Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3281313)   #46
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Love this race track....
Old 25 Jul 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3281348)   #47
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Dallas, TX
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Love this race track....
+1! First time I experienced the track was through an F1 video game on my old PlayStation 2... I fell in love with that track back when I was six or seven and still love it, though I was distraught to here of its 'demise". Turns out, they'll be coming back! Great news!!!

So we've got New Jersey, Sochi, AND Austria coming on board next year... that's 21 tracks, a few have to go...

For one, I don't think Sochi will be on the 2014 calendar. The skeptic in me says that the potentially disastrous Olympics next year will be bad enough to keep F1 away from more controversy (although, as you once said, Jeremy, we LOVE drama over here in the F1 side of the racing world... ).

Essentially, my guess is that Bernie will stick to 20 races, and Sochi will be removed at the last second. Apart form the rather, <ahem>, scandalousness going on regarding Sochi right now, last time I checked, the funding for the 2014 Russian Grand Prix is null.

But back onto Austria: it's still a great track, but to be quite honest, I'm surprised Bernie approves. He had that street circuit in Argentina idea going, as well as Paul Ricard HTTT (which is a wonderful track I can vouch for!) and Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez (another great "old guard" track), and yet he throws the bone to... Austria?

It seems odd to me, but no complaints, because the setting is absolutely paradisal, and the track, although it was pruned and scrubbed, yes, it still retained its charm, thank God.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3281397)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ricard is a nice facility, but would need upgrades left right and centre to house the f1 lot. i don't know if you went inside the pit building but it's decent enough for a smaller meeting, but for things like wsr upwards the media centre is too small, the building doesn't have enough space for the paddock club fluff and the roads are a big issue. it's also about 2-3 hours from the monaco gp, and within 6 is the barcelona and monza races. the catchment area is pretty saturated.

basically he would have to invest a lot of his money to make it happen - the french aren't keen on paying for it. the austrian race is presumably being bankrolled to an appropriate degree by red bull themselves, including more bogs, more grandstands, the odd improvement to the permanent stuff here and there.

like i said before, the heritage might be there but the local interest really isn't. but like someone else points out elsewhere, it's pretty easy for other europeans to get to, petrol is well priced and the tolls aren't too bad as long as you don't use the tunnel to graz. don't expect to be able to fly there though, airports are expensive and infrequent.

and sochi will happen. i know you like to trumpet social and political injustice, but the funds disappearing and all that stuff really isn't going to stop it. it's not even going to be noticed at the olympics. much of it is built and being used for test events already. there will be funding, especially if they deem sirotkin to be ready in time.