts all get in a mention that Donington is a "FWD circuit". I found that an interesting thing to read in all three statements...

http://www.wsr-racing.com/team-bmw-want-more-success
Old 13 Apr 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3726064)   #10
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
MG and Subaru will be in a better place with zero ballast.
Mat Jackson is also very light - disappointing at Brands and a shame to lose a potential R3 win / podium.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3726074)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Mat Jackson is also very light - disappointing at Brands and a shame to lose a potential R3 win / podium.
With so many potential front-runners in the field this season, I suspect every round will see quite a few of the fancied cars running low ballast.

This time, we have (of the predicted pre-season favourites):

0 ballast - Neal, Austin, Taylor-Smith, Plato and the Brands pole man J.Smith.

All of the BMWs have some ballast on, so perhaps their 'reminder' that Donington is a FWD circuit also compensates for some possible slower times in qualy?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3726100)   #12
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Has anyone read the BMW/WSR press release ahead of the Donington rounds? Turks, Collard and Bennetts all get in a mention that Donington is a "FWD circuit". I found that an interesting thing to read in all three statements...

http://www.wsr-racing.com/team-bmw-want-more-success
It's possibly because of the sweeping bends and the often bad weather which really does the BMW no favours.
Quote:
So not quite leaving and joining teams as was described?

All the same, perhaps it was an ideal opportunity to gain more NGTC FWD data and experience, that can be useful to have in the portfolio.
Has he worked with many other FWD NGTC cars do you know?
He designed the Mg in 2012 and was with triple eight for years. He is a WSR employee, but the consultancy will be a year round job.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3726127)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
IHe designed the Mg in 2012 and was with triple eight for years. He is a WSR employee, but the consultancy will be a year round job.
Ahh right. Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps I misunderstood it and read it as an employee who was moving teams.

I understand a lot of information does move around the paddock, it seems strange to me (as an outsider) for a WSR employee to be assisting any of their opposition?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3726137)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Ahh right. Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps I misunderstood it and read it as an employee who was moving teams.

I understand a lot of information does move around the paddock, it seems strange to me (as an outsider) for a WSR employee to be assisting any of their opposition?
Maybe "employee" was the wrong word. He's more of a contractor. It's not unusual if he's got his own consultancy company. For example, the Audi Le Mans engineers were outside contractors too, it's how a lot of them operate. The btcc is a 6 month season, they need to fill in the other months with work too.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3726529)   #15
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
I think we could see a suprise HARD VW win, maybe R3. Hill & Epps going very well in FP1 so far; hopefully they can continue that over the weekend
Old 15 Apr 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3726600)   #16
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest continual conclusion to be drawn from all the times in sessions of late is that these cars are FAR too easy to drive. All drivers within 102.5% of the pole time. BTCC and Alan Gow try to use this as reason to wax lyrical about the competitiveness of the series; but in reality it just shows how homogenous and uninteresting it has become.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3726613)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
The biggest continual conclusion to be drawn from all the times in sessions of late is that these cars are FAR too easy to drive. All drivers within 102.5% of the pole time. BTCC and Alan Gow try to use this as reason to wax lyrical about the competitiveness of the series; but in reality it just shows how homogenous and uninteresting it has become.
I don't think that conclusion is one that can be drawn easily.
The grid at the moment has less drivers and teams that are competing on a 'gentleman' basis.

True - The front runners are constrained by performance balancing to be not too far ahead, but also the back runners are operating to a higher standard than in previous seasons.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3726646)   #18
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
So much for the Subarus being nowhere!

Two drivers who failed to get a single point at Brands in the top five!

Motorbase surprisingly low down - especially Mat Jackson.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3726649)   #19
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutton on pole, Plato in 17th. Blimey. HARD looking good, Goff and Austin proving their pace was no fluke at Brands Hatch, meanwhile BMW are further down than they would like...
Old 15 Apr 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3726667)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think with the rain predicted tomorrow, the BMWs and perhaps the Subaru's too will struggle.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3726668)   #21
thlbtcc
Veteran

Excellent driving from Sutton. Someone else doesn't have a leg to stand on now.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3726669)   #22
thlbtcc
Veteran

Remember when Triple Eight where competitive?
Old 15 Apr 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3726675)   #23
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Sutton and Hill excluded - Austin on pole!
Old 15 Apr 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3726682)   #24
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Sutton and Hill excluded - Austin on pole!
Wow.
Old 15 Apr 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3726691)   #25
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think with the rain predicted tomorrow, the BMWs and perhaps the Subaru's too will struggle.
Agreed Donington has a tricky wet surface which never really agrees with the BMWs, plus it's quite a cold circuit with the wind, so their front tyres are never up to optimum temperature.