Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3759755)   #2601
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sooooooo cuuuuuute as they say…*And what type of carbs is this charming lady using to cook? I can't hide I do appreciate Dellorto's but SU's would be fine. Forget about Solex's they are bad and Weber's too common…
May be you can post a good recipe for the Dover sole!! Historic style 'f course.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3759785)   #2602
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fancy a 'new' Lotus Elan Le Mans Coupe?

https://www.iwr.org.uk
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3759795)   #2603
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

Nice. Le Mans Coupe but didn't race there, according to the info! Crashed at the 'Ring in a race beforehand. Great period pics though, including one of the crashed car at the bottom.

I wonder how many other cars or car model specifically intended for LM never made it? Certainly the Morgan SLR is another. It's also been written in the Gilbern mag recently that in the 60s an owner had an idea to race one there. He got as far as visiting the circuit with it during testing, but after that the idea went no further...... What could have been!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3759796)   #2604
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

That's an interesting one - not the least because, according to the blurb, it didn't make it to Le Mans.

Ah! Mike got in whilst I was enjoying the story on the web site.

I like the idea of Sir Jackie Stewart driving it rather well (it suggests) in its first race but, if one is being pedantic, it was plain Mr. Stewart back then.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3759811)   #2605
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Nice. Le Mans Coupe but didn't race there, according to the info! Crashed at the 'Ring in a race beforehand. Great period pics though, including one of the crashed car at the bottom.

I wonder how many other cars or car model specifically intended for LM never made it? Certainly the Morgan SLR is another. It's also been written in the Gilbern mag recently that in the 60s an owner had an idea to race one there. He got as far as visiting the circuit with it during testing, but after that the idea went no further...... What could have been!
Nothing to do with the subject but a character from Kent turned up at Arras Classic Show a couple of years ago with a Gilbern prototype. I gather it was unfinished at the time the factory went down & that the current owner eventually acquired it & completed the build. It's not unlike a Piper to look at.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3759815)   #2606
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Nothing to do with the subject but a character from Kent turned up at Arras Classic Show a couple of years ago with a Gilbern prototype. I gather it was unfinished at the time the factory went down & that the current owner eventually acquired it & completed the build. It's not unlike a Piper to look at.
Yes the T11 prototype. You can read more here- http://gilbern.co.uk/a-brief-history...bern-cars-ltd/

I had a chat a few years ago with the guy that built if up and he said the Maxi cable gearchange caused a lot of head scratching to get it to work with the engine behind rather than in front!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3759824)   #2607
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes the T11 prototype. You can read more here- http://gilbern.co.uk/a-brief-history...bern-cars-ltd/

I had a chat a few years ago with the guy that built if up and he said the Maxi cable gearchange caused a lot of head scratching to get it to work with the engine behind rather than in front!
That's the one. He's a bit of a character. Despite coming from Deal his trip to Arras was the first time he'd ever been abroad!

We get a few Brits from that part of the world as the Arras organisers go across to the Folkestone show on August Bank Holiday & talk people into coming.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3759873)   #2608
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

Bob will be thrilled! We've finally moved on from Renault gearboxes ....to Maxi gear linkages.

Perhaps it's time for a discussion comparing & contrasting the various merits of the Austin Maxi & Renault 16?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 05:23 (Ref:3759874)   #2609
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
BBMF- So, what's going on with their Merlin engines? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-40957271

There's an airday near here on Sunday but they weren't due, so at least that won't be affected. Wonder about the Revival, they usually do a flypast there.

Would be good to know whether a component issue or whatever. Do they build and maintain the engines themselves?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 05:59 (Ref:3759875)   #2610
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
BBMF- So, what's going on with their Merlin engines? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-40957271

There's an airday near here on Sunday but they weren't due, so at least that won't be affected. Wonder about the Revival, they usually do a flypast there.

Would be good to know whether a component issue or whatever. Do they build and maintain the engines themselves?
I seem to recall the engines are maintained by a company in Gloucestershire - the name evades me but I think they are also involved in racing.

BBMF do usually come to Goodwood but there are usually several other warbirds too. However, Duxford Battle of Britain show is normally the same weekend as Goodwood, neaning a lot of aircraft flit between the two, but this year Duxford is a couple of weeks later.

I eagerly awaited the Red Arrows at Cromer Carnival on Look East last night but the fire alarms went off in BBC's Norwich studio so we got cricket instead. Very boring!
Old 17 Aug 2017, 06:29 (Ref:3759876)   #2611
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Possibly, but more to do with a Prime Minister who wanted to make doubly certain that his constituents, and those in the next-door constituency, kept their jobs up in Glasgow.

