Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Feb 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3373063)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gov consults on closed roads for motor sport

This has been raised on the Historic Racing forum, but clearly it's most relevant for rallying. The MSA has released this call for contributions to the consultation: http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/n...losedRoads.pdf

No doubt it has gone out to all MSA licence holders, but anyone may contribute. So please do!

John
Old 28 Feb 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3373073)   #2
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the importants bit condensed into one post:

The full proposal can be read here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ary_FINAL.docx

The government are asking for public response to the questions on page 23: I have shown them below (in bold) to save to you time, along with the MSA recommended answers.

Q1. Do you agree with the proposal to give local authorities the powers to allow motor sport events on public roads subject to the local consultation? If you disagree please give reasons.
Yes I agree. The UK leads the world in terms of motor sport with the industry generating an estimated £9bn for the economy annually and employing 41,000 people in 4,300 companies. Yet the UK lags behind much of the rest of the world, including the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland, in not allowing motor sport events to take place on closed public roads.

Allowing motor sport events to be held on closed public roads will provide an economic boost to host communities; support the growth of UK motor sport and the associated industry; allow engaging events to be created; and create a valuable platform for taking road safety messaging to the wider public.

Q2. Do you agree that local authorities should be able to close roads for motor sport events? If you disagree please give reasons.
Yes I agree. Empowering local authorities to be able to close roads for motor sport events would represent a positive devolution of power. It will mean that local people, rather than politicians in Westminster, will be able to determine what happens on the roads in their region and will ensure that Parliament does not need to spend its valuable time debating whether or not to close a road somewhere in the country. It is an important principle that no organisation other than the Local Authority should be granted powers to close its roads, as this ensures that no event can be forced upon a region against the will of the locally elected Authority.

Q3. Do you agree that local authorities should have the power under certain circumstances to suspend the speed limit and applicable road traffic regulations? If there are any traffic regulations you would prefer not to see suspended, please give reasons.
Yes, I agree that local authorities should have the power under certain circumstances to suspend the speed limit and applicable road traffic regulations. This is on the understanding that the road traffic regulations are replaced by established and robust sporting regulations, as laid down by the MSA and ACU, to ensure that all events are well organised, properly regulated and fully insured.

Q4. Do you agree that the Motor Sports Association and the Auto Cycle Union should be the “Authorising Authority” for any motor sport events on public roads?
Yes I agree. The Motor Sports Association (MSA) and the Auto-Cycle Union (ACU) both have many decades of experience of governing four- and two-wheel motor sport in the UK. The MSA is recognised by motor sport’s world governing body, the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), as the sole national sporting authority for four-wheel motor sport in the UK. The ACU is similarly recognised by the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) as the national sporting authority for two-wheel motor sport in the British Isles. They are the only organisations with the experience, knowledge and resources necessary to act as the Authorising Authorities for any motor sport events on public roads.

With the MSA and ACU as Authorising Authorities, only drivers and riders who have been formally licensed for competition by the governing bodies would be eligible to take part in motor sport events on closed public roads. The MSA and ACU licensing structures are suitably robust and rigorously enforced to ensure that licensed competitors are suitably competent to take part in the motor sport events they enter.

Q5. Do you agree that the Sports Ground Safety Authority could provide valuable expertise and guidance to ensure motor sport events on roads can be delivered safely?
No, I doubt that the SGSA would be able to add value in this environment. Both the Motor Sports Association (MSA) and the Auto-Cycle Union (ACU) operate comprehensive, long-established and successful risk management programmes for four- and two-wheel motor sport respectively.

Motor sport is a unique and complex sporting activity and requires specific experience and expertise to deal with its diverse events and venues, and especially to manage the risks associated with vehicles travelling at speed which is unique to our sport. It seems unlikely that the SGSA would be able to offer anything valuable in this context over and above the experts from the MSA and ACU, other than perhaps the facilitation of a forum for liaison with the necessary statutory bodies.

Furthermore, the involvement of another body simply introduces an additional layer of bureaucracy that inevitably adds costs to organisers and competitors alike.

At the very least copy and paste the above, or better still type your own reply if you have time and send it to:

msc@culture.gsi.gov.uk
Old 28 Feb 2014, 15:40 (Ref:3373220)   #3
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I've had several emails about this - hope it happens.

Anyone know of any events / organisers likely to make use of the legislation if this is passed? The only one I've heard of so far is the Rally of the Midlands.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3373271)   #4
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of organisers are looking at this and have been for a couple of years. Realistically we are looking at perhaps three road based rallies while there will be other smaller sprints/hillclimbs. There is more info and the likely areas on the Historic thread.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3373275)   #5
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a great opportunity for a Lotus spectacular around Alexandra Palace. I fancy an F1 demonstration,historics and a Lotus free-for all (eg 100 cars, 4 or 5 miles of closed roads). Held annually.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3373958)   #6
ProCo2020
Rookie

England
SE England
ProCo2020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please submit your approval for this change in the legislation, if you haven't done so already.

We only have one chance at getting closed roads in the UK, and this is it.

Follow me on Twitter @bryanhull or @rallymatcher
Old 4 Apr 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3388632)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/motor...ots-motorsport
Old 11 Jul 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3432780)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well this is interesting:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-28261960

Looks like it may be a goer
Old 11 Jul 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3432898)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gosh! I really thought that the recent Jim Clark tragedies would at best kick it into the long grass!
JOhn
Old 11 Jul 2014, 19:39 (Ref:3432955)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Gosh! I really thought that the recent Jim Clark tragedies would at best kick it into the long grass!
JOhn
Agreed - I didn't think it would go through, the best I'd thought might happen was a delay of the decision. I'm not sure how many events will take place on closed roads but it does open up some possibilities.
Old 12 Jul 2014, 10:22 (Ref:3433135)   #11
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most experienced organisers, including myself, don't see much future in this. May be for really big events with a professional team but for club events it would be doubtful for all sorts of reasons.
The MSA want it so they have use some short lengths of road in north wales to link forest tracks on the Rally GB.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3434118)   #12
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is mainly aimed at the big organisers but that is no bad thing.

For me, its great as it brings the possibility of 'real' tarmac rallying to England. That's got to be good news for young competitors who at the moment have the expense of going to Ireland, Scotland or France to get meaningful experience. Have we ever had a genuinely world-class tarmac performer in the modern era? Tony Pond on a good day maybe but that's about it.

It might also bring some decent-quality events to areas that previously haven't had much rallying due to lack of forests - for example you could see a viable BRC Rally of the Midlands in the very rural (and non-touristy) borderland areas of Leicestershire/Northamptonshire/Rutland, maybe based at Rockingham...
Old 16 Jul 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3434360)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I applaud the decsion, but would love to know why it was passed?

It benefits so few people.

It could open up the roads for big bike races like the NW200 in Scotland or Wales which would be awesome,a dna far better use of public roads in my eyes that rallying.

Rallying with these new rules needs to totally get the marshals and stewartds on board, if it doesnt we can ahve more fatalities, and this law has just given someone a rod to bash them with.

Closed roads fine, but only for certain events, I do not think this country is big enough or quiet enough anywhere to close roads for days on end