The initial contract was written in such a way that the cost to the taxpayer would have been greater to cancel the order for the two carriers rather than build them. And if cancelled, the only beneficiaries would have been the main contractors who would have made a huge profit for doing absolutely nothing except acknowledging the receipt of the notice to cancel.
Oddly enough shipping contracts appear to be written like this as a general rule. It's called rescision and if you rescind a contract then your liabilities go not only to the original value of the contract but the lost priofits etc. I stand corrected because I am a bit rusty on this, but I have seen it in reverse where a contractor got something wrong and the contract was rescinded. He had to return all the payments made and pay the difference in cost for the client to have the boat built elsewhere.

Out of interest, if somewhat boring, construction contracts don't usually have this clause because they include a level of ascertained damages that the client will claim in the event of a delay/default. The Contractor OTOH can claim either loss of profit and retain all previous payments for work done, or damages at law, if the Client defaults.

Contracting for beginners.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3759878)   #2612
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Interestingly the replica discussed in the article is the car that tipped me into the Pouhon barriers back in 2009.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 06:50 (Ref:3759880)   #2613
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Your Beeb info isn't clear, they say it has to do with Merlin engines but affects others too. Might it be the fluids, oil or gas may be? Same thing in historic racing sometimes…
Old 17 Aug 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3759890)   #2614
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Returning to Renault 16 engines for a moment, am I right in thinking that a tuning company (Hermes, perhaps?) put a Europa-spec engine & gearbox in the back of a Renault R8?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 08:19 (Ref:3759895)   #2615
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, you mean they re-invented a 1.6 litre 8 Gordini? A car I never appreciated, I'd rather the Simca Rallye 2 or, better, Rallye 3. I had a strange record with my R2 during a rallye, with not less than 29 other competitors asking for seeing it in bits… This day scrutineering was sharp!
Old 17 Aug 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3759904)   #2616
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mrs MM had a Simca Rallye as her first car. Would it have been 1300cc? Had a bag of sand in the front to keep it on the ground!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Aug 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3759905)   #2617
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>I seem to recall the engines are maintained by a company in Gloucestershire - the name evades me but I think they are also involved in racing.

Would that be Retro Track and Air or something like that? The guy who bought my S2000 took it there for resto

Old 17 Aug 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3759913)   #2618
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, you mean they re-invented a 1.6 litre 8 Gordini? A car I never appreciated, I'd rather the Simca Rallye 2 or, better, Rallye 3. I had a strange record with my R2 during a rallye, with not less than 29 other competitors asking for seeing it in bits… This day scrutineering was sharp!
Gerard, have you seen the value of R8 Gordini's? I bet you wish you had one of those tucked away. They are almost up there with the Alpine Renault these days. I guess there are a few fake ones too...
Old 17 Aug 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3759914)   #2619
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>I seem to recall the engines are maintained by a company in Gloucestershire - the name evades me but I think they are also involved in racing.

Would that be Retro Track and Air or something like that? The guy who bought my S2000 took it there for resto

That sounds kind of familiar. I think they are in the Forest of Dean or something. My late partner came from Gloucester & she always claimed folk from that part of the world were a little strange. Her point was rather proven when a couple from the Forest of Dean came to live next door to us in Surrey!!
Old 17 Aug 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3759916)   #2620
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Yes it is them.

Always like the Simca Rallye models- especially the more potent one(s) with front mounted radiator. Guess any that are left must be worth loads of dosh......
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3759917)   #2621
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yes it is them.

Always like the Simca Rallye models- especially the more potent one(s) with front mounted radiator. Guess any that are left must be worth loads of dosh......
A couple of them regularly turn up at local events. One of them is painted an extremely loud Kermit green, the other is red.

If I could put pictures on here... It's always defeated me.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3759926)   #2622
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
If I could put pictures on here... It's always defeated me.
Yes, the computer gods seem to smile down on some members of this site, whilst the devil seems to control some of our 'putters!

Other posters seem to have no trouble posting blocks of six pictures but no matter what I do, my pictures always go one on top of the other taking up much more space.

It's all a mystery to me.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3759927)   #2623
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John, I'll pm about pics later, just in case it will help!

Going back to the grounded Memorial Flight, appears during routine inspection some metal debris was found in the oil of one engine. So until the source is identified, the other planes are not flying. All makes perfect sense to me, and no different to modern plane safety requirements.

As usual the Beeb are talking a load of ******** about it on the JV prog. Makes me very cross so switched off!
Old 17 Aug 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3759937)   #2624
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
......As usual the Beeb are talking a load of ******** about it on the JV prog. Makes me very cross so switched off!
Whenever that programme starts I reach for the 'off' button. Can't stand it.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3759957)   #2625
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes John because some ask for around 50k€ for a 8 Gordini, many R8 are now "gordinised". The case of the Rallye 3 is almost the same but they made so few its easier to spot the fake one. But still you can be proposed a chassis plate from one hand and a car from the other!
The Alpine A110 alias Berlinette are above 120 now, even the Spanish or Brazilian or Bulgarian ones. I know quite well Perigord's Moulages' owner who started with body spares for them. One day it came to his mind that it would be easy to make assemblies…
Closed Thread